Revised time in DIR / FULL output - VMS

This is a discussion on Revised time in DIR / FULL output - VMS ; Hi Group, I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised time that there is a number in brackets. What does this number indicate? Maybe number of times the file has been rewritten since creation? ...

  1. Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    Hi Group,

    I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised time
    that there is a number in brackets.

    What does this number indicate? Maybe number of times the file has
    been rewritten since creation?

    Where in the RMS manuals is the definition of this number defined?

    Thanks

    Mark

  2. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    shofu_au@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised time
    > that there is a number in brackets.
    >
    > What does this number indicate? Maybe number of times the file has
    > been rewritten since creation?
    >
    > Where in the RMS manuals is the definition of this number defined?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    Number of modifications (open for write, close) operations.
    If I'm not wrong...

    Jan-Erik.

  3. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    IIRC Number of revisions to the file header

  4. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    Mark,

    FI2$W_REVISION - Revision number. This word contains the revision
    count of the file in binary format. The revision count is the number
    of times the file has been accessed for writing.

    Volker.

  5. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    On Mar 18, 10:22*am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , shofu...@yahoo.com.au writes:
    >
    > > Hi Group,

    > > I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised time
    > > that there is a number in brackets.

    > * *It's in parentheses on my system, and it's the number of times the
    > * *file has been closed after being opened with write access, and
    > * *therefor the number of times the revised date has changed.

    And just to complete all the other fine answers...

    1) No it is NOT relyable, as it is a 16 bit counter which silently
    wraps around.

    2) The file contents might not have changed that often.
    Just opening with write intend is enough for a bump.

    Hein.

  6. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    In article , shofu_au@yahoo.com.au writes:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised time
    > that there is a number in brackets.

    It's in parentheses on my system, and it's the number of times the
    file has been closed after being opened with write access, and
    therefor the number of times the revised date has changed.

  7. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output

    Hein RMS van den Heuvel wrote in

    > On Mar 18, 10:22*am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > Koehler) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >> shofu...@yahoo.com.au writes:
    >>
    >> > Hi Group,

    >> > I have noticed that in a dir / full output that after the revised
    >> > time that there is a number in brackets.

    >> * *It's in parentheses on my system, and it's the number of times
    >> the * *file has been closed after being opened with write access,
    >> and * *therefor the number of times the revised date has changed.

    > And just to complete all the other fine answers...
    >
    > 1) No it is NOT relyable, as it is a 16 bit counter which silently
    > wraps around.
    >
    > 2) The file contents might not have changed that often.
    > Just opening with write intend is enough for a bump.
    >
    > Hein.

    As I recall, that value is at least 1 greater than the number of keys on
    an indexed file, when it's been rebuilt
    (convert/fdl=fdl-for-indexed-file.fdl source-file destination-file)
    That number can also be set with DFU.

  8. Re: Revised time in DIR / FULL output -- CONVERT to INDEXED detail

    :
    > As I recall, that value is at least 1 greater than the number of keys on
    > an indexed file, when it's been rebuilt
    > (convert/fdl=fdl-for-indexed-file.fdl source-file destination-file)

    Cute but irrelevant?
    The convert algorims have actually significantly changed (thanks
    Elinor!)
    The output file used to be opened and closed handing it of to SORT as
    neeed.
    That caused problem when applications 'snuck in' locking the partially
    converted file.
    So now convert keeps the file open and uses the record interface to
    sort passing data as needed.
    And convert now (7.3-2) can stick more that 1 key in the CONVWORK file
    (/SECONDARY=N)

    > That number can also be set with DFU.- Hide quoted text -

    And by any program hooking up an XABRDT to the FAB just before close
    an filling in XAB$W_RVN

    Hein.

+ Reply to Thread