Patching: some questions from a relative newbie - VMS

This is a discussion on Patching: some questions from a relative newbie - VMS ; Hi, I go through phases with OpenVMS it seems. Not having any real hardware to worry about means that I can switch on the emulated system whenever I care to, and leave it off for six months or a year. ...

  1. Patching: some questions from a relative newbie

    Hi,
    I go through phases with OpenVMS it seems. Not having any real
    hardware to worry about means that I can switch on the emulated system
    whenever I care to, and leave it off for six months or a year.
    Theoretically it'll just be fine when I get back. Anyhow, I'm in one
    of those phases now, with some questions about patches and versions of
    OpenVMS.
    I have Personal Alpha, and what seems to be VMS 8.2. I say seems to
    be because because of a strange result I got when patching today. I
    tried to install PCI-v0200, which I understand is a recommendation for
    everybody. It didn't install, claiming that the dependent product,
    DEC AXP OpenVMS V8.2, wasn't installed.
    The system I have says 'Welcome to OpenVMS Alpha Operating System,
    Version E8.2' when I log in. What is this E business? It seems to
    conflict with installations.
    Another patch-related question for you guys. I saw the 1100 Update
    patch for v8.2. I couldn't install it, naturally, because of the
    failed PCSI one. What I was wondering is what about patches I don't
    really need? Patches for an ADA runtime library which doesn't exist
    on my system, for instance. I'm just a little confused about that,
    but the thought of manually picking and choosing patches I do need
    scares me to death in more ways than one. I'll die of boredom and/or
    strained fingers from typing the same commands over and over.
    Any help or information about these questions would be appreciated.
    I'm slowly trying to learn the ropes, but it's slow going. So it
    goes.
    Thanks,
    Zack.

  2. Re: Patching: some questions from a relative newbie

    On Mar 22, 4:45 am, Zack Kline wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I go through phases with OpenVMS it seems. Not having any real
    > hardware to worry about means that I can switch on the emulated system
    > whenever I care to, and leave it off for six months or a year.
    > Theoretically it'll just be fine when I get back. Anyhow, I'm in one
    > of those phases now, with some questions about patches and versions of
    > OpenVMS.
    > I have Personal Alpha, and what seems to be VMS 8.2. I say seems to
    > be because because of a strange result I got when patching today. I
    > tried to install PCI-v0200, which I understand is a recommendation for
    > everybody. It didn't install, claiming that the dependent product,
    > DEC AXP OpenVMS V8.2, wasn't installed.
    > The system I have says 'Welcome to OpenVMS Alpha Operating System,
    > Version E8.2' when I log in. What is this E business? It seems to
    > conflict with installations.
    > Another patch-related question for you guys. I saw the 1100 Update
    > patch for v8.2. I couldn't install it, naturally, because of the
    > failed PCSI one. What I was wondering is what about patches I don't
    > really need? Patches for an ADA runtime library which doesn't exist
    > on my system, for instance. I'm just a little confused about that,
    > but the thought of manually picking and choosing patches I do need
    > scares me to death in more ways than one. I'll die of boredom and/or
    > strained fingers from typing the same commands over and over.
    > Any help or information about these questions would be appreciated.
    > I'm slowly trying to learn the ropes, but it's slow going. So it
    > goes.
    > Thanks,
    > Zack.

    Zack,

    Welcome to Comp.os.vms. You are not the first to ask such a question,
    and I am sure that others merely sit in silence.

    From my memory, without checking my files, it sounds like you are
    running the pre-release kit ("Early adoptors kit"). The patches are
    against the actual release. The first step is to update your version
    of OpenVMS to either 8.2 or 8.3 (I presume that you are running for
    private educational purposes under the Hobbyist program).

    Once you have updated the system to the actual release, you will be
    able to apply all of the patches as issues.

    As to the missing ADA library, I would suspect that ADA was released
    AFTER the early adopters kit was issued. Switching to the real release
    will resolve that problem as well.

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  3. Re: Patching: some questions from a relative newbie

    Bob Gezelter wrote:

    > Zack,
    >
    > Welcome to Comp.os.vms. You are not the first to ask such a question,
    > and I am sure that others merely sit in silence.
    >
    > From my memory, without checking my files, it sounds like you are
    > running the pre-release kit ("Early adoptors kit"). The patches are
    > against the actual release. The first step is to update your version
    > of OpenVMS to either 8.2 or 8.3 (I presume that you are running for
    > private educational purposes under the Hobbyist program).
    >
    > Once you have updated the system to the actual release, you will be
    > able to apply all of the patches as issues.
    >
    > As to the missing ADA library, I would suspect that ADA was released
    > AFTER the early adopters kit was issued. Switching to the real release
    > will resolve that problem as well.

    Hi Bob,
    Thank you very much for the quick response. I got this kit, which I
    am indeed using on a hobbyist license, from someone a couple years
    ago. I haven't really used it seriously until now, and so it makes
    sense that the pre-release might've been what I got.
    I've just ordered a new hobbyist kit from Montagar. With any luck
    it'll arrive here at my house before I need to leave for university.
    In the meantime I'll just enjoy what I have here and learn. V8.2
    can't be too different from v8.3.
    I'll worry about patching when I get the new kit. For what it's
    worth, I really am liking VMS so far. It's a great system, and very
    different from much I'm used to. I'm glad the community's as nice as
    it is round here.
    Signing off for now. Thanks again.
    All the best,
    Zack.

  4. Re: Patching: some questions from a relative newbie

    Zack,

    OpenVMS E8.2 is the FIeldtest version of OpenVMS Alpha V8.2. As Bob
    already said, you need the OpenVMS Alpha V8.2 Operating System CD to
    install the 'real' version, before you can install any patches.

    Volker.

+ Reply to Thread