OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke - VMS ; Subject says it all. -- VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?" http://tmesis.com/drat.html...

  1. OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    Subject says it all.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    Mr VAXman said:
    > Subject says it all.

    He was 90 and died in Sri Lanka.

  3. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Mr VAXman said:
    > > Subject says it all.

    > He was 90 and died in Sri Lanka.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7304004.stm

    I wonder if his last words were "OMG, it's full of stars!" :-)

    Ken

  4. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    on 19-3-2008 1:18 VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote...
    > Subject says it all.

    He was my Childhood's End^H^H^Hhero.

    I read Childhood's End in 1971 when it first came out translated into
    Dutch. I have read thousands of SF books, good and bad, but Childhood's
    End remains my all-time favorite. I'd love to see it as a movie, with
    today's effects it could become spectacular.

    Arthur, thanks for the memories...

    --
    Wilm Boerhout Zwolle, NL

  5. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    On Mar 18, 8:28*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Mr VAXman said:
    >
    > > Subject says it all.

    > He was 90 and died in Sri Lanka.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7304004.stm

    And yet he was still an active author. Last month I finished his 2008
    book called "Firstborn - A Time Odyssey: 3"

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/lin...html#a_c_clark

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  6. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    In article <47e05beb$0$15182$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > Subject says it all.

    Clarke said a lot of it. And said it well. Now I've got some
    reading to catch up on. His last book is to be published later
    this year.

  7. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    VAXman- wrote:
    > Subject says it all.

    "Astrologers used to believe that Man's destiny is controlled by the stars.
    But one day it may come to pass that the stars' destiny is controlled by Man."
    -Arthur C. Clarke, 1917-2008
    --
    John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

  8. Re: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    One of my big fans, I got a copy of a Discovery program when he unveils fake
    ghost pictures using
    a pdp11/70 (modern computers), a graphic terminal and software to manipulate
    photo's.

    ^P

    skrev i meddelandet
    > Subject says it all.
    >

    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker

    VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  9. Re: OT: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    On Mar 18, 8:28*pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Mr VAXman said:
    >
    > > Subject says it all.

    > He was 90 and died in Sri Lanka.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7304004.stm

    Clarke who died at the age of 90 on Wednesday had left written
    instructions that no religious rites of any faith should be associated
    with his funeral.

    Neil Rieck
    Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge,
    Ontario, Canada.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/

  10. Re: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    In article , "PL"
    writes:

    > One of my big fans, I got a copy of a Discovery program when he unveils fake
    > ghost pictures using

    Clarke was one of YOUR big fans?

  11. Re: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    skrev i meddelandet news:fs0772$h89$1@online.de...
    > In article , "PL"
    > writes:
    >
    > > One of my big fans, I got a copy of a Discovery program when he unveils

    fake
    > > ghost pictures using

    > Clarke was one of YOUR big fans?

    Yes, what about it?

    ^P

  12. Re: RIP Arthur C. Clarke

    "Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply"
    skrev i meddelandet news:fs0772$h89$1@online.de...
    > In article , "PL"
    > writes:
    >
    > > One of my big fans, I got a copy of a Discovery program when he unveils

    fake
    > > ghost pictures using

    > Clarke was one of YOUR big fans?

    Ah, sorry, it came out a _bit_ wrong, sorry, I meant the opposite of course
    ;-)

    ^P

+ Reply to Thread