Carl J. Lydick - VMS

This is a discussion on Carl J. Lydick - VMS ; On 10 Jan., 19:50, "Andreas W. Wylach" wrote: > On 10 Jan., 19:39, "Richard B. Gilbert" > wrote: > > > > > Bob Koehler wrote: > > > In article , yyyc186 writes: > > > >>Hello, > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On 10 Jan., 19:50, "Andreas W. Wylach" wrote:
    > On 10 Jan., 19:39, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Bob Koehler wrote:

    > > > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    > > Now, now. . . .

    > > Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.

    > > "Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    > Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??
    >
    > i would say
    >
    > "Es ist keine grosse Suende Geduld mit Idioten gehabt zu gaben"
    >
    > :-))
    >
    > Andreas W. Wylach

    gaben = haben .. sorry for the mistake!

    Andreas W. Wylach

  2. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Andreas W. Wylach wrote:
    > On 10 Jan., 19:39, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Koehler wrote:

    >>> You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    >>Now, now. . . .
    >>
    >>Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.
    >>
    >>"Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    > Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    No, it's a quote! Fifty years ago, I could have told you the source.

  3. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Andreas W. Wylach wrote:
    >> On 10 Jan., 19:39, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >> wrote:

    >>> Now, now. . . .
    >>>
    >>> Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.
    >>>
    >>> "Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    >> Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??
    >>

    > No, it's a quote! Fifty years ago, I could have told you the source.

    There are a few hits on Google in this format :

    "Gegen Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergeben!"

    The above might be a paraphrase of Nietzsche's(?) saying :

    "Gegen die Langeweile kämpfen Götter selbst vergeben."

    I might be wrong, as I don't speak German :-)

    Cheers, Csaba

    |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| http://csabaharangozo.blogspot.com
    EARTH::AUSTRALIA:[SYDNEY]HARANGOZO.CSABA;1, delete? [N]:

    All things being equal, fat people use more soap.

  4. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article
    <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    yyyc186 writes:

    > Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    > like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    > post is no longer valid.

    He died several years ago.

    http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~vance/carl_lydick.html

    I don't think it exists anymore, but there used to be an "internet
    memorial" to Carl, titled, appropriately, The Eternal Flame.

  5. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article
    ,
    "Andreas W. Wylach" writes:

    > > "Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    > Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    Wenn, dann eine Rückübersetzung. Continuing in English for the majority
    of our readers: If it is a Google (or other) translation, then actually
    a back-translation, since I think the original quote is in German, by
    Friedrich Schiller.

    OK, I'm running CSWB on a DEC 3000/600 (slow but it works) displaying on
    a VAXstation 4000/90A with a huge DEC monitor. Google says:

    "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens." Friedrich Schiller,
    Die Jungfrau von Orléans.

    The usual English translation is: "Against stupidity, the gods themselves
    contend in vain." By the way, this is the source for the title of Isaac
    Asimov's (whom I mentioned in another thread today) novel The Gods
    Themselves.

    Usual translations: Einstein's famous "Raffiniert ist der Herrgott, aber
    boshaft ist er nicht" is usual translated as "The Lord is subtle, but
    not malicious". In his book Subtle is the Lord... (an excellent
    scientific biography of Einstein), Abraham Pais notes that Einstein's
    own translation was "God may be slick, but he ain't mean".

  6. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    > In article
    > ,
    > "Andreas W. Wylach" writes:
    >

    >>>"Mit der dumheit kämpfen die götter selbst vergeben!"

    >>Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    > Wenn, dann eine Rückübersetzung. Continuing in English for the majority
    > of our readers: If it is a Google (or other) translation, then actually
    > a back-translation, since I think the original quote is in German, by
    > Friedrich Schiller.

    It's not a Google, or any other, translation. I encountered the quote
    somewhere, in the original German, and memorized it. No, I did not read
    "Die Jungrau von Orleans" from which it came originally.

  7. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <4786A4AD.4020403@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    writes:

    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    > > In article
    > > ,

    > >>Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    > > Wenn, dann eine Rückübersetzung. Continuing in English for the majority
    > > of our readers: If it is a Google (or other) translation, then actually
    > > a back-translation, since I think the original quote is in German, by
    > > Friedrich Schiller.
    > >

    > It's not a Google, or any other, translation. I encountered the quote
    > somewhere, in the original German, and memorized it. No, I did not read
    > "Die Jungrau von Orleans" from which it came originally.

    There should be an "s" at the end of "vergeben" and götter should be
    capitalised. This is probably why some suspected an automatic
    translation, since it had some errors.

  8. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Jan 10, 1:39 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    > > In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf926...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:

    > >>Hello,

    > >>Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    > >>Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    > >>like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    > >>post is no longer valid.

    > > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    > Now, now. . . .
    >
    > Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.

    Calling people SFB's is a little beyond not having patience. Still yet
    again an understatement about Carl's behavior.

    [...]

    But you forget how hypocritical he was. He posted stuff he didn't
    check (like his very incorrect explanation of how BACKUP/FAST works)
    and he told one poster who asked how you could stop dead in a nested
    DCL command procedure that it couldn't be done, at least not easily.
    People responded with HELP STOP! The great CJL didn't know about STOP!
    (I can't find the STOP bit with Google -- but I may still have it in
    my old personal cov archives!)

    I can't believe all the praise this guy is getting. Maybe I should try
    severely flaming people and being hypocritical about it! OK, yes, he
    often came up with useful stuff, but that doesn't excuse his dark
    side.

    AEF

  9. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:
    >> Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    >> Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    >> like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    >> post is no longer valid.

    > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    Do not speak evil oft the dead.

    Arne

  10. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    > In article <4786A4AD.4020403@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > writes:
    >

    >>Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article
    >>>,

    Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder?. Continuing in English for
    the majority
    >>>of our readers: If it is a Google (or other) translation, then actually
    >>>a back-translation, since I think the original quote is in German, by
    >>>Friedrich Schiller.
    >>>

    >>It's not a Google, or any other, translation. I encountered the quote
    >>somewhere, in the original German, and memorized it. No, I did not read
    >>"Die Jungrau von Orleans" from which it came originally.

    > There should be an "s" at the end of "vergeben" and götter should be
    > capitalised. This is probably why some suspected an automatic
    > translation, since it had some errors.

    The errors are due entirely to my failing memory.

  11. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <256ae498-b563-4eb9-a368-03e7aa15c3e2@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, AEF writes:

    >On Jan 10, 1:39 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >wrote:
    >> Bob Koehler wrote:

    >> > You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    >> Now, now. . . .
    >>
    >> Having no patience with idiots is not that great a sin.

    >Calling people SFB's is a little beyond not having patience. Still yet
    >again an understatement about Carl's behavior.

    He was, I believe, not in the least an ill-natured man: very much the
    opposite, I should say; but he would not suffer fools gladly.
    -- George Bernard Shaw, Pygmalion

    >But you forget how hypocritical he was. He posted stuff he didn't
    >check (like his very incorrect explanation of how BACKUP/FAST works)
    >and he told one poster who asked how you could stop dead in a nested
    >DCL command procedure that it couldn't be done, at least not easily.
    >People responded with HELP STOP! The great CJL didn't know about STOP!
    >(I can't find the STOP bit with Google -- but I may still have it in
    >my old personal cov archives!)
    >
    >I can't believe all the praise this guy is getting. Maybe I should try
    >severely flaming people and being hypocritical about it! OK, yes, he
    >often came up with useful stuff, but that doesn't excuse his dark
    >side.

    C'est la vie. Carl was, whether you like it or not, part of the history
    of this and several other VMS focused newsgroups. Comp.os.vms isn't any
    church social, nor is it a bar room brawl. However, c.o.v. has, in its
    history, been at both of these boundary extremes. I enjoy a good, well
    deserved flame; I also enjoy a good technical discussion. Comp.os.vms,
    as well as the late Carl, provided both.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  12. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Andreas W. Wylach wrote:

    >> "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen die Götter selbst vergeben!"

    > Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    No, it's a quote from F.Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III, 6
    Popular some years ago because re-used by Asimov in his "The god
    themselves".

    I have corrected a few typos (Dummheit with two m's and substantives
    are capitalized)

    nospam@mi.iasf.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more persons to

  13. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article , LC's NoSpam Newsreading account writes:
    >On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Andreas W. Wylach wrote:
    >
    >>> "Mit der Dummheit kämpfen die Götter selbst vergeben!"

    >> Das ist doch eine Google Uebersetzung, oder? ..??

    >No, it's a quote from F.Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III, 6
    >Popular some years ago because re-used by Asimov in his "The god
    >themselves".
    >
    >I have corrected a few typos (Dummheit with two m's and substantives
    >are capitalized)

    But you still missed one: it should be "vergebens" with a "s" at the end.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  14. Re: Carl J. Lydick

    In article <4786c644$0$90274$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= writes:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> In article <4a71ab9d-d89d-4a80-94c6-d1e3bf92633d@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, yyyc186 writes:
    >>> Does anyone here have a method of getting in touch with Carl J.
    >>> Lydick? Quite some time ago he posted GENTMPFILENAME.COM, and I would
    >>> like to talk with him about it. The email address associated with the
    >>> post is no longer valid.

    >> You'ld have to go to hell. Unless he got really lucky.

    > Do not speak evil oft the dead.

    Having known several people who come across similar to CJL, I think
    he'd have sensed the joke more readily than that.

    I have fond memories of "getting the last word" by flaming him, setting
    my account DISMAIL, and going on vacation.

    But I also thought of him more as a kindred spirit than a bad fellow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2