SMTP mail failure - VMS

This is a discussion on SMTP mail failure - VMS ; Hiya, OpenVMS 7.2-1, TCPware 5.4 and SMTP mail does not work. Mail command: MAIL /SUBJECT=TEST/SELF "SMTP%""user.name@abc.nl""" NETCU DEBUG/TCP and DEBUG/IP doesn't show any activity at all If I telnet /port=25 it debugs al right, and I can connect to the ...

  1. SMTP mail failure

    Hiya,

    OpenVMS 7.2-1, TCPware 5.4 and SMTP mail does not work.

    Mail command:
    MAIL /SUBJECT=TEST/SELF "SMTP%""user.name@abc.nl"""

    NETCU DEBUG/TCP and DEBUG/IP doesn't show any activity at all
    If I telnet /port=25 it debugs al right, and I can connect to the mail
    server and send mail.

    Logging:

    Mon Mar 17 15:00:18 2008
    Processing queue file _AXP$DKA0:[SYS0.TCPWARE.SPOOL]SMTP-VMSMAIL.
    00A76BC8-14129B3F;1
    MAIL FROM:
    RCPT TO:
    ARRIVAL_TIME: 17-MAR-2008 15:00:18
    going to alias lookup on: user.name@abc.nl
    After alias expansion and duplicate elimination:
    RCPT TO: (PENDING)
    Doing MR lookup on INI|abc.nl.
    Locating gateway.
    Attempting net send to mailgate.abc.nl.
    SMTP: will try mailgate.abc.nl without nameservice
    SMTP: FORWARDER not appended to MX list
    SMTP: all host lookups failed: error: Resolver Error 0 (no error)
    RCPT TO: (RETURN, error: Resolver Error 0 (no
    error))
    Returning mail to backup
    $SNDJBCW: Job SMTP-RETURN (queue TCPWARE_SMTP, entry 41) pending
    Mail processing completed normally

    No DNS is used in this segment, no MX records, the mail server can
    reach this node.

    The nodes are all *.xyz.nl , mail addresses are *.abc.nl

    What is causing this problem?

    Thnx,

    Bob.

    Configuration:
    ==============

    "TCPWARE_SMTP_DELIVERY_RECEIPTS" = "TRUE"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_FORWARDER" = "mailgate.abc.nl"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_FORWARD_REMOTE" = "TRUE"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_HEADER_SYS" = "*"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_POSTMASTER" = "BACKUP"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_QUEUE" = "TCPWARE_SMTP"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_RETRY_INTERVAL" = "0 02:00:00.00"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_RETURN_INTERVAL" = "5 00:00:00.00"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_SEND_CLASS" = "16"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_SERVER_LOG" = "TRUE"
    "TCPWARE_SMTP_SYMBIONT_LOG" = "TRUE"
    "TCPWARE_VMSMAIL_HEADER_CONTROL" = "ALL"
    "TCPWARE_VMSMAIL_LOCASE_USERNAME" = "TRUE"
    "TCPWARE_VMSMAIL_REPLY_CONTROL" = "REPLY-TO"
    "TCPWARE_VMSMAIL_USE_RFC822_TO_HEADER" = "TRUE"

    $ tcpware config/mail
    Process Software Mail Configuration Utility V5.4
    [Reading in configuration from TCPWARE:START_SMTP_LOCAL.COM]
    [Reading in configuration from TCPWARE:START_SMTP.COM]
    MAIL-CONFIG>show
    SMTP host name: none (will use IP host
    name)
    Host name alias file: none
    Postmaster userid: BACKUP
    Forwarder: mailgate.abc.nl
    Send all REMOTE mail to forwarder: TRUE
    Send all LOCAL mail to forwarder: FALSE
    DECnet mail domain: none
    Failed local mail will be returned to sender.
    Retry Interval: 120 minutes
    Return Interval: 120 hours
    VMS Mail REPLY control: REPLY-TO
    VMS Mail header control: ALL
    Use RFC822 To: header as VMS Mail To: TRUE
    Lowercase username on outgoing VMS Mail: TRUE
    Disallow user Reply-To's: FALSE
    Delivery Receipts enabled: TRUE
    PSImail delivery disabled: FALSE
    Include Resent Headers on VMS MAIL forwards: TRUE
    Alias file name: TCPWARE:SMTP_ALIASES.
    SEND broadcast class: 16
    Start queue manager: TRUE

    Number of SMTP server queues:
    Node name Count
    --------- -----
    (default) 1

    No queue groupings.

    $ type tcpware:hosts.
    #
    # HOSTS.
    #
    # Define host names and their internet addresses.
    #
    # Syntax: internet-address host-name [alias[ alias...]]
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost LOOPBACK
    10.1.40.25 AXP.xyz.nl
    10.1.5.105 mailserver.xyz.nl mailgate.abc.nl abc.nl

  2. Re: SMTP mail failure

    bkortlandt wrote:
    > Hiya,
    >
    > OpenVMS 7.2-1, TCPware 5.4 and SMTP mail does not work.
    >
    > Mail command:
    > MAIL /SUBJECT=TEST/SELF "SMTP%""user.name@abc.nl"""
    >
    > NETCU DEBUG/TCP and DEBUG/IP doesn't show any activity at all
    > If I telnet /port=25 it debugs al right, and I can connect to the mail
    > server and send mail.
    >
    > Logging:
    >
    > Mon Mar 17 15:00:18 2008
    > Processing queue file _AXP$DKA0:[SYS0.TCPWARE.SPOOL]SMTP-VMSMAIL.
    > 00A76BC8-14129B3F;1
    > MAIL FROM:
    > RCPT TO:
    > ARRIVAL_TIME: 17-MAR-2008 15:00:18
    > going to alias lookup on: user.name@abc.nl
    > After alias expansion and duplicate elimination:
    > RCPT TO: (PENDING)
    > Doing MR lookup on INI|abc.nl.
    > Locating gateway.
    > Attempting net send to mailgate.abc.nl.
    > SMTP: will try mailgate.abc.nl without nameservice
    > SMTP: FORWARDER not appended to MX list
    > SMTP: all host lookups failed: error: Resolver Error 0 (no error)
    > RCPT TO: (RETURN, error: Resolver Error 0 (no
    > error))
    > Returning mail to backup
    > $SNDJBCW: Job SMTP-RETURN (queue TCPWARE_SMTP, entry 41) pending
    > Mail processing completed normally
    >
    > No DNS is used in this segment, no MX records, the mail server can
    > reach this node.
    >
    > The nodes are all *.xyz.nl , mail addresses are *.abc.nl
    >
    > What is causing this problem?

    Do you have any SMTP ECOs applied? Here is a like to the latest
    ECO available for 5.4-3 (which is REAL old) -

    ftp://ftp.process.com/support/54_3/smtp_v543p090.zip

    Listed in the readme is this fix -

    - Provide a new version of the SMTP symbiont that can resolve
    names out of either the HOSTS file or DNS. (D/E 6266)
    ECO SMTP_V543P010
    ECO rank: 3 (corrects a specific problem)

    regards
    Mike

    Michael Corbett Email: Corbett@process.com
    Process Software Phone: 800 722-7770 x369
    959 Concord St. 508 879-6994 x369
    Framingham MA 01701-4682 FAX: 508 879-0042

  3. Re: SMTP mail failure

    Hi Michael,

    It is indeed the cause of the problems; when bypassing the hosts. file
    by putting the ip address (between squire brackets] of the mail server
    as forwarder, and removing all references in the hosts. file to the
    mail server, I was able to send mail.

    Thnx for help!

    Greetz, Bob.

+ Reply to Thread