Weekly Boot Camp Update - VMS

This is a discussion on Weekly Boot Camp Update - VMS ; Dear VMS Community, Great news! But first, my apologies for the delay, I was out sick last week. On behalf of the Boot Camp Core Team, I am happy to send you this OpenVMS Boot Camp update. Things are coming ...

  1. Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Dear VMS Community,

    Great news!

    But first, my apologies for the delay, I was out sick last week.

    On behalf of the Boot Camp Core Team, I am happy to send you this
    OpenVMS Boot Camp update. Things are coming along very well. This is
    the final week that the session call for participation (CFP) in
    Engineering will be open. The majority of the Keynotes are in place
    which I KNOW you will enjoy. Once again this will be a very full
    agenda - Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings are also occupied.
    Last week Roxanne sent out the call for participation for the Partners
    roundhouse was distributed and we have excellent response. The
    roundhouse is one of the Boot Camp's outstanding evening programs
    (Tuesday evening).

    Several folks have asked about scholarships, I will let you know when
    I hear about partners offering scholarships. OpenVMS Engineering will
    be offering several tuition scholarships. 2 Youth Scholarships,
    hardship scholarship and testimonial scholarships (Public HP
    testimonial about your company and VMS on Integrity, we do the work).
    Total of 5

    Here is the boot camp URL http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/bootcamp

    So how is registration going? We are 23% full with 155 remaining
    seats. Aprox % of new attendees 50%

    Countries (no particular order)

    Sweden 10
    Switzerland 3
    UK - England 3
    UK - Ireland 1
    Germany 4
    Barbados 1
    Netherlands 2
    America - 16

    Warm regards as always,
    Sue

  2. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Sue wrote:

    > But first, my apologies for the delay, I was out sick last week.

    $SET TIME="TODAY-7-00:00:00"
    $MAIL SYS$INPUT: Sue.Skoketski /SUBJECT="Get Well Soon"

    Dear Sue,

    I have just learned that you are feeling under the weather,

    Please get better soon and the whole VMS community wishes you a quick
    and complete recovery.

    $
    $EXIT

  3. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Sue wrote:

    > [..snip...]
    >
    > Countries (no particular order)
    >
    > UK - Ireland 1

    Oh dear. Sue, Ireland is *not* part of the UK.

  4. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    In article , "R.A.Omond" writes:
    >Sue wrote:
    >>
    >> [..snip...]
    >>
    >> Countries (no particular order)
    >>
    >> UK - Ireland 1

    >Oh dear. Sue, Ireland is *not* part of the UK.

    Perhaps Sue meant the Ununited Kingdom!

    From Pink Floyd's Us and Them...

    With, without.
    And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about.

    Seems there was quite a bit of nastiness in England because of this.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    In article <47cea434$0$5616$607ed4bc@cv.net>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >In article , "R.A.Omond" writes:
    >>Sue wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [..snip...]
    >>>
    >>> Countries (no particular order)
    >>>
    >>> UK - Ireland 1

    >>Oh dear. Sue, Ireland is *not* part of the UK.

    >Perhaps Sue meant the Ununited Kingdom!
    >

    >From Pink Floyd's Us and Them...
    >
    > With, without.
    > And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about.
    >

    >Seems there was quite a bit of nastiness in England because of this.

    Northern Ireland which is where the "Troubles" were is part of the United
    Kingdom (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).
    The Republic of Ireland (Eire) - previously known as the Irish Free State -
    was recognised as independent by Great Britain in the Anglo-Irish treaty of
    1922.
    (The whole of the island of Ireland had previously been part of the
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland setup by the Act of Union
    of 1800).

    The "Troubles" caused nastiness in England because the IRA conducted a fairly
    extensive bombing campaign in Great Britain.

    Although

    UK - Ireland

    could well be read as being mistakenly referring to Eire as part of the UK
    it could just as easily be read as someone referring to Northern Ireland and
    unambiguously shortening it to Ireland by referring to it as part of the UK.
    (note. Northern Ireland is one of the constituant countries of the UK and
    hence can legitimately be referred to as a country - and often is in
    official Government documents).

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >--
    >VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    >http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Hi Sue,

    Is COV still the/a venue for the "weekly" bootcamp updates?

    I've been checking the bootcamp web-page but nothing much seems to change?
    And as far as an agenda goes, all I can find is: - "The agenda will be
    available in early March 2008".

    It's just that I've heard there's this new failSAFE IP technology out there
    that you can do reef-knots with, use to measure things, and even to hold up
    your pants, so I don't want to miss out or have it clash with my WSIT
    session(s)!

    Regards Richard Maher

    "Sue" wrote in message
    > Dear VMS Community,
    >
    > Great news!
    >
    > But first, my apologies for the delay, I was out sick last week.
    >
    > On behalf of the Boot Camp Core Team, I am happy to send you this
    > OpenVMS Boot Camp update. Things are coming along very well. This is
    > the final week that the session call for participation (CFP) in
    > Engineering will be open. The majority of the Keynotes are in place
    > which I KNOW you will enjoy. Once again this will be a very full
    > agenda - Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings are also occupied.
    > Last week Roxanne sent out the call for participation for the Partners
    > roundhouse was distributed and we have excellent response. The
    > roundhouse is one of the Boot Camp's outstanding evening programs
    > (Tuesday evening).
    >
    > Several folks have asked about scholarships, I will let you know when
    > I hear about partners offering scholarships. OpenVMS Engineering will
    > be offering several tuition scholarships. 2 Youth Scholarships,
    > hardship scholarship and testimonial scholarships (Public HP
    > testimonial about your company and VMS on Integrity, we do the work).
    > Total of 5
    >
    > Here is the boot camp URL http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/bootcamp
    >
    > So how is registration going? We are 23% full with 155 remaining
    > seats. Aprox % of new attendees 50%
    >
    > Countries (no particular order)
    >
    > Sweden 10
    > Switzerland 3
    > UK - England 3
    > UK - Ireland 1
    > Germany 4
    > Barbados 1
    > Netherlands 2
    > America - 16
    >
    > Warm regards as always,
    > Sue

  7. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Richard Maher wrote:
    > Hi Sue,
    >
    > Is COV still the/a venue for the "weekly" bootcamp updates?
    >
    > I've been checking the bootcamp web-page but nothing much seems to change?
    > And as far as an agenda goes, all I can find is: - "The agenda will be
    > available in early March 2008".

    I believe Sue spent most of the weekend sorting though all the abstracts
    submitted. Sadly, I don't think she found room for my "How to print
    tildes in COBOL using a 3-phase MicroVAX" session.

    --
    John Reagan
    OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32/COBOL Project Leader

  8. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    John Reagan writes:

    >I believe Sue spent most of the weekend sorting though all the abstracts
    >submitted. Sadly, I don't think she found room for my "How to print
    >tildes in COBOL using a 3-phase MicroVAX" session.

    [cancels bootcamp registration]

  9. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Hi John,

    > Sadly, I don't think she found room for my "How to print
    > tildes in COBOL using a 3-phase MicroVAX" session.

    Bugger!

    :-)

    Cheers Richard Maher

    PS. Subconsciously (or otherwise) you're still playing favourites; you
    should/could have used Pascal instead of COBOL. (Admittedly, the COBOL
    version probably has more legs :-)

    PPS. How 'bout a "Dogma-driven homogeneous computing in the 21st century and
    beyond" session? Or "Why customers aren't everything"?

    "John Reagan" wrote in message
    > Richard Maher wrote:
    > > Hi Sue,
    > >
    > > Is COV still the/a venue for the "weekly" bootcamp updates?
    > >
    > > I've been checking the bootcamp web-page but nothing much seems to

    change?
    > > And as far as an agenda goes, all I can find is: - "The agenda will be
    > > available in early March 2008".

    > I believe Sue spent most of the weekend sorting though all the abstracts
    > submitted. Sadly, I don't think she found room for my "How to print
    > tildes in COBOL using a 3-phase MicroVAX" session.
    >

    > --
    > John Reagan
    > OpenVMS Pascal/Macro-32/COBOL Project Leader
    > Hewlett-Packard Company

  10. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    In article , John Reagan writes:
    >Richard Maher wrote:
    >> Hi Sue,
    >>
    >> Is COV still the/a venue for the "weekly" bootcamp updates?
    >>
    >> I've been checking the bootcamp web-page but nothing much seems to change?
    >> And as far as an agenda goes, all I can find is: - "The agenda will be
    >> available in early March 2008".

    >I believe Sue spent most of the weekend sorting though all the abstracts
    >submitted. Sadly, I don't think she found room for my "How to print
    >tildes in COBOL using a 3-phase MicroVAX" session.

    Damn! That sounds like it would have been a smokin' session too.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  11. Re: Weekly Boot Camp Update

    Bugger-all happened again this week?

    Agenda being pushed out to 2010 to coincide with the IPsec release?

    Regards Richard Maher

+ Reply to Thread