Carl J. Lydick - VMS

This is a discussion on Carl J. Lydick - VMS ; Hello, Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J. Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the post is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Carl J. Lydick

    Hello,

    Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    post is no longer valid.

    Thanks,
    Roland

  2. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    >Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    >like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    >post is no longer valid.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Roland

    Roland, If you believe in the hereafter, you might be in luck.

    Carl J. Lydick check out around the 25th of August of 1996.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > Lydick?

    Mr Lydick passed away many many years ago.

  4. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Jan 7, 4:58 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    > yyyc186 wrote:
    > > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > > Lydick?

    > Mr Lydick passed away many many years ago.

    Sorry to hear that. He wrote a handy little piece of code.

  5. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Jan 7, 6:03*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 4:58 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    > > yyyc186 wrote:
    > > > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > > > Lydick?

    > > Mr Lydick passed away many many years ago.

    > Sorry to hear that. *He wrote a handy little piece of code.

    Carl solved many a problem, but was not a very patient of tolerant
    forum participant.
    Demonstratios of ignorance and stupidity ticked him of rather easily.
    I alwasy associated the term 'flame wars' with him.

    Anyway, to combined resources here can probably help you just fine.
    Try us!

    Here is my best guess for an answer: F$UNIQUE() ! V8.3 +

    Cheers,
    Hein.

  6. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Jan 7, 6:49 pm, Hein RMS van den Heuvel
    wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 6:03 pm, yyyc186 wrote:

    > > > Mr Lydick passed away many many years ago.

    > > Sorry to hear that. He wrote a handy little piece of code.

    > Carl solved many a problem, but was not a very patient of tolerant
    > forum participant.

    Talk about your understatements! He quite frequently called people
    sh^t-for-brains. The amazing thing I always found was that even if you
    pissed him off so as incur his wrath, as soon as your re-posted
    question met his specs he'd politely and quite helpfully give an
    answer. But he didn't always live up to his own specs!

    I once wrote to him asking him why he was like he was and he sent back
    a long, long answer.

    > Demonstratios of ignorance and stupidity ticked him of rather easily.

    Again -- understatement!!! I remember one poster saying -- shortly
    after his passing, I think: "Well, yeah, he could be a bit rude."
    Well, yes -- I'd consider calling someone a sh^t-for-brains somewhat
    on the rude side! (!)

    > I alwasy associated the term 'flame wars' with him.
    >
    > Anyway, to combined resources here can probably help you just fine.
    > Try us!
    >
    > Here is my best guess for an answer: F$UNIQUE() ! V8.3 +
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Hein.

    AEF

  7. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Hein RMS van den Heuvel wrote:
    > Carl solved many a problem, but was not a very patient of tolerant
    > forum participant.
    > Demonstratios of ignorance and stupidity ticked him of rather easily.
    > I alwasy associated the term 'flame wars' with him.

    It was not so bad in the beginning - him and Ehud flamed poor
    posts a bit - but not that hard.

    It was first in his last years that it went out of control.

    Arne

  8. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.

    I'm in the process of finishing the last few chapters of "The Minimum
    You Need to Know About SOA" and wanted to include his
    GENTMPFILENAME.COM in the chapter where a DCL port service will be
    receiving XML messages it dumps to files so they can be queued to ACMS
    tasks.

    Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    Thanks for reading this.

    Roland

    On Jan 7, 7:09 pm, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Hein RMS van den Heuvel wrote:
    >
    > > Carl solved many a problem, but was not a very patient of tolerant
    > > forum participant.
    > > Demonstratios of ignorance and stupidity ticked him of rather easily.
    > > I alwasy associated the term 'flame wars' with him.

    > It was not so bad in the beginning - him and Ehud flamed poor
    > posts a bit - but not that hard.
    >
    > It was first in his last years that it went out of control.
    >
    > Arne

  9. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.
    >
    > I'm in the process of finishing the last few chapters of "The Minimum
    > You Need to Know About SOA" and wanted to include his
    > GENTMPFILENAME.COM in the chapter where a DCL port service will be
    > receiving XML messages it dumps to files so they can be queued to ACMS
    > tasks.
    >
    > Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    > and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    > don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.
    >
    > Thanks for reading this.
    >
    > Roland
    >

    > On Jan 7, 7:09 pm, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> Hein RMS van den Heuvel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Carl solved many a problem, but was not a very patient of tolerant
    >>> forum participant.
    >>> Demonstratios of ignorance and stupidity ticked him of rather easily.
    >>> I alwasy associated the term 'flame wars' with him.

    >> It was not so bad in the beginning - him and Ehud flamed poor
    >> posts a bit - but not that hard.
    >>
    >> It was first in his last years that it went out of control.
    >>
    >> Arne

    Roland,

    Carl's message is still in Google Groups:

    The thread is "DCL Unique Filenames", started Aug 8, 1994. 8-)

    Jeff

  10. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.

    > Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    > and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    > don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    Back in 94 I would say that everybody was assuming stuff posted
    to usenet was put into the public domain.

    Carl Lydick posted it for all VMS users to use.

    Arne

  11. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Jan 7, 8:40*pm, yyyc186 wrote:
    > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.

    I'm sure you know best.

    > I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    If the wheel is crooked and rusty, it may be time to fix it up.

    $ LOOP: TMPFIL=F$FAO(P1, PID+F$EDIT(F$TIME(),"COLLAPSE")-":"-":"-".")
    $ IF F$SEARCH(TMPFIL) .NES. "" THEN GOTO LOOP

    That's possibly better replaced by: $TMPFIL=F$FAO(P1,F$UNIQUE())

    > Thanks for reading this.

    No, thank you!

    Cheers,
    Hein.

  12. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    > like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    > post is no longer valid.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Roland

    Carl J. Lydick died ca. 1995. Sorry about that!

  13. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    yyyc186 wrote:
    > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.
    >
    > I'm in the process of finishing the last few chapters of "The Minimum
    > You Need to Know About SOA" and wanted to include his
    > GENTMPFILENAME.COM in the chapter where a DCL port service will be
    > receiving XML messages it dumps to files so they can be queued to ACMS
    > tasks.
    >
    > Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    > and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    > don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    I don't think Carl would mind as long as you give him proper credit and
    don't publish anything you haven't tested!!

  14. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On 8 Jan., 05:15, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    > yyyc186 wrote:
    > > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.

    > > I'm in the process of finishing the last few chapters of "The Minimum
    > > You Need to Know About SOA" and wanted to include his
    > > GENTMPFILENAME.COM in the chapter where a DCL port service will be
    > > receiving XML messages it dumps to files so they can be queued to ACMS
    > > tasks.

    > > Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    > > and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    > > don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    > I don't think Carl would mind as long as you give him proper credit and
    > don't publish anything you haven't tested!!

    Carl was ok. Had lots of good conversations and he helped out a lot.
    All one
    had to do is explaining the problem/questions as best as possible
    along providing
    details.

    I liked his disclaimer: This is comp.os.vms , not
    alt.read.my.mind. ;-)))

    Andreas W Wylach

  15. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Yeah, I liked that disclaimer too, he once helped me out when I was stuck
    with something that made me blind,
    he could be quite polite, I think I have his answer somewhere too.

    ^P

    "Andreas W. Wylach" skrev i meddelandet
    > On 8 Jan., 05:15, "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote:
    > > yyyc186 wrote:
    > > > None of you can give me the answer I was looking for from him.

    > > > I'm in the process of finishing the last few chapters of "The Minimum
    > > > You Need to Know About SOA" and wanted to include his
    > > > GENTMPFILENAME.COM in the chapter where a DCL port service will be
    > > > receiving XML messages it dumps to files so they can be queued to ACMS
    > > > tasks.

    > > > Since it was posted publicly, I will add an author tag in the comments
    > > > and attribute it to him. It was a nice little piece of code and I
    > > > don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.

    > > I don't think Carl would mind as long as you give him proper credit and
    > > don't publish anything you haven't tested!!

    > Carl was ok. Had lots of good conversations and he helped out a lot.
    > All one
    > had to do is explaining the problem/questions as best as possible
    > along providing
    > details.
    >
    > I liked his disclaimer: This is comp.os.vms , not
    > alt.read.my.mind. ;-)))
    >
    > Andreas W Wylach

  16. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    PL wrote:
    > Yeah, I liked that disclaimer too, he once helped me out when I was stuck
    > with something that made me blind,
    > he could be quite polite, I think I have his answer somewhere too.
    >
    > ^P
    >
    > "Andreas W. Wylach" skrev i meddelandet

    > > > I don't think Carl would mind as long as you give him proper credit and
    > > > don't publish anything you haven't tested!!

    > > Carl was ok. Had lots of good conversations and he helped out a lot.
    > > All one
    > > had to do is explaining the problem/questions as best as possible
    > > along providing
    > > details.
    > >
    > > I liked his disclaimer: This is comp.os.vms , not
    > > alt.read.my.mind. ;-)))
    > >
    > > Andreas W Wylach

    Carl and I were regular sparring partners. I'd be lying if I said we
    were friends, but I did respect him greatly and raised a rare glass to
    his memory when he passed. Rest in peace, Carl.

    Shane Smith

  17. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <4e1b4f63-ff4f-466d-8151-2f3775d39066@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, res0o7il@yahoo.com writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >Carl and I were regular sparring partners. I'd be lying if I said we
    >were friends, but I did respect him greatly and raised a rare glass to
    >his memory when he passed. Rest in peace, Carl.
    >
    >Shane Smith

    Shane, long time no see in these parts. I almost didn't recognize you

    #####
    #-O-O-#
    # L #
    #===#
    ###

    without your picture.

    Drop me a line when you have bit of free time.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  18. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    > like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    > post is no longer valid.

    You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

  19. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    >>Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    >>like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    >>post is no longer valid.

    > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    Now, now. . . .

    Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.

    "Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

  20. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On 10 Jan., 19:39, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    > > In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf926...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:

    > >>Hello,

    > >>Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > >>Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    > >>like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    > >>post is no longer valid.

    > > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    > Now, now. . . .
    >
    > Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.
    >
    > "Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    i would say

    "Es ist keine grosse Suende Geduld mit Idioten gehabt zu gaben"

    :-))

    Andreas W. Wylach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast