How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface - VMS

This is a discussion on How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface - VMS ; I have a two-node NI Cluster with nodes that have two network interfaces each. I want to dedicate each node's EWA interface to TCPIP and other networking stuff, while EWB handles SCS traffic. By not configuring DECnet and TCPIP on ...

  1. How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    I have a two-node NI Cluster with nodes that have two network interfaces
    each.

    I want to dedicate each node's EWA interface to TCPIP and other
    networking stuff, while EWB handles SCS traffic.

    By not configuring DECnet and TCPIP on EWB I make sure that it does not
    run there. BY stopping SCS on EWA (using SYS$EXAMPLES:LAVC$STOP_BUS) I
    make sure that EWA carries no SCS.

    The only thing that remains is, DNS$ADVER claims a few EWBn: instances
    that I'd like to remove. What is the magic NCL-incantation that causes
    the DNS$ADVER process not to start on EWB?

    This is Alpha, VMS 6.2-1H3, DECnet-Plus T5.0.3

    Thanks,
    Wilm

    --
    Wilm Boerhout Zwolle, NL
    remove OLD PAINT from return address to reply

  2. Re: How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    Wilm,

    the only supported method to do this is the DNS$ETHERNET_DEVICE
    logical, but it's only available in DECnet-OSI V7.3-2 ECO 1 or higher.
    I've recently answered this over in ITRC:

    http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1211669

    That question mentioned a crude workaround as "def/sys/exec ewb0 nul"
    - maybe you can try, if that helps for your old version of DECnet-
    Plus.

    Volker.

  3. Re: How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    on 22-3-2008 14:41 Volker Halle wrote...
    > Wilm,
    >
    > the only supported method to do this is the DNS$ETHERNET_DEVICE
    > logical, but it's only available in DECnet-OSI V7.3-2 ECO 1 or higher.
    > I've recently answered this over in ITRC:
    >
    > http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...readId=1211669
    >
    > That question mentioned a crude workaround as "def/sys/exec ewb0 nul"
    > - maybe you can try, if that helps for your old version of DECnet-
    > Plus.

    Thanks Volker, I'll give it a try. Funny to see in hindsight what my
    search terms should have been :-)

    --
    Wilm Boerhout Zwolle, NL
    remove OLD PAINT from return address to reply

  4. Re: How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    On 22 อมา, 18:57, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
    > on 22-3-2008 14:41 Volker Halle wrote...
    >
    > > Wilm,

    > > the only supported method to do this is the DNS$ETHERNET_DEVICE
    > > logical, but it's only available in DECnet-OSI V7.3-2 ECO 1 or higher.
    > > I've recently answered this over in ITRC:

    > >http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...er.do?threadId...

    > > That question mentioned a crude workaround as "def/sys/exec ewb0 nul"
    > > - maybe you can try, if that helps for your old version of DECnet-
    > > Plus.

    > Thanks Volker, I'll give it a try. Funny to see in hindsight what my
    > search terms should have been :-)
    >
    > --
    > Wilm Boerhout š š š š š š š š š š šZwolle, NL
    > remove OLD PAINT from return address to reply

    Wouldn't that hide EWB0 completely? What happens if some other
    software wants to use EWB0? As far as I understand removing DNS$ADVER
    from EWB0 is to make EWB0 completely free from any applications.
    Probably because another application wants it all. Charon?

  5. Re: How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    on 23-3-2008 16:23 vadim.model@srm.ru wrote...
    [...]

    > Wouldn't that hide EWB0 completely? What happens if some other
    > software wants to use EWB0? As far as I understand removing DNS$ADVER
    > from EWB0 is to make EWB0 completely free from any applications.
    > Probably because another application wants it all. Charon?

    No, I want EWA0 to use VMS TCP/IP and DECnet, and EWB0 just to use SCS.
    My guess, like yours Vadim, is that the suggested "define" hides EWB0
    from all protocols. Furthermore, I'd like to get the syntax right before
    I try.

    $ DEF /SYS /EXE EWB0: NL: now this I'd understand, but NUL?

    --
    Wilm Boerhout Zwolle, NL
    remove OLD PAINT from return address to reply

  6. Re: How to stop DNS$ADVER running on EWB interface

    Wilm,

    this 'workaround' seems to be very crude and I've never said it would
    work, just that it has been mentioned in ITRC.

    SCS will be started on EWB automatically during boot (if PEDRIVER is
    loaded). So if you define a EWB0 logical - even with some illegal
    value - before DECnet-Plus starts, there is a good chance that DNS
    $ADVER will fail to assign a channel and therefore not be able to
    start it's protocol(s) on EWB. This is your only chance on V6.2-1H3,
    as there is no other mechanism to prevent this. If this works, you
    could then probably de-assign
    the logical again, so that other protocols could be started on EWB.

    Volker.

+ Reply to Thread