OT, but worth a look (UK: No Vista in schools) - VMS

This is a discussion on OT, but worth a look (UK: No Vista in schools) - VMS ; Happened upon this in one of my daily e-mail newsletters: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...o-Vista_1.html The UK's schools people still see no compelling reason to move off of XP (Windows or Office), and still see a significant negative (ROI) in doing so, if I ...

  1. OT, but worth a look (UK: No Vista in schools)

    Happened upon this in one of my daily e-mail newsletters:

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...o-Vista_1.html

    The UK's schools people still see no compelling reason to move off of XP
    (Windows or Office), and still see a significant negative (ROI) in doing
    so, if I read this right.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  2. Re: OT, but worth a look (UK: No Vista in schools)

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Happened upon this in one of my daily e-mail newsletters:
    >
    > http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...o-Vista_1.html

    Microsoft used to have a "policy" of leaving in tons of bugs and
    requiring lots of reboots. This way, it was quite easy to motivate the
    masses to buy a new version of Windows that had improved stability.

    With XP, Microsoft achieved palatable stability and people no longer see
    such a great need to upgrade since Vista only brings on useless bells
    and whistles that require more powerful hardware.

    Had Microsoft not made XP so "stable", it would have lost a lot more
    market share to Apple and Linux.

    Apple is also stuck at pretty much the same place now with each new
    version just adding a couple of real stuff and a lot of bells and whistles.

    Where both need to go now is to work on the underpinnings and system
    management to make it far better in corporate environments and then,
    large corporate users will see a great advantage in upgrading. (for
    instance, getting real clustering etc etc).

+ Reply to Thread