Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded - VMS

This is a discussion on Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded - VMS ; Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the dsvconfig file. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    Geoff

  2. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?

    If you are running the real decnet (DECNET 4):

    MC NCP SHOW KNOWN NODES CHAR

    This should show the decserver node with whatever MOP file is to be sent
    to it.

    for more recent version of VMS, you can also have Decservers loaded via
    LANCP. But LANCP appeared well after DECservers left digital, so it is
    less likely someone would have configured your host to serve MOP
    requests via LANCP.

    essentially, the DECSERVER sends a boadcast MOP request, and some host
    on the lan is expected to reply to it. It is identified/authenticated by
    its ethernet address .

    When powering up your decserver, look at a console (or do a REPLY/ENABLE
    from the SYSTEM account) to see if it causes any opcom messages about a
    decserver requesting a mop download.

  3. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    Geoff,

    look at one of your running DECservers with the command Local> SHOW
    SERVER STATUS - it should list the MAC address of the load host, which
    has last loaded this server. Find out, if that node is still available
    in your network.

    Volker.

  4. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > Geoff

    I had a problem once with a DECServer 200 that wouldn't boot. They will
    boot using either DECnet/MOP or TCP/IP bootp. However they last booted
    successfully is how they will try to boot next time. When a DECserver
    was powered up before the VAX that should have provided the boot load,
    it went hunting and found an X86 server that responded to a BOOTP
    request. Needless to say, the image it loaded was useless.

    I had to connect the DECserver to the VAX with a crossover cable to get
    it straightened out. Once it booted using MOP, it was OK again.

    So check if there is something else they could be trying to boot from.

  5. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    On Mar 19, 4:32 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <7cc8c443-d810-4796-b796-671a24694...@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, geoffrey....@eskom.co.za writes:
    >
    > > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > > Geoff

    > Are you using the LANCP or NCP to manage the MOP database?

    I'm using ncp
    Geoff

  6. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article <7cc8c443-d810-4796-b796-671a24694f79@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:
    > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > Geoff

    Are you using the LANCP or NCP to manage the MOP database?

  7. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <47E106CD.20504@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >>I had a problem once with a DECServer 200 that wouldn't boot. They will
    >>boot using either DECnet/MOP or TCP/IP bootp.

    > I've never seen any IP support on something as old as a 200. Are
    > you sure it wasn't a later model?

    I could have been a later model. This was many years ago and my memory
    grows DIMM.

  8. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > Geoff

    Has there been any modifications of the LAN? New (routing) switches
    installed? I recommend you to do like JF suggested: log in to the VMS
    machine and issue the command REPLY/ENABLE then power cycle a DECserver
    200 and look at the OPCOM messages you get on your terminal. If you can
    see messages about the MOP load requests, then the LAN doesn't affect
    the loading for that DECserver. If everything works normally, you should
    also see when the loading was completed.

    It would be good to look what is happening with the DECserver at the
    same time. The port #1 is the "console" port by default. Connect a
    terminal to it and then power cycle the DECserver and see what messages
    you get. There you should see that the DECserver is trying to load its
    software.

    By following the VMS messages on both the VMS server and the DECserver
    you should find out where the problem is.

    Good luck.

    Regards,

    Kari

  9. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article <47E106CD.20504@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:

    > I had a problem once with a DECServer 200 that wouldn't boot. They will
    > boot using either DECnet/MOP or TCP/IP bootp.

    I've never seen any IP support on something as old as a 200. Are
    you sure it wasn't a later model?

  10. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article <7cc8c443-d810-4796-b796-671a24694f79@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:
    > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > Geoff

    I have a problem with a DECserver that gives up before the VAX or
    Alpha it could boot from comes up after a building power outage.

    My solution is to reboot it sometime later when I notice it's out.

  11. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article , geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:
    > On Mar 19, 4:32 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > Koehler) wrote:
    >> In article <7cc8c443-d810-4796-b796-671a24694...@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, geoffrey....@eskom.co.za writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    >> > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    >> > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    >> > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    >> > Geoff

    >> Are you using the LANCP or NCP to manage the MOP database?

    > I'm using ncp
    > Geoff

    Check "show node xx.yyy characteristics" or "show node name
    characteristics" to make sure the parameters are set up correctly.
    Also check "show circuit xxx-n" to make sure service is enabled.

    If either is wrong, both "set" and "define" the changes.

  12. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    On Mar 19, 10:12 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <47E106CD.20...@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >

    > > I had a problem once with a DECServer 200 that wouldn't boot. They will
    > > boot using either DECnet/MOP or TCP/IP bootp.

    > I've never seen any IP support on something as old as a 200. Are
    > you sure it wasn't a later model?

    It's defnantly a Decserver 200, I have 3 VAX machines running decnet 4
    and all 3 are configured to download to the Decservers.
    Thanks
    Geoff

  13. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    On Mar 19, 9:37 pm, Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > geoffrey....@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > > Geoff

    > Has there been any modifications of the LAN? New (routing) switches
    > installed? I recommend you to do like JF suggested: log in to the VMS
    > machine and issue the command REPLY/ENABLE then power cycle a DECserver
    > 200 and look at the OPCOM messages you get on your terminal. If you can
    > see messages about the MOP load requests, then the LAN doesn't affect
    > the loading for that DECserver. If everything works normally, you should
    > also see when the loading was completed.
    >
    > It would be good to look what is happening with the DECserver at the
    > same time. The port #1 is the "console" port by default. Connect a
    > terminal to it and then power cycle the DECserver and see what messages
    > you get. There you should see that the DECserver is trying to load its
    > software.
    >
    > By following the VMS messages on both the VMS server and the DECserver
    > you should find out where the problem is.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    Thanks for your help, the decserver is telling me 901>Initializing
    decserver and its address and then a 902>waiting for image load and
    the a 912>load failure timeout
    Geoff

  14. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    On Mar 19, 9:37 pm, Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > geoffrey....@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    > > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    > > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    > > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    > > Geoff

    > Has there been any modifications of the LAN? New (routing) switches
    > installed? I recommend you to do like JF suggested: log in to the VMS
    > machine and issue the command REPLY/ENABLE then power cycle a DECserver
    > 200 and look at the OPCOM messages you get on your terminal. If you can
    > see messages about the MOP load requests, then the LAN doesn't affect
    > the loading for that DECserver. If everything works normally, you should
    > also see when the loading was completed.
    >
    > It would be good to look what is happening with the DECserver at the
    > same time. The port #1 is the "console" port by default. Connect a
    > terminal to it and then power cycle the DECserver and see what messages
    > you get. There you should see that the DECserver is trying to load its
    > software.
    >
    > By following the VMS messages on both the VMS server and the DECserver
    > you should find out where the problem is.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    Hi all
    Thanks very much for all your help, we've all solved the problem, I
    logged into a working Decserver and found the load host which was a
    vax workstation and not one of the 3 vax servers. After powering up
    this workstation the image was downloaded. I'll still investigate why
    the image does not get downloaded from the vax servers.
    Thanks again
    Geoff

  15. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    Geoff,

    from one of the VAXes, which are supposed to download the DECserver,
    try:

    $ MC NCP SHOW NODE decserver-name CHAR ! should show MAC address of
    DECserver
    $ MC NCP CONNECT NODE decserver-name

    If this works, you'll get the access prompt of the DECserver: #
    Log in or terminate the connection with CTRL-D
    If this works, you know that the MOP protocol gets through to the
    DECserver via the LAN.

    If this fails, double-check the MAC address and make sure the local
    DECnet circuit is set to SERVICE ENABLED. Try the same operation from
    the VAXstation, which successfully loaded the server. If it works from
    the VAXstation, but fails from the other VAX, there may be a problem
    with the network configuration. The MOP protocol may not be passed
    through whatever components are in the LAN between the DECserver and
    the other VAX.

    Volker.

  16. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article <681f01ef-e3e1-4795-8bda-bf3c950a8212@q78g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:
    >On Mar 19, 9:37 pm, Uusim=E4ki
    >wrote:
    >> geoffrey....@eskom.co.za wrote:
    >> > Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    >> > Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    >> > image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    >> > dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    >> > Geoff

    >> Has there been any modifications of the LAN? New (routing) switches
    >> installed? I recommend you to do like JF suggested: log in to the VMS
    >> machine and issue the command REPLY/ENABLE then power cycle a DECserver
    >> 200 and look at the OPCOM messages you get on your terminal. If you can
    >> see messages about the MOP load requests, then the LAN doesn't affect
    >> the loading for that DECserver. If everything works normally, you should
    >> also see when the loading was completed.
    >>
    >> It would be good to look what is happening with the DECserver at the
    >> same time. The port #1 is the "console" port by default. Connect a
    >> terminal to it and then power cycle the DECserver and see what messages
    >> you get. There you should see that the DECserver is trying to load its
    >> software.
    >>
    >> By following the VMS messages on both the VMS server and the DECserver
    >> you should find out where the problem is.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kari

    >Hi all
    >Thanks very much for all your help, we've all solved the problem, I
    >logged into a working Decserver and found the load host which was a
    >vax workstation and not one of the 3 vax servers. After powering up
    >this workstation the image was downloaded. I'll still investigate why
    >the image does not get downloaded from the vax servers.
    >Thanks again
    >Geoff

    Are the DECservers defined in NCP? ...with the proper addresses? Does
    the download image exist?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  17. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 9:37 pm, Uusimäki
    > wrote:
    >
    >>geoffrey....@eskom.co.za wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi - My Decserver 200's are not getting there image loaded from Vax
    >>>Server. The Decservers carry on working but if I power one off its
    >>>image is not loaded. I have not changed any parameters in the
    >>>dsvconfig file. Any suggestions?
    >>>Geoff

    >>Has there been any modifications of the LAN? New (routing) switches
    >>installed? I recommend you to do like JF suggested: log in to the VMS
    >>machine and issue the command REPLY/ENABLE then power cycle a DECserver
    >>200 and look at the OPCOM messages you get on your terminal. If you can
    >>see messages about the MOP load requests, then the LAN doesn't affect
    >>the loading for that DECserver. If everything works normally, you should
    >>also see when the loading was completed.
    >>
    >>It would be good to look what is happening with the DECserver at the
    >>same time. The port #1 is the "console" port by default. Connect a
    >>terminal to it and then power cycle the DECserver and see what messages
    >>you get. There you should see that the DECserver is trying to load its
    >>software.
    >>
    >>By following the VMS messages on both the VMS server and the DECserver
    >>you should find out where the problem is.
    >>
    >>Good luck.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Kari

    > Hi all
    > Thanks very much for all your help, we've all solved the problem, I
    > logged into a working Decserver and found the load host which was a
    > vax workstation and not one of the 3 vax servers. After powering up
    > this workstation the image was downloaded. I'll still investigate why
    > the image does not get downloaded from the vax servers.
    > Thanks again
    > Geoff

    My memory grows DIMM but I think that VMS machines respond to boot
    requests from terminal servers ONLY when they are configured to do so.
    The DECserver load image must be available and you have to tell your
    system to respond to boot requests. It's a "do it once and forget it"
    thing and the last time I did it was LONG ago!

    Go thou and RTFM. When you figure it out, you might post either the
    solution, where you found the documentation, or both.

  18. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    > In article , geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:
    >> It's defnantly a Decserver 200, I have 3 VAX machines running decnet 4
    >> and all 3 are configured to download to the Decservers.
    >> Thanks
    >> Geoff

    Maybe. But here on c.o.v it's not enought to just *say* so.
    *Show us* that it's actualy the case. Hard proof (output)
    from NCP commands is what counts.

    Jan-Erik.

  19. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    In article , geoffrey.ive@eskom.co.za writes:

    > It's defnantly a Decserver 200, I have 3 VAX machines running decnet 4
    > and all 3 are configured to download to the Decservers.
    > Thanks
    > Geoff

    The default configuration for DECnet Phase IV on VMS is that every
    VMS systenm that sees a MOP request will report something to OPCOM,
    whether that VMS system can honor the request or not.

    You should be able to check your consoles, or your OPERATOR.LOG when
    you power on the DECserver to see which, if any, systems are seeing
    the MOP requests and what they are doing in response. That's a good
    place to start from.

    (I had to turn that off on a lot of systems beause the customer
    hired "computer operators" fresh off the boat and they'd report
    all kinds of unrelated problems as being caused by the VMS systems
    which didn't honor all MOP requests they saw on the LAN. "ERROR" and
    "FAILURE" being two of the English words they knew.)

    Another quick check is to see if you can connect an AUI ethernet on
    the DECserver to a 10BT wire with one of those little transceivers
    with link and traffic lights.

  20. Re: Decserver 200 - Not getting its image loaded

    On Mar 20, 8:55*am, Jan-Erik Söderholm
    wrote:
    > > In article , geoffrey....@eskom.co.za writes:
    > >> It's defnantly a Decserver 200, I have 3 VAX machines running decnet 4
    > >> and all 3 are configured to download to the Decservers.
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Geoff

    > Maybe. But here on c.o.v it's not enought to just *say* so.
    > *Show us* that it's actualy the case. Hard proof (output)
    > from NCP commands is what counts.
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    I am out of town and cannot check this myself, but if memory serves,
    some terminal
    servers can have a load image filename saved in the NVRAM, and when it
    boots,
    it asks for that specific image. If any VMS machine set up to respond
    (MCR NCP SET/DEFINE CIR ENABLE, etc) to MOP boot requests has that
    image in
    MOM$LOAD (or whatever the other logical is for storing load images,
    MOM$SYSTEM ??), the VMS machine will serve up the file. All this
    occurs
    *I THINK* without ever defining the specific DECserver in NCP :-)

    Obviously NCP has to know about it if you want to do MCR NCP CONNECT
    NODE xxxx

    Verne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast