Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au - VMS

This is a discussion on Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au - VMS ; I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

  1. Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS 433au
    to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS in the
    advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it always
    comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was able to
    program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.

    Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!

    ------
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+


  2. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    > I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    > 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS
    > in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it
    > always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was able
    > to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.
    >
    > Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!
    >


    The only merciful thing to do is shoot it!



  3. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    > I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    > 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS
    > in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it
    > always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was able
    > to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.
    >
    > Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!
    >
    > ------
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > | http://www.process.com | |
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >


    The battery which feeds the nvram and thus keeps the SRM or AlphaBios
    settings has emptied.
    Buy a new one (the type is CR2032, looks like a coin) from the closest
    store and replace it.
    Then your settings will be saved for the next 10 years. :-)

    Regards,

    Kari

  4. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Uusimäki wrote:
    > Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >> I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    >> 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS
    >> in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it
    >> always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was
    >> able to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!
    >>
    >> ------
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>
    >> | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in
    >> this |
    >> | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand
    >> binary |
    >> | Process Software | and those who
    >> don't." |
    >> | http://www.process.com
    >> | |
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The battery which feeds the nvram and thus keeps the SRM or AlphaBios
    > settings has emptied.
    > Buy a new one (the type is CR2032, looks like a coin) from the closest
    > store and replace it.
    > Then your settings will be saved for the next 10 years. :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari


    Forgot to mention, that it resides on the motherboard.

    Regards,

    Kari


  5. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Thanks, I happened to have a spare battery and tried it out - works
    perfectly now! Many thanks!!!

    But it is an odd behavior...

    At 11:19 AM 3/18/2008, Uusimäki wrote:
    >Uusimäki wrote:
    >>Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >>>I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    >>>433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS
    >>>in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it
    >>>always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was able
    >>>to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!
    >>>
    >>>------
    >>>+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>>| Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this|
    >>>| Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    >>>| Process Software | and those who don't." |
    >>>| http://www.process.com
    >>>| |
    >>>+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >>The battery which feeds the nvram and thus keeps the SRM or AlphaBios
    >>settings has emptied.
    >>Buy a new one (the type is CR2032, looks like a coin) from the closest
    >>store and replace it.
    >>Then your settings will be saved for the next 10 years. :-)
    >>Regards,
    >>Kari

    >
    >Forgot to mention, that it resides on the motherboard.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Kari
    >


    ------
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+


  6. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au


    You are quite right. Very odd behaviour - especially when these (au)
    workstations were thought to run DigitalUnix and OpenVMS. That was the
    consequence of DEC being too inclined towards M$oft.

    The feature is described somewhere in the PWS manual.

    Regards,

    Kari






    Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    > Thanks, I happened to have a spare battery and tried it out - works
    > perfectly now! Many thanks!!!
    >
    > But it is an odd behavior...
    >
    > At 11:19 AM 3/18/2008, Uusimäki wrote:
    >> Uusimäki wrote:
    >>> Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >>>> I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    >>>> 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to
    >>>> OpenVMS in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power
    >>>> off, and it always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system
    >>>> and it was able to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the
    >>>> same situation.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!
    >>>>
    >>>> ------
    >>>> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>>>
    >>>> | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in
    >>>> this |
    >>>> | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand
    >>>> binary |
    >>>> | Process Software | and those who
    >>>> don't." |
    >>>> | http://www.process.com
    >>>> | |
    >>>> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>>>
    >>> The battery which feeds the nvram and thus keeps the SRM or AlphaBios
    >>> settings has emptied.
    >>> Buy a new one (the type is CR2032, looks like a coin) from the
    >>> closest store and replace it.
    >>> Then your settings will be saved for the next 10 years. :-)
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Kari

    >>
    >> Forgot to mention, that it resides on the motherboard.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kari
    >>

    >
    > ------
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > | http://www.process.com | |
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >


  7. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Dan O'Reilly wrote:

    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > | http://www.process.com | |
    > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+


    What is the third category ?

    00 -> those who understand binary
    01 -> those who don't
    10 -> ????????????????


  8. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    At 12:50 PM 3/18/2008, JF Mezei wrote:
    >Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    > > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    > > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    > > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > > | http://www.process.com | |
    > > +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >
    >What is the third category ?
    >
    >00 -> those who understand binary
    >01 -> those who don't
    >10 -> ????????????????


    How is 2 base 10 represented in binary...?


    ------
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+


  9. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    In article <47e00eff$0$28123$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >> | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    >> | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    >> | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    >> | http://www.process.com | |
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >
    > What is the third category ?
    >
    > 00 -> those who understand binary
    > 01 -> those who don't
    > 10 -> ????????????????


    Ummmm....... With 2 binary digits there are 4 catagories.

    11 -> ????????????????

    You should have left it at one digit. :-)

    Now, do we need to go into why Hallowen and Christmas are actually
    the same holiday?

    bill

    --
    Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    billg999@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  10. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    In article <47e00eff$0$28123$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >> | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    >> | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    >> | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    >> | http://www.process.com | |
    >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >
    >What is the third category ?
    >
    >00 -> those who understand binary
    >01 -> those who don't
    >10 -> ????????????????


    Thus demonstrating that you are 01 of the 10 types who don't.

    --
    VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  11. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <47e00eff$0$28123$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >
    >>Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
    >>>| Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    >>>| Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    >>>| Process Software | and those who don't." |
    >>>| http://www.process.com | |
    >>>+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >>
    >>What is the third category ?
    >>
    >>00 -> those who understand binary
    >>01 -> those who don't
    >>10 -> ????????????????

    >
    >
    > Thus demonstrating that you are 01 of the 10 types who don't.
    >


    Label from 0, count from 1, no matter what base you are using.

    Type 0 - Don't understand binary, 01 types
    Type 1 - Do understand binary, 10 types.

    Total of 10 types (in binary)

    (Actually, both the label and counter should start at 0, but
    you increment the counter after you find a new item, and the
    label after labeling it. Then you only need 1 counter.)

    Generic psuedo code for counting things:

    Counter = 0

    While more_items

    Label(counter) = cvtia(counter)
    counter = counter+1

    next

    Print counter "items found"

    end

    ===================

    flow as follows for code implementing counting the 10 types
    of people: ("->" means that step yields the following):

    types_of_people = 0

    get next_type_of_person -> ("doesn't understand binary")

    typeofperson(0) = "Type 0 doesn't understand binary"
    types_of_people = 0 + 1 -> 1

    get next_type_of_person -> ("understands binary")

    typeofperson(1) = "Type 1 understands binary"
    types_of_people = 1 + 1 -> 10

    get next_type_of_person -> nothing, so fall out of loop

    print types_of_people "types of people found" -> "10 types of people found"

    end

    =====================

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
    781-861-0670 ext 539

  12. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    John Santos wrote:

    > types_of_people = 1 + 1 -> 10



    When you factor in taxes and the devaluation of the US dollar:

    types_of_people = 1 + 1 -> 11


  13. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    In article <47e0611f$0$28101$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >John Santos wrote:
    >
    >> types_of_people = 1 + 1 -> 10

    >
    >
    >When you factor in taxes and the devaluation of the US dollar:
    >
    >types_of_people = 1 + 1 -> 11
    >

    I think that's the type of maths the bankers doing the sub-prime lending were
    doing. Except they were doing those calculations in decimal rather than binary.


    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University






  14. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    On Mar 18, 1:19 pm, Uusimäki
    wrote:
    > Uusimäki wrote:
    > > Dan O'Reilly wrote:
    > >> I had a power hit on my place yesterday, and now I can't get my PWS
    > >> 433au to switch from AlphaBIOS to SRM. I tell it to switch to OpenVMS
    > >> in the advanced config screen, save the options, and power off, and it
    > >> always comes up in AlphaBIOS. I've reflashed the system and it was
    > >> able to program both SRM and ARC just fine, but still the same situation.

    >
    > >> Any ideas? I ***REALLY*** need this system back!!!

    >
    > >> ------
    > >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >
    > >> | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in
    > >> this |
    > >> | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand
    > >> binary |
    > >> | Process Software | and those who
    > >> don't." |
    > >> |http://www.process.com
    > >> | |
    > >> +-------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

    >
    > > The battery which feeds the nvram and thus keeps the SRM or AlphaBios
    > > settings has emptied.
    > > Buy a new one (the type is CR2032, looks like a coin) from the closest
    > > store and replace it.
    > > Then your settings will be saved for the next 10 years. :-)

    >
    > > Regards,

    >
    > > Kari

    >
    > Forgot to mention, that it resides on the motherboard.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari


    Dan and Kari,

    Just a footnote. A rather wide variety of devices exhibit strange
    behaviors when they lose their NVRAM batteries. The precise behavior
    depends upon the circuits and the firmware.

    Well behaved devices frequently end up in the equivalent of the
    factory reset state (or what ever the factory state was thought to be
    when the device was first designed).

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

  15. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    In article , John Santos writes:
    >
    > Label from 0, count from 1, no matter what base you are using.
    >
    > Type 0 - Don't understand binary, 01 types
    > Type 1 - Do understand binary, 10 types.
    >


    We're not all !@#$%^&*() C programmers here. Counting starts at 1,
    if you actually have any.


  16. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , John Santos writes:
    >
    >>Label from 0, count from 1, no matter what base you are using.
    >>
    >>Type 0 - Don't understand binary, 01 types
    >>Type 1 - Do understand binary, 10 types.
    >>

    >
    >
    > We're not all !@#$%^&*() C programmers here. Counting starts at 1,
    > if you actually have any.
    >

    Hey, watch it bud! I'm no stinking C programmer. Macro-11. Real
    programmers program in octal. (OK, Macro-32 kind of forces you to
    use hex, And counting starts a 0, so you don't have to special-case
    when there aren't any. Do FORTRAN arrays start at 1? It's been about
    33 years, brain cells have died :-(

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
    781-861-0670 ext 539

  17. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    John Santos wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >
    >> In article , John Santos
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> Label from 0, count from 1, no matter what base you are using.
    >>>
    >>> Type 0 - Don't understand binary, 01 types
    >>> Type 1 - Do understand binary, 10 types.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> We're not all !@#$%^&*() C programmers here. Counting starts at 1,
    >> if you actually have any.
    >>

    > Hey, watch it bud! I'm no stinking C programmer. Macro-11. Real
    > programmers program in octal. (OK, Macro-32 kind of forces you to
    > use hex, And counting starts a 0, so you don't have to special-case
    > when there aren't any. Do FORTRAN arrays start at 1? It's been about
    > 33 years, brain cells have died :-(
    >


    Many years ago, Fortran II and Fortran IV arrays did start at 1. I
    think that Fortran acquired the ability to use 0 or negative subscripts
    somewhere along the way. I don't recall using them very much; old
    habits die hard and mine go back to Fortran II!

    And real programmers program in absolute binary! Remember when you
    could, and sometimes had to, load a bootstrap program through the front
    panel switches? I think some models of the PDP-8 made you do that.
    Remember that ROM and PROM came much later!




  18. Re: Can't get into SRM on PWS 433au

    John Santos wrote:

    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    > >In article , John Santos

    > writes:
    > >
    > > > Label from 0, count from 1, no matter what base you are using.
    > > >
    > > > Type 0 - Don't understand binary, 01 types
    > > > Type 1 - Do understand binary, 10 types.
    > > >

    > >
    > >
    > > We're not all !@#$%^&*() C programmers here. Counting starts at
    > > 1, if you actually have any.
    > >

    > Hey, watch it bud! I'm no stinking C programmer. Macro-11. Real
    > programmers program in octal. (OK, Macro-32 kind of forces you to
    > use hex, And counting starts a 0, so you don't have to special-case
    > when there aren't any. Do FORTRAN arrays start at 1? It's been about
    > 33 years, brain cells have died :-(


    I finally replaced the remaining octal constants in our DEC-Fortran
    code with hexadecimal just this month. The code started out on DOS-11
    in '70's (IIRC - it predates my employment on the project that started
    29 years ago :-)

    Fortran arrays start at 1 by dafault but you can start them at 0 with
    the array(0:n) syntax. Very useful for lots of things that really do
    start at 0, e.g. 1553 MilBus word numbers. I'm sure Bob was kidding.

    Cheers - Dave.

    --


+ Reply to Thread