Text files from VMS to Windows - VMS

This is a discussion on Text files from VMS to Windows - VMS ; Hello, I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and I should save/import all needed information from it. Well I got a few (read thousands) important text files that I need to be able ...

  1. Text files from VMS to Windows

    Hello,

    I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and
    I should save/import all needed information from it. Well I got a few
    (read thousands) important text files that I need to be able to read
    in the Windows systems. But notepad/wordpad/word is not opening the
    files right. All the line changes are missing. If there is a line
    change between two words, the words are written together (ex. likethis
    line change between like and this) .

    I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

  2. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    Kake.gdp@gmail.com wrote:

    > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    How are you transfering the files from the legacy VMS system to the
    abomination called Windows ?

    If you use kermit or FTP, both have a text mode which should
    automatically convert the files from the vms native format to
    Microsoft's chosen/proprietary text file format.

    ZIP on VMS (assuming you have a recent enough version, although I doubt
    it would run on 5.5) should also be able to pack a gazillion text files
    in a platform neutral text file format and then the ZIP on Windows
    should unpack it to the Virus operating systems's native text file format.

    VMS text files are typically variable record files, where first 2 bytes
    inducate the length of each record. a CR at the end of the record may or
    may not be present.

  3. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    On 24 maalis, 10:54, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Kake....@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    > How are you transfering the files from the legacy VMS system to the
    > abomination called Windows ?
    >
    > If you use kermit or FTP, both have a text mode which should
    > automatically convert the files from the vms native format to
    > Microsoft's chosen/proprietary text file format.
    >
    > ZIP on VMS (assuming you have a recent enough version, although I doubt
    > it would run on 5.5) should also be able to pack a gazillion text files
    > in a platform neutral text file format and then the ZIP on Windows
    > should unpack it to the Virus operating systems's native text file format.
    >
    > VMS text files are typically variable record files, where first 2 bytes
    > inducate the length of each record. a CR at the end of the record may or
    > may not be present.

    This is a bit annoying, but I was unable to google zip for VMS. Any
    idea where to look?

  4. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    Kake.gdp@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 24 maalis, 10:54, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Kake....@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    >>> files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    >> How are you transfering the files from the legacy VMS system to the
    >> abomination called Windows ?
    >>
    >> If you use kermit or FTP, both have a text mode which should
    >> automatically convert the files from the vms native format to
    >> Microsoft's chosen/proprietary text file format.
    >>
    >> ZIP on VMS (assuming you have a recent enough version, although I doubt
    >> it would run on 5.5) should also be able to pack a gazillion text files
    >> in a platform neutral text file format and then the ZIP on Windows
    >> should unpack it to the Virus operating systems's native text file format.
    >>
    >> VMS text files are typically variable record files, where first 2 bytes
    >> inducate the length of each record. a CR at the end of the record may or
    >> may not be present.

    > This is a bit annoying, but I was unable to google zip for VMS. Any
    > idea where to look?

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/

    Now if it works on *5.5*, well... :-)

    Jan-Erik.

  5. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    Kake.gdp@gmail.com wrote:

    > This is a bit annoying, but I was unable to google zip for VMS. Any
    > idea where to look?

    http://www.info-zip.org

  6. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    On Mar 24, 3:26*am, Kake....@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    How did you het the files over?

    FTP MGET in TEXT mode should do just fine

    Standard Windows tools are not smart enough to read OpenVMS files
    The 20 years old OpenVMS version you use does have the smarts to
    create a file suitable for Windoze usage. You could write a quick DCL
    script to convert each file to STREAM-CR-LF format before
    transferring.

    Create an file perhaps called STREAM.FDL just containing:
    RECORD
    FORMAT STREAM

    Now go sit in a loop doing $CONV/FDL=STREAM old new

    Hein.

  7. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    Kake.gdp@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and
    > I should save/import all needed information from it. Well I got a few
    > (read thousands) important text files that I need to be able to read
    > in the Windows systems. But notepad/wordpad/word is not opening the
    > files right. All the line changes are missing. If there is a line
    > change between two words, the words are written together (ex. likethis
    > line change between like and this) .
    >
    > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    How did you copy the files?

    VMS stores text files as There is not normally
    any carriage return or linefeed at the end of a line. Carriage control,
    if needed, is added when the files are displayed by "PRINT" or "TYPE".

    If you use FTP to copy the files, as text files, the receiving end will
    add the appropriate carriage control; e.g. Windoze will append ,
    Unix will append , etc. If you copy as binary, files will be
    recreated, bit for bit, on the receiving end. Another VMS system would
    prepend the character count!

    If you copy your files to a CD or a floppy disk, they will be left in
    whatever format VMS stored them in.

  8. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    In article <1a5ecb45-170a-4c6c-890e-15cff6291a4a@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Kake.gdp@gmail.com writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem. My old Vax/VMS 5.5 is going be shut down (R.I.P) and
    > I should save/import all needed information from it. Well I got a few
    > (read thousands) important text files that I need to be able to read
    > in the Windows systems. But notepad/wordpad/word is not opening the
    > files right. All the line changes are missing. If there is a line
    > change between two words, the words are written together (ex. likethis
    > line change between like and this) .
    >
    > I can't do all of them files by hand. I need to be able to open the
    > files as they are in VMS. Can someone help me with this?

    What are you using to transfer the files between VMS and Windows?
    Ordinary FTP will get this right IF you transfer files as text.

  9. Re: Text files from VMS to Windows

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Kake.gdp@gmail.com wrote:
    >> This is a bit annoying, but I was unable to google zip for VMS. Any
    >> idea where to look?

    > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware80/
    >
    > Now if it works on *5.5*, well... :-)

    I have an UNZIP 5.12 which I believe was linked
    on VMS 5.5-2.

    At least my assumption is that:
    linker identification: "05-09"
    means just that.