Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices? - VMS

This is a discussion on Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices? - VMS ; Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated. Please reply to rfc2307@gmail.com Thanx in advance for all ...

  1. Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.
    Please reply to rfc2307@gmail.com

    Thanx in advance for all your assistance

  2. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    rfc2307@gmail.com wrote:

    > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.
    > Please reply to rfc2307@gmail.com
    >
    > Thanx in advance for all your assistance

    "Best practice" is a current industry buzz-phrase, highly-prized among
    the ITIL crowd (some say "idle" when they mean "eye-til").

    Other than that, it is basically meaningless.

    "Best Practice" tends to be site-specific, and industry-wide
    generalizations have very little value in that context.

    That said, the on-line documentation site:
    http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc

    ....has some valuable documentation available, especially the System
    Management manuals. Again, these are not specific to any site or
    industry.

    Dunno if this helps.

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

  3. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    In article <75da0787-9aa4-4eef-96eb-8d9ae220f1cc@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, rfc2307@gmail.com writes:

    > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.

    Your use of the term "Tripwire" in the title is not clear,
    but for the body of your post, consider:

    http://www.ljk.com/ljk/checklists.html

    > Please reply to rfc2307@gmail.com

    Ask here, get an answer here.

  4. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    On Mar 22, 12:50*pm, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > rfc2...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > > platform. *Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.
    > > Please reply to rfc2...@gmail.com

    > > Thanx in advance for all your assistance

    > "Best practice" is a current industry buzz-phrase, highly-prized among
    > the ITIL crowd (some say "idle" when they mean "eye-til").
    >
    > Other than that, it is basically meaningless.
    >
    > "Best Practice" tends to be site-specific, and industry-wide
    > generalizations have very little value in that context.

    It should be a Best Practice not to get too preachy in a newsgroup
    post.

    > That said, the on-line documentation site:http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc
    >
    > ...has some valuable documentation available, especially the System
    > Management manuals. Again, these are not specific to any site or
    > industry.
    >
    > Dunno if this helps.
    >
    > David J Dachtera
    > (formerly dba) DJE Systems

  5. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    On Mar 22, 6:14*pm, Kilgal...@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    > In article <75da0787-9aa4-4eef-96eb-8d9ae220f...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, rfc2...@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > > platform. *Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.

    > Your use of the term "Tripwire" in the title is not clear,
    > but for the body of your post, consider:
    >
    > * * * *http://www.ljk.com/ljk/checklists.html

    Why are thos checklists .COM files?

    > > Please reply to rfc2...@gmail.com

    > Ask here, get an answer here.

  6. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    In article <75da0787-9aa4-4eef-96eb-8d9ae220f1cc@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, rfc2307@gmail.com writes:
    > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.
    > Please reply to rfc2307@gmail.com

    I would monitor the use of inexperienced people managing VMS
    systems.

  7. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    In article , tadamsmar writes:
    > On Mar 22, 6:14=A0pm, Kilgal...@SpamCop.net (Larry Kilgallen) wrote:
    >> In article <75da0787-9aa4-4eef-96eb-8d9ae220f...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.c=

    > om>, rfc2...@gmail.com writes:
    >>
    >> > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    >> > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    >> > platform. =A0Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.

    >> Your use of the term "Tripwire" in the title is not clear,
    >> but for the body of your post, consider:
    >>
    >> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.ljk.com/ljk/checklists.html
    >>

    > Why are thos checklists .COM files?

    Because they are primarily created for use with the LJK/Security
    tool that reads the commands and tests the system to see if it
    is configured in a secure fashion. The checklists express that
    notion of security in terms used by NIST Special Publication
    800-53, but that is a good general use document.

    If you insist on having a checklist that is totally in prose format,
    there is one at

    http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/checklist...lst-v2r2-3.zip

    but in my highly biased opinion it does not represent a good rendition
    into the VMS environment of the actual needs are for security according
    to DoD Instruction 8500.2.

    Of course if you are subject to DoD Instruction 8500.2, adhering to
    that DISA list might be important, but people in such circumstances
    already knew that. The corresponding LJK/Security checklist for use
    with DoD Instruction 8500.2 is not public.

  8. Re: Tripwire on OpenVMS Best Practices?

    tadamsmar wrote:

    > On Mar 22, 12:50 pm, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    > > rfc2...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > Good Morning, I'm looking for any information on best practices on
    > > > what to monitor, that is Operating System specific on the OpenVMS
    > > > platform. Any information or lessons learned would be appreciated.
    > > > Please reply to rfc2...@gmail.com

    > > > Thanx in advance for all your assistance

    > > "Best practice" is a current industry buzz-phrase, highly-prized among
    > > the ITIL crowd (some say "idle" when they mean "eye-til").
    > >
    > > Other than that, it is basically meaningless.
    > >
    > > "Best Practice" tends to be site-specific, and industry-wide
    > > generalizations have very little value in that context.

    > It should be a Best Practice not to get too preachy in a newsgroup
    > post.

    Possibly. However, PHB's put a lot of value on such worthless things.
    So, we have to make sure we set the record straight.

    David J Dachtera
    (formerly dba) DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread