Free for hobbyist use - 2 x AlphaServer 2000 (West Midlands, UK) - VMS

This is a discussion on Free for hobbyist use - 2 x AlphaServer 2000 (West Midlands, UK) - VMS ; Gentle colleagues, Following systems available for hobbyist use: 2 x AlphaServer 2000. I think one is a 5/300 and the other is a 4/275 but don't know which is which as the doors are off both (the hinges are missing). ...

  1. Free for hobbyist use - 2 x AlphaServer 2000 (West Midlands, UK)

    Gentle colleagues,

    Following systems available for hobbyist use:

    2 x AlphaServer 2000. I think one is a 5/300 and the other is a 4/275
    but don't know which is which as the doors are off both (the hinges are
    missing). Don't know if they work as it's too much hard work to get the
    machines to somewhere there's power, but I believe they worked last time
    we tried them. I've left the CD-ROM, floppy drive and a SCSI card in
    each (plus one also has a graphics card in it). Both have internal
    StorageWorks disk shelves (8 slots in each). One freshly formatted RZ29
    (4.3 Gbytes) disk in each system (I could supply a VMS 8.3 Installation
    CD if necessary... I don't have access to the systems, otherwise I'd
    pre-install VMS). I also don't know how much memory there is in each
    system, but I'd guess it's at least 64 Mbytes each. Suitable for
    VMS, Tru64, Linux(?) or NetBSD(?).

    Any takers must pick up personally from Coventry (near Warwick
    University).

  2. Re: Free for hobbyist use - 2 x AlphaServer 2000 (West Midlands,UK)

    Somebody whose name closely resembles mine wrote:

    > Following systems available for hobbyist use:
    >
    > 2 x AlphaServer 2000. I think one is a 5/300 and the other is a 4/275
    > but don't know which is which as the doors are off both (the hinges are
    > missing). Don't know if they work as it's too much hard work to get the
    > machines to somewhere there's power, but I believe they worked last time
    > we tried them. I've left the CD-ROM, floppy drive and a SCSI card in
    > each (plus one also has a graphics card in it). Both have internal
    > StorageWorks disk shelves (8 slots in each). One freshly formatted RZ29
    > (4.3 Gbytes) disk in each system (I could supply a VMS 8.3 Installation
    > CD if necessary... I don't have access to the systems, otherwise I'd
    > pre-install VMS). I also don't know how much memory there is in each
    > system, but I'd guess it's at least 64 Mbytes each. Suitable for
    > VMS, Tru64, Linux(?) or NetBSD(?).

    These systems have now been taken, and the new owner has promised
    to give them the Tender Loving Care that they so richly deserve :-)

+ Reply to Thread