MediaWiki on VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on MediaWiki on VMS - VMS ; I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past so I have documented the process here, http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19 Hope this helps a few people....

  1. MediaWiki on VMS

    I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    so I have documented the process here,
    http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19

    Hope this helps a few people.

  2. Re: MediaWiki on VMS

    issinoho wrote in news:6dd7b0a9-93c5-4e93-b1dc-
    15a0315b0156@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

    > I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    > problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    > so I have documented the process here,
    > http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19
    >
    > Hope this helps a few people.

    Cool. Netcraft.com reports that web site as running Windows Server 2008.
    I'm wondering why.

  3. What Netcraft say about identifying the webserver OS

    "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    news:Xns9A617950AF601staffordnospamwinter@199.45.4 9.11...
    > issinoho wrote in news:6dd7b0a9-93c5-4e93-b1dc-
    > 15a0315b0156@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    > > problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    > > so I have documented the process here,
    > > http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19
    > >
    > > Hope this helps a few people.
    > >

    > Cool. Netcraft.com reports that web site as running Windows Server 2008.
    > I'm wondering why.

    Netcraft don't generally *know* what OS a webserver is running, they make
    an educated guess "by looking in detail at the network characteristics of
    the HTTP reply received from the web site." (see
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#os )

    They admit that "The reported operating system may be different to the one
    you expected ..." e.g. because the "site has changed the default
    configuration of their TCP/IP stack". They explicitly claim that they can
    reliably identify VMS but, perhaps understandably, they say nothing about
    identifying which of VMS's various possible IP stacks may be in use.

    Have a look at the full article and read into it what you will.

    Hth,
    John

  4. Re: What Netcraft say about identifying the webserver OS

    John Wallace wrote:
    > "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9A617950AF601staffordnospamwinter@199.45.4 9.11...
    >> issinoho wrote in news:6dd7b0a9-93c5-4e93-b1dc-
    >> 15a0315b0156@u10g2000prn.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >>> I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    >>> problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    >>> so I have documented the process here,
    >>> http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps a few people.
    >>>

    >> Cool. Netcraft.com reports that web site as running Windows Server 2008.
    >> I'm wondering why.

    > Netcraft don't generally *know* what OS a webserver is running, they make
    > an educated guess "by looking in detail at the network characteristics of
    > the HTTP reply received from the web site." (see
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#os )
    >
    > They admit that "The reported operating system may be different to the one
    > you expected ..." e.g. because the "site has changed the default
    > configuration of their TCP/IP stack". They explicitly claim that they can
    > reliably identify VMS but, perhaps understandably, they say nothing about
    > identifying which of VMS's various possible IP stacks may be in use.
    >
    > Have a look at the full article and read into it what you will.
    >
    > Hth,
    > John

    It could also be that the site uses Dynamic DNS and may have been
    queried during the middle of an IP address change (network bounce
    etc...) I had problems with frequent changes while on a cable network.

  5. Re: What Netcraft say about identifying the webserver OS

    Michael Austin writes:

    >John Wallace wrote:
    >> "Tad Winters" wrote in message
    >> news:Xns9A617950AF601staffordnospamwinter@199.45.4 9.11...
    >>>>
    >>> Cool. Netcraft.com reports that web site as running Windows Server 2008.
    >>> I'm wondering why.

    >> Netcraft don't generally *know* what OS a webserver is running, they make
    >> an educated guess "by looking in detail at the network characteristics of
    >> the HTTP reply received from the web site." (see
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#os )
    >>
    >> They admit that "The reported operating system may be different to the one
    >> you expected ..." e.g. because the "site has changed the default
    >> configuration of their TCP/IP stack". They explicitly claim that they can
    >> reliably identify VMS but, perhaps understandably, they say nothing about
    >> identifying which of VMS's various possible IP stacks may be in use.
    >>
    >> Have a look at the full article and read into it what you will.

    >It could also be that the site uses Dynamic DNS and may have been
    >queried during the middle of an IP address change (network bounce
    >etc...) I had problems with frequent changes while on a cable network.

    A system I maintain went from having the operating system listed as being
    "OpenVMS" to being "unknown" by netcraft. A step backwards. During the
    inteval it changed IP addresses and went from Apache 1.3.12 to 1.3.20,
    and there probably was a VMS upgrade there as well.

  6. Re: What Netcraft say about identifying the webserver OS

    Michael Moroney schrieb:

    > A system I maintain went from having the operating system listed as being
    > "OpenVMS" to being "unknown" by netcraft.

    Hmmm, being cynical one could say that this correctly reflects
    the state of affairs.

  7. Re: MediaWiki on VMS

    issinoho wrote:
    > I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    > problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    > so I have documented the process here,
    > http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19

    > Hope this helps a few people.

    Very cool, I'll try to find time to take another look at this. I got
    stalled on this about a year ago. As you note, we really need PHP5. At the
    time I opted for PmWiki, which works pretty good on VMS.

    Zane

  8. Re: MediaWiki on VMS

    healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > issinoho wrote:
    >> I managed to get MediaWiki running on OpenVMS but it wasn't without
    >> problems. I know there was at least one enquiry about this in the past
    >> so I have documented the process here,
    >> http://vamp.issinoho.com/viewforum.php?f=19

    >> Hope this helps a few people.

    > Very cool, I'll try to find time to take another look at this. I got
    > stalled on this about a year ago. As you note, we really need PHP5. At the
    > time I opted for PmWiki, which works pretty good on VMS.

    Just to mention that MoinMoin also work on OpenVMS (for 1 or 2 years)
    and is include in the Python LD image. It doesn't need any database and
    can run as a standalone server or with WASD. Latest port include the
    XAPIAN search engine which allow fast search in the wiki.
    Some OpenVMS sites running it:
    http://vmspython.dyndns.org/
    http://vmsmysql.dyndns.org/
    http://www.kednos.com/