OT: Another massive credit card theft - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: Another massive credit card theft - VMS ; I think I need to stand corrected. Just use Google and it appears that credit card validation no longer uses the expiry date in its logic. Perhaps this dates back to the 13 digit cards. I really regret losing the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    I think I need to stand corrected. Just use Google and it appears that
    credit card validation no longer uses the expiry date in its logic.
    Perhaps this dates back to the 13 digit cards.

    I really regret losing the code I had gotten while working at a bank
    that verified the card numbers. It was all in there :-)

  2. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 05:54:59 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > I've bought a used computer (Alphastation 500) from a dealer, that had
    > Boeing Corporation files on it, including a cute little DCL procedure to
    > disable license checking.

    So Boeing was cheating on licenses. Didn't think you could disable from
    DCL.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  3. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    http://www.merriampark.com/anatomycc.htm

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  4. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 05:54:59 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've bought a used computer (Alphastation 500) from a dealer, that
    >> had Boeing Corporation files on it, including a cute little DCL
    >> procedure to disable license checking.

    > So Boeing was cheating on licenses. Didn't think you could disable
    > from DCL.

    You can do just about anything from DCL if you're willing to work at it.
    It is not always the best way to do something. AIRC this was a script
    to compile and link a short Macro program that simply returned success.
    Substitute the executable for the license checking code and you're home!

  5. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:43:04 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 05:54:59 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've bought a used computer (Alphastation 500) from a dealer, that
    >>> had Boeing Corporation files on it, including a cute little DCL
    >>> procedure to disable license checking.

    >> So Boeing was cheating on licenses. Didn't think you could disable
    >> from DCL.
    >>

    > You can do just about anything from DCL if you're willing to work at it.
    > It is not always the best way to do something. AIRC this was a script
    > to compile and link a short Macro program that simply returned success.
    > Substitute the executable for the license checking code and you're home!

    Well, that isn't DCL, is it?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: OT: Another massive credit card theft

    Tom Linden wrote:

    >> I really regret losing the code I had gotten while working at a bank
    >> that verified the card numbers. It was all in there :-)

    > http://www.merriampark.com/anatomycc.htm

    The code I had was Tandem assembler code used in the Tandem machine that
    handled credit card and ATM transctions (front end switch). It was the
    *real* validation code used in a real canadian bank :-)

    Perhaps my memory was clouded and what the banks did was set up a second
    check digit (part of the first 15 digits) whose logic included the
    expiration month and whether the expiration year was odd or even.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2