Hobbyist Licenses - VMS

This is a discussion on Hobbyist Licenses - VMS ; How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago. The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Hobbyist Licenses

  1. Hobbyist Licenses

    How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.

  2. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    nobody@spamcop.com wrote:
    > How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    > htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    > The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    > E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    > blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.


    I don't see why they should send anything to "nobody" who
    even can't sign his question with a name...

    Best Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  3. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    Best ask this in the hobbyist forums

  4. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    In article ,
    wrote:

    > How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    > htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    > The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    > E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    > blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.


    That's very strange - when I've renewed my hobbyist licenses, the
    emails came immediately. Perhaps try it with a different email
    address.

    Dan

  5. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    In article
    <1c753b8b-a52d-4144-82e1-1be0d5bd57e8@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    IanMiller wrote:

    > Best ask this in the hobbyist forums


    I wasn't aware there was a VMS hobbyist forum - what is it called as I
    didn't see it in my full newsgroup list.

    Dan

  6. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    On Mar 19, 11:04 am, DanS wrote:

    > That's very strange - when I've renewed my hobbyist licenses, the
    > emails came immediately. Perhaps try it with a different email
    > address.
    >
    > Dan


    Or just try it again. The OpenVMS Hobbyist site occasionally has
    problems with email. Usually it's taken care of quickly once the
    webmaster knows of it.

  7. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    On Mar 19, 11:05 am, DanS wrote:
    > In article
    > <1c753b8b-a52d-4144-82e1-1be0d5bd5...@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > IanMiller wrote:
    > > Best ask this in the hobbyist forums

    >
    > I wasn't aware there was a VMS hobbyist forum - what is it called as I
    > didn't see it in my full newsgroup list.
    >
    > Dan


    On the OpenVMS Hobbyist web site itself. It's not part of the USENET
    groups. The link is http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/forum/index.php


  8. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    In article
    ,
    wrote:

    > On Mar 19, 11:05 am, DanS wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <1c753b8b-a52d-4144-82e1-1be0d5bd5...@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > >
    > > IanMiller wrote:
    > > > Best ask this in the hobbyist forums

    > >
    > > I wasn't aware there was a VMS hobbyist forum - what is it called as I
    > > didn't see it in my full newsgroup list.
    > >
    > > Dan

    >
    > On the OpenVMS Hobbyist web site itself. It's not part of the USENET
    > groups. The link is http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/forum/index.php
    >


    My mistake - you DID say forum and I was thinking Usenet for some
    reason. Thanks.

  9. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    In article ,
    nobody@spamcop.com says...
    > How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    > htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    > The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    > E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    > blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.
    >


    When do they expire? ISTR that if you try to renew too soon (more
    than a month or so before expiration), you'll get exactly that
    symptom. Also, if you are trying to register a second system with
    the same info (serial number, etc.) as one you've already registered,
    it will think the current registration is still active and not issue
    a new PAK. So make sure all your SN's are unique, if registering
    more than one system. (A single set of Layered Products PAKs suffices
    for all your boxes, though.) For an emulated system such as a "VAX"
    running on SIMH on a PC, etc., use the SN of the host box, or just
    make one up if unobtainable.

    --
    John

  10. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    John Santos wrote:

    > In article ,
    > nobody@spamcop.com says...
    > > How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    > > htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    > > The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    > > E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    > > blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same
    > > results.
    > >

    >
    > When do they expire? ISTR that if you try to renew too soon (more
    > than a month or so before expiration), you'll get exactly that
    > symptom. Also, if you are trying to register a second system with
    > the same info (serial number, etc.) as one you've already registered,
    > it will think the current registration is still active and not issue
    > a new PAK. So make sure all your SN's are unique, if registering
    > more than one system. (A single set of Layered Products PAKs suffices
    > for all your boxes, though.) For an emulated system such as a "VAX"
    > running on SIMH on a PC, etc., use the SN of the host box, or just
    > make one up if unobtainable.


    Thanks John
    I had just that problem - makes sense when you think about
    it. One new request for my 'other' SimH will be off soon.

    Cheers - Dave.

  11. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:04:37 -0500, DanS
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    >> htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    >> The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    >> E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    >> blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.

    >
    >That's very strange - when I've renewed my hobbyist licenses, the
    >emails came immediately. Perhaps try it with a different email
    >address.
    >
    >Dan


    Apparently Bellsouth (uhhh AT&T) is eating the E_Mails. After several
    failed attempts, I used my hotmail address and got the renewals within
    seconds.
    --
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam overflow - Please reply in the newsgroup.
    --

  12. Re: Hobbyist Licenses

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:46:10 GMT, John Santos
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    >nobody@spamcop.com says...
    >> How do I renew my VAX VMS hobbiest licenses. I tried using
    >> htttp://www.openvmshobbyist.com/register.php a couple of weeks ago.
    >> The site says the request was accepted and the licenses will be
    >> E-mailed but they never arrived. I verified my spam filter was not
    >> blocking the site and tried again this weekend with the same results.
    >>

    >
    >When do they expire? ISTR that if you try to renew too soon (more
    >than a month or so before expiration), you'll get exactly that
    >symptom. Also, if you are trying to register a second system with
    >the same info (serial number, etc.) as one you've already registered,
    >it will think the current registration is still active and not issue
    >a new PAK. So make sure all your SN's are unique, if registering
    >more than one system. (A single set of Layered Products PAKs suffices
    >for all your boxes, though.) For an emulated system such as a "VAX"
    >running on SIMH on a PC, etc., use the SN of the host box, or just
    >make one up if unobtainable.


    They had already expired. That's why I was trying to get renewals. The
    application says to enter NONE for the serial number of SIMH or other
    emulator. That's what I did. I submitted with another E-mail address
    and got the renewals within a couple of seconds. Looks like my ISP's
    spam processor doesn't like Montager.
    --
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam overflow - Please reply in the newsgroup.
    --

+ Reply to Thread