sshd idle timeout - VMS

This is a discussion on sshd idle timeout - VMS ; How is the sshd idletime counter reset? It seems that the process has a large "lag time". I have the IdleTimeOut set to 4h. After about three hours, I type some stuff in the connection, but it still times me ...

  1. sshd idle timeout

    How is the sshd idletime counter reset? It seems that the process has a large
    "lag time". I have the IdleTimeOut set to 4h. After about three hours, I
    type some stuff in the connection, but it still times me out at four hours.

    I am connecting with xterm from Solaris.

    KeepAlive yes
    RekeyIntervalSeconds 3600
    IdleTimeOut 4h

    Tom Hartsook
    Oregon State Univ

  2. Re: sshd idle timeout

    I can't duplicate this. Can you please turn on debug level 3 for the
    server and try this again, then post the resulting SSH_LOG:SSHD.LOG?

    At 12:09 PM 2/5/2008, Thomas Hartsook wrote:
    >How is the sshd idletime counter reset? It seems that the process has a
    >large "lag time". I have the IdleTimeOut set to 4h. After about three
    >hours, I type some stuff in the connection, but it still times me out at
    >four hours.
    >
    >I am connecting with xterm from Solaris.
    >
    > KeepAlive yes
    > RekeyIntervalSeconds 3600
    > IdleTimeOut 4h
    >
    >Tom Hartsook
    >Oregon State Univ

    ------
    | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    | http://www.process.com | |

  3. Re: sshd idle timeout

    Dan: Maybe I don't understand how the "timeout reset" works. If I start an
    SSH connection, and let it sit idle for 3:58, then type at the connection,
    will SSH reset the "timeout clock" for another four hours?

    Tom

    On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dan O'Reilly wrote:

    > I can't duplicate this. Can you please turn on debug level 3 for the server
    > and try this again, then post the resulting SSH_LOG:SSHD.LOG?
    >
    > At 12:09 PM 2/5/2008, Thomas Hartsook wrote:
    >> How is the sshd idletime counter reset? It seems that the process has a
    >> large "lag time". I have the IdleTimeOut set to 4h. After about three
    >> hours, I type some stuff in the connection, but it still times me out at
    >> four hours.
    >>
    >> I am connecting with xterm from Solaris.
    >>
    >> KeepAlive yes
    >> RekeyIntervalSeconds 3600
    >> IdleTimeOut 4h
    >>
    >> Tom Hartsook
    >> Oregon State Univ

    > ------
    > | Dan O'Reilly | "There are 10 types of people in this |
    > | Principal Engineer | world: those who understand binary |
    > | Process Software | and those who don't." |
    > | http://www.process.com | |

  4. Re: sshd idle timeout

    It should. That's why I wanted to see debug from one of your sessions that
    fails.

    ------