Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented! - VMS

This is a discussion on Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented! - VMS ; http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469...

  1. Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

  2. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    In article <06395157-eeb8-4a59-aca1-c04ab29e3e9e@o10g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, ultradwc@gmail.com writes:
    >http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    -------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^

    My favorite number of all time!

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    ultradwc@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    ##
    There can be no doubt that Digital's OpenVMS was the best operating
    system ever invented. With that out of the way, let's talk about
    programming languages
    ##

    Note the use of past tense.

  4. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    ultradwc@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    He actually knows VMS. A quick GG search reveals that he posted
    to c.o.v/I-V a few times back in 1989.

    And he even has a point. The .NET CTS is many ways is the
    object oriented equivalence of what VMS calling convention
    etc. does for procedural programming.

    It allows you to use a common library and to mix multiple
    languages in your app.

    Arne

  5. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    Readers of OpenVMS.Org have known this for nearly a week.

    See
    http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../02/17/5922249

    for some good comments by Keith Cayemberg

  6. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    On Feb 22, 2:33 am, JF Mezei wrote:

    > Note the use of past tense.

    Digital is past tense - get used to it.

    As I replied to the article. HP OpenVMS is still the best operating
    system in the world.

  7. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    On Feb 22, 7:10 am, IanMiller wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:33 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    >

    > > Note the use of past tense.

    > Digital is past tense - get used to it.
    >
    > As I replied to the article. HP OpenVMS is still the best operating
    > system in the world.

    C'mon. All operating systems were invented in the past. In fact, all
    _inventions_ were invented in the past. That's how "past" works.

    AEF

  8. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    On Feb 22, 7:32*am, AEF wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 7:10 am, IanMiller wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 22, 2:33 am, JF Mezei wrote:

    > > > Note the use of past tense.

    > > Digital is past tense - get used to it.

    > > As I replied to the article. HP OpenVMS is still the best operating
    > > system in the world.

    > C'mon. All operating systems were invented in the past. In fact, all
    > _inventions_ were invented in the past. That's how "past" works.
    >
    > AEF

    Dear Newsgroup,

    Many thanks to Ian and the folks that made comments about the mention
    of VMS.

    Sue

  9. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    On Feb 21, 7:38*pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    this thread needs to stay at the top of this group for a long time ...

  10. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    ultradwc@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Feb 21, 7:38 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    > this thread needs to stay at the top of this group for a long time ...

    Yep, that is to be VMS' epitaph. It *WAS* better than Windows.

    I guess articles that talk about VMS in the past are perhaps better than
    no articles at all. But right now, the industry talks of VMS like they
    talk of Multics.

  11. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > ultradwc@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>On Feb 21, 7:38 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    >>this thread needs to stay at the top of this group for a long time ...

    > Yep, that is to be VMS' epitaph. It *WAS* better than Windows.
    >
    > I guess articles that talk about VMS in the past are perhaps better than
    > no articles at all. But right now, the industry talks of VMS like they
    > talk of Multics.

    I spent some twenty-five years in IT and the ONLY mention Multics ever
    got was in books about the origins of Unix. Apparently the name was
    picked to contrast with Multics!

  12. Re: Microsoft pro says OpenVMS best OS ever invented!

    On Feb 29, 1:37 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Feb 21, 7:38 pm, ultra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >>http://visualstudiomagazine.com/colu...torialsid=2469

    > > this thread needs to stay at the top of this group for a long time ...

    > Yep, that is to be VMS' epitaph. It *WAS* better than Windows.
    >
    > I guess articles that talk about VMS in the past are perhaps better than
    > no articles at all. But right now, the industry talks of VMS like they
    > talk of Multics.

    Uh, not quite. Remember the disaster video? Remember when VMS was on
    the HP home page? Remember the Mark Hurd video with him speaking very
    highly of VMS? I believe there were at least two very favorable write-
    ups in the Computer World or something similar not too long ago. Yes
    there are problems. No, it's not all negative.

    AEF

    AEF

+ Reply to Thread