DECUS C - VMS

This is a discussion on DECUS C - VMS ; I got a copy of the DECUS C compiler 2.93 that is distributed with the RT-11 TCP/IP package. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/home.htm I am using RT-11 V5.03 with the XM monitor on a microPDP-11/73. About half the time when I try run the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: DECUS C

  1. DECUS C

    I got a copy of the DECUS C compiler 2.93 that is distributed with the
    RT-11 TCP/IP package. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/home.htm

    I am using RT-11 V5.03 with the XM monitor on a microPDP-11/73.

    About half the time when I try run the compiler, I get the following error:

    ?MON-F-MMU fault 026252

    Once the error occurs, the compiler always errors with the same message
    until I reboot. It always seems to work the first time I try it after a
    reboot.

    Suggestions as to what the problem is?




  2. Re: DECUS C

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:32:59 -0400, Charles H Dickman
    wrote:

    >I got a copy of the DECUS C compiler 2.93 that is distributed with the
    >RT-11 TCP/IP package. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/home.htm
    >
    >I am using RT-11 V5.03 with the XM monitor on a microPDP-11/73.
    >
    >About half the time when I try run the compiler, I get the following error:
    >
    >?MON-F-MMU fault 026252
    >
    >Once the error occurs, the compiler always errors with the same message
    >until I reboot. It always seems to work the first time I try it after a
    >reboot.
    >
    >Suggestions as to what the problem is?


    I fixed a number of problems with CC.SAV and, in particular, AS.SAV a
    couple of years ago and applied some of Alan Baldwins reported patches
    as well. The resulting compiler and assembler may fix your problem.
    The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip

    Please let me know how it works out.

    Ian


  3. Re: DECUS C

    paramucho wrote:
    > The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    >
    >

    This link does not work.

    I am beginning to think my problem was hardware related. I removed a
    memory board and things are more stable.

    -chuck



  4. Re: DECUS C

    On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:27 PM, C H Dickman wrote:
    > paramucho wrote:
    > > The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    > >
    > >

    > This link does not work.
    >
    > I am beginning to think my problem was hardware related. I removed a
    > memory board and things are more stable.
    >


    It appears that Alan Baldwin's PDP-11 is also no
    longer up. As an alumnus of Kent State University, I feel bad about
    this.

    On the other hand, it looks like DECUS C and also Alan Baldwin's
    TCP/IP package are available on Tim Shoppa's collection of RT-11
    software.


    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
    clowenstein@ucsd.edu


  5. Re: DECUS C

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:21:37 -0700, "Carl Lowenstein"
    wrote:

    >On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:27 PM, C H Dickman wrote:
    >> paramucho wrote:
    >> > The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    >> >
    >> >

    >> This link does not work.
    >>
    >> I am beginning to think my problem was hardware related. I removed a
    >> memory board and things are more stable.
    >>

    >
    >It appears that Alan Baldwin's PDP-11 is also no
    >longer up. As an alumnus of Kent State University, I feel bad about
    >this.


    I got through to his site last night when I checked the spelling of
    his name.





  6. Re: DECUS C

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:27:20 -0400, C H Dickman
    wrote:

    >paramucho wrote:
    >> The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    >>
    >>

    >This link does not work.


    Yikes:

    http://geocities.com/hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip

    >I am beginning to think my problem was hardware related. I removed a
    >memory board and things are more stable.



  7. Re: DECUS C

    paramucho wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:32:59 -0400, Charles H Dickman
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I got a copy of the DECUS C compiler 2.93 that is distributed with the
    >> RT-11 TCP/IP package. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/home.htm
    >>
    >> I am using RT-11 V5.03 with the XM monitor on a microPDP-11/73.
    >>
    >> About half the time when I try run the compiler, I get the following error:
    >>
    >> ?MON-F-MMU fault 026252
    >>
    >> Once the error occurs, the compiler always errors with the same message
    >> until I reboot. It always seems to work the first time I try it after a
    >> reboot.
    >>
    >> Suggestions as to what the problem is?
    >>

    >
    > I fixed a number of problems with CC.SAV and, in particular, AS.SAV a
    > couple of years ago and applied some of Alan Baldwins reported patches
    > as well. The resulting compiler and assembler may fix your problem.
    > The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    >
    > Please let me know how it works out.
    >
    > Ian
    >
    >

    OK, I tried the new compiler. I still get the same ?MON-F-MMU fault, but
    the address(?) reported is slightly different. The fault is always
    before the CC> prompt. Could it be CCXV53.SAV that is running when the
    fault occurs and not the compiler itself?

    What is the default location for include files? It can't find ,
    but it can find "c:stdio.h". The original version must have looked on
    device C: by default. C: is the logical disk containing all the compiler
    components.

    Finally, I can't seem to link the resulting OBJ with my existing
    libraries. During the link I see the following:

    .link ditest,isr,c:suport,c:clib
    ?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$DATA
    ?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$DATA
    ?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    ....
    ?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    ?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    ?LINK-F-Word relocation error in C:CLIB.OBJ

    -chuck





  8. Re: DECUS C

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:43:22 -0400, Charles H Dickman
    wrote:

    >paramucho wrote:
    >> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:32:59 -0400, Charles H Dickman
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I got a copy of the DECUS C compiler 2.93 that is distributed with the
    >>> RT-11 TCP/IP package. http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/home.htm
    >>>
    >>> I am using RT-11 V5.03 with the XM monitor on a microPDP-11/73.
    >>>
    >>> About half the time when I try run the compiler, I get the following error:
    >>>
    >>> ?MON-F-MMU fault 026252
    >>>
    >>> Once the error occurs, the compiler always errors with the same message
    >>> until I reboot. It always seems to work the first time I try it after a
    >>> reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions as to what the problem is?
    >>>

    >>
    >> I fixed a number of problems with CC.SAV and, in particular, AS.SAV a
    >> couple of years ago and applied some of Alan Baldwins reported patches
    >> as well. The resulting compiler and assembler may fix your problem.
    >> The download is: http://geocities.yahoo.com/~hammodotcom/pdp/dcc.zip
    >>
    >> Please let me know how it works out.
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>
    >>

    >OK, I tried the new compiler. I still get the same ?MON-F-MMU fault, but
    >the address(?) reported is slightly different.


    What is the fault address?

    When I try to run the new compiler under RT-11/XM V5.3 I get an
    insufficient memory error. Are you using VBGEXE.SAV (aka V.SAV) to run
    the compiler?

    Does the old compiler work under RT-11/FB?

    >The fault is always
    >before the CC> prompt. Could it be CCXV53.SAV that is running when the
    >fault occurs and not the compiler itself?


    I don't have CCXV53.SAV so I don't know what it does.

    You can run the compiler directly to work that out. Just "R CC" and
    type return -- it should display some HELP information.

    >What is the default location for include files? It can't find ,
    >but it can find "c:stdio.h". The original version must have looked on
    >device C: by default. C: is the logical disk containing all the compiler
    >components.


    Sorry -- I should have rebuilt the standard compiler. The default
    directory for the "new" compiler is "DCC:".

    >Finally, I can't seem to link the resulting OBJ with my existing
    >libraries. During the link I see the following:


    If this problem only occurs with the new compiler then I'd ignore it
    until the MMU problem is sorted out.

    >link ditest,isr,c:suport,c:clib
    >?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$DATA
    >?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$DATA
    >?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    >...
    >?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    >?LINK-W-Conflicting section attributes C$CODE
    >?LINK-F-Word relocation error in C:CLIB.OBJ
    >
    >-chuck
    >
    >
    >



+ Reply to Thread