MAC and Current address - VMS

This is a discussion on MAC and Current address - VMS ; I note that since 7.3-2 that mc lancp show config prints both MAC and Current address and that for DE500 they are the same but for DE600 they are different. What is the difference and how are these addresses used? ...

  1. MAC and Current address

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: MAC and Current address

    Tom,

    Is DECnet running on the DE600 and not on the DE500?
    If you are running DECnet then the two addresses are (almost
    certainly) supposed to be different.

    Sean

    On Jan 10, 9:19*am, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > I note that since 7.3-2 that
    > mc lancp show config
    > prints both MAC and Current address and that for DE500
    > they are the same but for DE600 they are different.
    >
    > What is the difference and how are these addresses used?
    >
    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMSwww.kednos.com

  3. Re: MAC and Current address

    "Tom Linden" writes:

    > I note that since 7.3-2 that
    > mc lancp show config
    > prints both MAC and Current address and that for DE500
    > they are the same but for DE600 they are different.

    Note that $ SHOW DEVICE /FULL [lan device] will display MAC addresses
    for V8.3 and beyond.

    --

    Rob Brooks MSL -- Nashua brooks!cuebid.zko.hp.com

  4. Re: MAC and Current address

    In article ,
    brooks@cuebid.zko.hp.nospam (Rob Brooks) wrote:

    > "Tom Linden" writes:
    >
    > > I note that since 7.3-2 that
    > > mc lancp show config
    > > prints both MAC and Current address and that for DE500
    > > they are the same but for DE600 they are different.

    > Note that $ SHOW DEVICE /FULL [lan device] will display MAC addresses
    > for V8.3 and beyond.

    With that information I'm going to guess that Tom has the DE600
    configured for DECnet, but the DE500 configured for TCP/IP only
    (possibly not configured for that either).

    On my system with a pair f DE500s:

    $ show dev ewa0/full ! configured for DECnet
    Def. MAC addr 00-00-F8-75-3B-99 Current MAC addr AA-00-04-00-7A-D8

    $ show dev ewa0/full ! NOT configured for DECnet
    Def. MAC addr 08-00-2B-C5-40-4D Current MAC addr 08-00-2B-C5-40-4D

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: