Re: Anyway to "smarten up" the console terminal? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Anyway to "smarten up" the console terminal? - VMS ; From: Slor > This may be a really silly question, but here goes anyway... I've seen worse. > I have OpenVMS 8.3 running on an old DEC 3000 with only 64MB of memory. > Following suggestions from this group based ...

  1. Re: Anyway to "smarten up" the console terminal?

    From: Slor

    > This may be a really silly question, but here goes anyway...

    I've seen worse.

    > I have OpenVMS 8.3 running on an old DEC 3000 with only 64MB of memory.
    > Following suggestions from this group based on this system's specs, I chose
    > not to install any of the windowing components, so my console is the basic
    > black text screen. A bit of web searching tells me that this console is
    > pretty much as dumb as it gets, so there's really no valid terminal type to
    > be used unless some helper like DECWindows is loaded and doing terminal
    > emulation in its windows. My question - is there any other way to get the
    > physical console to behave in a more full-featured manner for screen-
    > oriented text apps, command line editing support, etc.?

    You might try SET TERMINAL /DEVICE_TYPE = VT52 (or, for a short
    stroll down memory lane, SET TERMINAL /VT52). I seem to recall hearing
    someone say that EDIT /EDT did better than EDIT /TPU with a VT52, but I
    know nothing.

    Well, I do know that more memory would be a good thing.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Anyway to "smarten up" the console terminal?

    In article <08011202340576_206002CA@antinode.org>,
    sms@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:

    > You might try SET TERMINAL /DEVICE_TYPE = VT52 (or, for a short
    > stroll down memory lane, SET TERMINAL /VT52). I seem to recall hearing
    > someone say that EDIT /EDT did better than EDIT /TPU with a VT52, but I
    > know nothing.

    EDIT/TPU will refuse to work with a VT52:

    $ set term/vt52
    $ edit/tpu
    %TPU-E-NONANSICRT, SYS$INPUT must be supported CRT
    $

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: