DCPS for OS-X/Unix ? - VMS

This is a discussion on DCPS for OS-X/Unix ? - VMS ; On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a text file to a postscript printer ? On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in fact, it will know how to ...

  1. DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    text file to a postscript printer ?

    On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    spews it out to the printer.

    Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?

    Or would the easiest way be to just write a postscript prologue which
    will then print the text data that follows ? (and you print both together).

  2. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    > text file to a postscript printer ?
    >
    > On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    > fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    > spews it out to the printer.
    >
    > Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?
    >
    > Or would the easiest way be to just write a postscript prologue which
    > will then print the text data that follows ? (and you print both together).

    On Tru64 there is a similar application: Advanced Printing (APX)
    http://h30097.www3.hp.com/printing/apx.html

    It works much like DCPS (you make queues with different features etc)
    and even the flag page is almost an exact copy of DCPS's flag page. I
    haven't investigated it closer, but could be that it is a unix port of DCPS.

    A generic way to print PS documents directly from the command line in
    most unices is to use a output filter on the queue (of in
    /etc/printcap). There are ready-made PS filters for that.

    Kari

  3. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:38:37 -0500, JF Mezei wrote:
    > On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    > text file to a postscript printer ?

    > On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    > fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    > spews it out to the printer.

    > Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?

    > Or would the easiest way be to just write a postscript prologue which
    > will then print the text data that follows ? (and you print both together).

    Depending on the print server (CUPS, for eaxmple), it could be
    as simple as:
    $ lpr
    or other programs can format the text file first, for example:
    $ fold -s | pr -F -l66 -h"" | lpr
    which folds the text lines at word breaks so each line is less
    than 80 characters, then pr puts on headers, then lpr prints it.

    Or if you want to simply create a Postscript file from a text file,
    you could use a2ps or enscript or other programs.

    If you're printing an already created Postscript file, use
    $ lpr -l
    The "-l" says send it raw; i.e., don't convert it to Postscript first.

    And other possibilities.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  4. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    In article <47869f4e$0$16152$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    JF Mezei wrote:

    > On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    > text file to a postscript printer ?
    >
    > On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    > fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    > spews it out to the printer.
    >
    > Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?
    >
    > Or would the easiest way be to just write a postscript prologue which
    > will then print the text data that follows ? (and you print both together).

    On Mac OS X, open the Postscript file with Applications -> Preview
    and print from there. That works very well.

    Generic *nix, you can use Ghostscript to print Postscript
    documents. If your generic *nix does not already have
    Ghostscript, it can generally be compiled for a given distribution
    of *nix.

    Bob Harris

  5. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    In article ,
    Dale Dellutri wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:38:37 -0500, JF Mezei
    > wrote:
    > > On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    > > text file to a postscript printer ?

    > > On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    > > fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    > > spews it out to the printer.

    > > Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?

    > > Or would the easiest way be to just write a postscript prologue which
    > > will then print the text data that follows ? (and you print both together).

    > Depending on the print server (CUPS, for eaxmple), it could be
    > as simple as:
    > $ lpr
    > or other programs can format the text file first, for example:
    > $ fold -s | pr -F -l66 -h"" | lpr
    > which folds the text lines at word breaks so each line is less
    > than 80 characters, then pr puts on headers, then lpr prints it.
    >
    > Or if you want to simply create a Postscript file from a text file,
    > you could use a2ps or enscript or other programs.
    >
    > If you're printing an already created Postscript file, use
    > $ lpr -l
    > The "-l" says send it raw; i.e., don't convert it to Postscript first.
    >
    > And other possibilities.

    Other possibilities include setting up an LPR/LPD queue on a VMS system
    and pointing it at the queue on the *nix system. This works very well to
    the printer on my OS X system with the exception that I haven't found a
    way of suppressing the CUPS header pages for jobs coming from VMS.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    In article <47869f4e$0$16152$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > On unix, at the shell prompt, what is the expected practice to print a
    > text file to a postscript printer ?

    lp, or lpr, depending on which flavor of UNIX.

    > On VMS, we have DCPS which will automatically translate a text file (in
    > fact, it will know how to handle LN03/ANSI print sequences as well) and
    > spews it out to the printer.
    >
    > Is there some equivalent built-into most Unixes ?

    It has been my painfull experience that UNIX was ahead of VMS on
    this part of printer handling for several years.

  7. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    In article <4786a121$0$14988$9b536df3@news.fv.fi>,
    Uusimäki wrote:

    > On Tru64 there is a similar application: Advanced Printing (APX)
    > http://h30097.www3.hp.com/printing/apx.html
    >
    > It works much like DCPS (you make queues with different features etc)
    > and even the flag page is almost an exact copy of DCPS's flag page. I
    > haven't investigated it closer, but could be that it is a unix port
    > of DCPS.

    Advanced Printing and DCPS have a common heritage. Even though DCPS was
    developed by the Components and Peripherals division of Digital, and
    Advanced Printing was developed in the Unix group, some people from C&P
    moved to Unix to work on Advanced Printing. I wouldn't be surprised if
    there was some common code between the two.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  8. Re: DCPS for OS-X/Unix ?

    In article ,
    Bob Harris wrote:

    > On Mac OS X, open the Postscript file with Applications -> Preview
    > and print from there. That works very well.

    You can also drag a PostScript file to the printer queue in your list of
    printers (Print & Fax system preference in Leopard, Printer Setup
    Utility in Tiger). I have an alias on my desktop specifically for this
    purpose.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson