:( - VMS

This is a discussion on :( - VMS ; I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read: October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system. In the years since that ...

  1. :(

    I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read:

    October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of
    VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system.
    In the years since that release, OpenVMS has been the power
    behind some of the most critical applications around the world.

    Three decades and three hardware platforms later, OpenVMS is
    better than ever and ready to take on the future. OpenVMS now
    runs on the most modern technology available, the HP line of
    Integrity servers, including the latest HP Integrity BladeSystem
    servers.

    We hope you enjoy this CD which celebrates 30 years of
    success and demonstrates the strength of OpenVMS today.

    | System Requirements |
    | |
    | Intel(R) Pentium(R)II 450MHz or faster (or equivalent)|
    | 128MB of RAM (256MB Recommended) |
    | Micro$oft(R) Weendoze(R) 98 or later (XP recommended) |
    | 800x600 monitor resolution with 16 bit video card |
    | CD-ROM drive |

    Well, I suppose I can entertain my 8 year old with it when I stick it
    into the microwave later.

    Hopelessly Pathetic. They just DO NOT GET IT. As near as I can tell
    from viewing this CD, it have some Shockwave videos and images. There
    is no reason for it to be M$ only that I can see.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: :(

    On Jan 30, 4:57 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read:
    >
    > October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of
    > VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system.
    > In the years since that release, OpenVMS has been the power
    > behind some of the most critical applications around the world.
    >
    > Three decades and three hardware platforms later, OpenVMS is
    > better than ever and ready to take on the future. OpenVMS now
    > runs on the most modern technology available, the HP line of
    > Integrity servers, including the latest HP Integrity BladeSystem
    > servers.
    >
    > We hope you enjoy this CD which celebrates 30 years of
    > success and demonstrates the strength of OpenVMS today.
    >
    > +-------------------------------------------------------+
    > | System Requirements |
    > | |
    > | Intel(R) Pentium(R)II 450MHz or faster (or equivalent)|
    > | 128MB of RAM (256MB Recommended) |
    > | Micro$oft(R) Weendoze(R) 98 or later (XP recommended) |
    > | 800x600 monitor resolution with 16 bit video card |
    > | CD-ROM drive |
    > +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >
    > Well, I suppose I can entertain my 8 year old with it when I stick it
    > into the microwave later.
    >
    > Hopelessly Pathetic. They just DO NOT GET IT. As near as I can tell
    > from viewing this CD, it have some Shockwave videos and images. There
    > is no reason for it to be M$ only that I can see.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    Did you try it in your Mac? If it's based on html pages and they
    haven't futz up the file name cases then it still may work...

  3. Re: :(

    In article <4d242a31-29d0-4737-b244-9d238d65fd03@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" writes:
    >On Jan 30, 4:57 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read:
    >>
    >> October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of
    >> VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system.
    >> In the years since that release, OpenVMS has been the power
    >> behind some of the most critical applications around the world.
    >>
    >> Three decades and three hardware platforms later, OpenVMS is
    >> better than ever and ready to take on the future. OpenVMS now
    >> runs on the most modern technology available, the HP line of
    >> Integrity servers, including the latest HP Integrity BladeSystem
    >> servers.
    >>
    >> We hope you enjoy this CD which celebrates 30 years of
    >> success and demonstrates the strength of OpenVMS today.
    >>
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >> | System Requirements |
    >> | |
    >> | Intel(R) Pentium(R)II 450MHz or faster (or equivalent)|
    >> | 128MB of RAM (256MB Recommended) |
    >> | Micro$oft(R) Weendoze(R) 98 or later (XP recommended) |
    >> | 800x600 monitor resolution with 16 bit video card |
    >> | CD-ROM drive |
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >>
    >> Well, I suppose I can entertain my 8 year old with it when I stick it
    >> into the microwave later.
    >>
    >> Hopelessly Pathetic. They just DO NOT GET IT. As near as I can tell
    >> from viewing this CD, it have some Shockwave videos and images. There
    >> is no reason for it to be M$ only that I can see.
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >>
    >> http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    >Did you try it in your Mac? If it's based on html pages and they
    >haven't futz up the file name cases then it still may work...

    It COULD have been web pages but NOOOO! It's chock full of .EXEs which I
    haven't tried but I would assume that they're Weendoze .EXEs based on the
    system requirement warning label.

    I can get the .FLV files to play. Why these aren't simple MPEGs escapes
    me. I can't get any SchlockWave files (.SWF) to play. There's a folder
    full of low resolution, generally less than 150x150 size JPEGs. Several
    ..PDF files which are readable. There's one M$ PowerPuke presentation but
    I can't get even the latest version of KeyNote to access it. If anybody
    can get it to work and can save it as a .KEY file, please let me know.

    I found another directory full of .BAT files which I dumped (xxd) and all
    that is in them is "start {filename}.pdf". Weird! There is a similarly
    named file with a .EXE extension for each .BAT.

    Many really bad JavaScript files which, for one, have conditional checks
    for browser type. M$IE or Opera only.

    One other file I can't identify with a .SCR extension.

    I can probably convert the .FLV to MPEG (H.264 too since these all seem
    to be 9x16 format) if anybody is interested.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  4. Re: :(

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > It COULD have been web pages but NOOOO! It's chock full of .EXEs which I
    > haven't tried but I would assume that they're Weendoze .EXEs based on the
    > system requirement warning label.

    Mister VAXman,

    HP caters to the customers who matter. And to HP, those customers all
    have windows machines to read those CDs.

    The fact that they do not cater to you simply means that they are not
    interested in your business.

    It is that simple.

    The few HP employees who do dare write here have a consistent message:
    only requests from customers get listened to. And HP listens to its
    customers. If customers don't demand "something", it means that there is
    no demand for "something".

    The goal isn't to expand VMS's capabilities, it is to please the
    remaining important customers.

  5. Re: :(

    On 2008-01-31 14:24, "VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG" wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > One other file I can't identify with a .SCR extension.

    Probably a "(Windoes) SCReensaver executable" ...

    > [...]

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  6. Re: :(

    On Jan 30, 4:57 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read:
    >
    > October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of
    > VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system.
    > In the years since that release, OpenVMS has been the power
    > behind some of the most critical applications around the world.
    >
    > Three decades and three hardware platforms later, OpenVMS is
    > better than ever and ready to take on the future. OpenVMS now
    > runs on the most modern technology available, the HP line of
    > Integrity servers, including the latest HP Integrity BladeSystem
    > servers.
    >
    > We hope you enjoy this CD which celebrates 30 years of
    > success and demonstrates the strength of OpenVMS today.
    >
    > +-------------------------------------------------------+
    > | System Requirements |
    > | |
    > | Intel(R) Pentium(R)II 450MHz or faster (or equivalent)|
    > | 128MB of RAM (256MB Recommended) |
    > | Micro$oft(R) Weendoze(R) 98 or later (XP recommended) |
    > | 800x600 monitor resolution with 16 bit video card |
    > | CD-ROM drive |
    > +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >
    > Well, I suppose I can entertain my 8 year old with it when I stick it
    > into the microwave later.
    >
    > Hopelessly Pathetic. They just DO NOT GET IT. As near as I can tell
    > from viewing this CD, it have some Shockwave videos and images. There
    > is no reason for it to be M$ only that I can see.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    My copy came in the mail today. I guess there's not much use in
    opening the envelope? Maybe it would be worth more on Ebay still
    sealed in 20 years?

  7. Re: :(

    In article , "johnhreinhardt@yahoo.com" writes:
    >On Jan 30, 4:57 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> I received a CD in the mail today. I opened it to read:
    >>
    >> October 25, 2007 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of
    >> VMS v1.0, the first version of the HP OpenVMS operating system.
    >> In the years since that release, OpenVMS has been the power
    >> behind some of the most critical applications around the world.
    >>
    >> Three decades and three hardware platforms later, OpenVMS is
    >> better than ever and ready to take on the future. OpenVMS now
    >> runs on the most modern technology available, the HP line of
    >> Integrity servers, including the latest HP Integrity BladeSystem
    >> servers.
    >>
    >> We hope you enjoy this CD which celebrates 30 years of
    >> success and demonstrates the strength of OpenVMS today.
    >>
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >> | System Requirements |
    >> | |
    >> | Intel(R) Pentium(R)II 450MHz or faster (or equivalent)|
    >> | 128MB of RAM (256MB Recommended) |
    >> | Micro$oft(R) Weendoze(R) 98 or later (XP recommended) |
    >> | 800x600 monitor resolution with 16 bit video card |
    >> | CD-ROM drive |
    >> +-------------------------------------------------------+
    >>
    >> Well, I suppose I can entertain my 8 year old with it when I stick it
    >> into the microwave later.
    >>
    >> Hopelessly Pathetic. They just DO NOT GET IT. As near as I can tell
    >> from viewing this CD, it have some Shockwave videos and images. There
    >> is no reason for it to be M$ only that I can see.
    >>
    >> --
    >> VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >>
    >> "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >>
    >> http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    >My copy came in the mail today. I guess there's not much use in
    >opening the envelope? Maybe it would be worth more on Ebay still
    >sealed in 20 years?

    Feb 1, 2027.

    For auction, one CD of files and information about something called OpenVMS
    and it says it was from the printer ink company HP. This item is a real bit
    of history as it shows that HP once offered something other than high priced
    ink before it went out of business.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: :(

    In article <47a1e370$0$25049$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > The point is that there is little on that CD that needed to be Weendoze
    > specific. I'm actually surprized that the images weren't some Weendoze
    > specific media format and I am shocked that the videos were .FLV and not
    > .WMV! I don't know what the myriad .EXEs do and I don't understand the
    > purpose of the .BAT files but I'd wager that most, if not all of the CD
    > could have just been a coupld of linked web pages with a main jump off
    > index.html.

    FWIW I have in the past been able to run UNZIP on .EXEs supplied by HP -
    they turned out to be self extracting zip files.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  9. Re: :(

    In article , "P. Sture" writes:
    >In article <47a1e370$0$25049$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> The point is that there is little on that CD that needed to be Weendoze
    >> specific. I'm actually surprized that the images weren't some Weendoze
    >> specific media format and I am shocked that the videos were .FLV and not
    >> .WMV! I don't know what the myriad .EXEs do and I don't understand the
    >> purpose of the .BAT files but I'd wager that most, if not all of the CD
    >> could have just been a coupld of linked web pages with a main jump off
    >> index.html.

    >FWIW I have in the past been able to run UNZIP on .EXEs supplied by HP -
    >they turned out to be self extracting zip files.

    Is that was those files are? I'll give them a go if somebody can verify
    that they are indeed self-extracting ZIPs. Otherwise, I don't have the
    time to spare.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  10. Re: :(

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , "P. Sture" writes:
    >> In article <47a1e370$0$25049$607ed4bc@cv.net>,
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>
    >>> The point is that there is little on that CD that needed to be Weendoze
    >>> specific. I'm actually surprized that the images weren't some Weendoze
    >>> specific media format and I am shocked that the videos were .FLV and not
    >>> .WMV! I don't know what the myriad .EXEs do and I don't understand the
    >>> purpose of the .BAT files but I'd wager that most, if not all of the CD
    >>> could have just been a coupld of linked web pages with a main jump off
    >>> index.html.

    >> FWIW I have in the past been able to run UNZIP on .EXEs supplied by HP -
    >> they turned out to be self extracting zip files.

    > Is that was those files are? I'll give them a go if somebody can verify
    > that they are indeed self-extracting ZIPs. Otherwise, I don't have the
    > time to spare.

    Try yourself. Unzip -lv should do no harm and will tell you
    if it's a zip file or not.

    Albrecht

+ Reply to Thread