Re: Text files from VMS to Windows - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Text files from VMS to Windows - VMS ; From: Kake.gdp@gmail.com > I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and There aren't many _new_ VAX/VMS V5.5 systems. Plain V5.5, not even V5.5-2? > I should save/import all needed information from it. Well ...

  1. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    From: Kake.gdp@gmail.com

    > I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and

    There aren't many _new_ VAX/VMS V5.5 systems. Plain V5.5, not even
    V5.5-2?

    > I should save/import all needed information from it. Well I got a few
    > (read thousands) important text files that I need to be able to read
    > in the Windows systems. But notepad/wordpad/word is not opening the
    > files right. All the line changes are missing. If there is a line
    > change between two words, the words are written together (ex. likethis
    > line change between like and this) .
    >
    > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    I'd probably try Zip and UnZip, which can normally do the required
    format conversion, alyhough that may depend on the unzip program you use
    on the destination side. (Info-ZIP UnZip should do it.)

    From: JF Mezei

    From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    > Now if it works on *5.5*, well... :-)

    Oh, ye of little confidence...

    WIMP $ zip -v
    Copyright (c) 1990-2006 Info-ZIP - Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
    This is Zip 2.32 (June 19th 2006), by Info-ZIP.
    Currently maintained by Onno van der Linden. Please send bug reports to
    the authors using http://www.info-zip.org/zip-bug.html; see README for
    details.

    Latest sources and executables are at
    ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip,
    as of above date; see http://www.info-zip.org/ for other sites.

    Compiled with VAX C for VMS (V5.4 VAX) on Mar 24 2008.
    [...]

    That's the latest released version.

    WIMP $ zip30h -v
    Copyright (c) 1990-2008 Info-ZIP - Type 'zip "-L"' for software license.
    This is Zip 3.0h02 BETA (March 21st 2008), by Info-ZIP.
    Currently maintained by E. Gordon. Please send bug reports to
    the authors using the web page at www.info-zip.org; see README for
    details.

    Latest sources and executables are at
    ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip,
    as of above date; see http://www.info-zip.org/ for other sites.

    Compiled with VAX C for VMS (V5.4 VAX) on Mar 24 2008.
    [...]

    That's the latest unreleased version.

    That was using VAX C V3.1-051. If you have any trouble with anything
    newer, please complain. If you have anything older, you're still
    welcome to complain, but actual help may be harder to come by.

    From: Kake.gdp@gmail.com

    > This is a bit annoying, but I was unable to google zip for VMS. Any
    > idea where to look?

    Nah, that's not annoying. What's annoying is an "unable to do"
    complaint with no description of what you tried to do. I searched for:
    zip unzip vms
    and got nothing but useful links. Including:

    From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=

    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/

    and:

    From: JF Mezei

    From: Hein RMS van den Heuvel

    > FTP MGET in TEXT mode should do just fine

    True, but if you want to preserve some directory structure, Zip may
    be more convenient.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    > > FTP MGET in TEXT mode should do just fine

    > True, but if you want to preserve some directory structure, Zip may
    > be more convenient.

    Hello and thanks for every one helping. I checked with another FTP-
    client and managed to get the files right using mget in text mode.
    Also having a zip in the machine helps alot in other backup tasks
    needed to be done.

+ Reply to Thread