Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS - VMS ; hi folks. We're looking at using Tivoli TSM on out ALPHA ES-45 boxes. Is anyone using it currently? If so, how do you like it ? Any got'chas to be aware of? currently, we're doing a weekly VMS backup to ...

  1. Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS

    hi folks.

    We're looking at using Tivoli TSM on out ALPHA ES-45 boxes.
    Is anyone using it currently? If so, how do you like it ? Any got'chas
    to be aware of?

    currently, we're doing a weekly VMS backup to create the savesets,
    then FTP'g to our corporate TSM host for eventual off-site storage.

    We want to use the TSM on VMS to sent the savesets off-site from the
    ALPHA and to elimiate the FTP process. The FTP process currently take
    an additional 5-6 hours beyond the creating the saveset. Yes, these
    savesets are quite large.

    Thanks ! Ann

  2. Re: Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS

    On 7 Jan, 21:41, "flaming...@hotmail.com"
    wrote:
    > hi folks.
    >
    > We're looking at using Tivoli TSM on out ALPHA ES-45 boxes.
    > Is anyone using it currently? If so, how do you like it ? Any got'chas
    > to be aware of?
    >
    > currently, we're doing a weekly VMS backup to create the savesets,
    > then FTP'g to our corporate TSM host for eventual off-site storage.
    >
    > We want to use the TSM on VMS to sent the savesets off-site from the
    > ALPHA and to elimiate the FTP process. *The FTP process currently take
    > an additional 5-6 hours beyond the creating the saveset. *Yes, these
    > savesets are quite large.
    >
    > Thanks ! *Ann

    One of our clients in my day-to-day work uses TSM for everything and
    they're happy with it. At the moment, everything else that we're
    interested in on our client's behalf emails out its log files but the
    VMS system backup doesn't which doesn't fill me with confidence.

    As ever with a situation like this, you need to be sure that you can
    get the system back and that may mean from raw iron - no O/S, no
    catalogue of what you've backed up or when. VMS Backup is safe
    because you can restore it from a booted VMS CD/DVD. Nothing else
    gives you that flexibility, whether it be disk to disk or disk to
    tape.

    Let the buyer beware.

  3. Re: Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On 7 Jan, 21:41, "flaming...@hotmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> hi folks.
    >>
    >> We're looking at using Tivoli TSM on out ALPHA ES-45 boxes.

    You are talking about the ABS client for TSM, right ?
    Or are there other VMS tools for Tivoli TMS ?

    I have installed it an a couple of boxes, and I was
    surpriced about the level of VMS compatibility.

    And I also like how ABS/TMS takes incremental backups
    but automaticly merge them with the "disk image" on the
    TSM server so there is always a full image backup
    available. The full nightly update of the TSM disk
    image takes just few minutes on disks with 20-30 G
    of data.

    And also, the ability of the TSM server to keep deleted
    files (that is, deleted from the VMS system) for a specifed
    number of days, I think 180 days was the setup in this
    TSM environment, was a nice feature. It's justa simple
    ABS command to pull back an deleted file up to 180
    days later. With full VMS file syntax incl file-versions
    of course.

    The main problem is that you have to have the ABS client
    installed on a working system before you can access your
    backups. On the other hand, if you have more then one
    VMS system, another VMS system (with ABS) can be used
    to make a image restore of the system disk from the
    crashed system, and then moved over to the target system.
    Just remember to set it up in advance for your systems
    to access each others backups.

    Jan-Erik.

    >> Is anyone using it currently? If so, how do you like it ? Any got'chas
    >> to be aware of?
    >>
    >> currently, we're doing a weekly VMS backup to create the savesets,
    >> then FTP'g to our corporate TSM host for eventual off-site storage.
    >>
    >> We want to use the TSM on VMS to sent the savesets off-site from the
    >> ALPHA and to elimiate the FTP process. The FTP process currently take
    >> an additional 5-6 hours beyond the creating the saveset. Yes, these
    >> savesets are quite large.
    >>
    >> Thanks ! Ann

    > One of our clients in my day-to-day work uses TSM for everything and
    > they're happy with it. At the moment, everything else that we're
    > interested in on our client's behalf emails out its log files but the
    > VMS system backup doesn't which doesn't fill me with confidence.
    >
    > As ever with a situation like this, you need to be sure that you can
    > get the system back and that may mean from raw iron - no O/S, no
    > catalogue of what you've backed up or when. VMS Backup is safe
    > because you can restore it from a booted VMS CD/DVD. Nothing else
    > gives you that flexibility, whether it be disk to disk or disk to
    > tape.
    >
    > Let the buyer beware.

  4. Re: Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS

    Been using the Tivoli client ABC from Storserver for many years to
    backup my VMS systems. It works very well. The only catch is you
    need to have the software loaded on a system to be able to restore
    your system disk. You also need to be aware of your file retentiion
    on the Tivoli server. With VMS's file versions you can take up a lot
    of extra space on Tivoli.

    http://www.storsol.com/main.cfm?menu...bcoverview.cfm

  5. Re: Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) on OVMS

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk has brought this to us :
    > On 7 Jan, 21:41, "flaming...@hotmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> hi folks.
    >>
    >> We're looking at using Tivoli TSM on out ALPHA ES-45 boxes.
    >> Is anyone using it currently? If so, how do you like it ? Any got'chas
    >> to be aware of?
    >>
    >> currently, we're doing a weekly VMS backup to create the savesets,
    >> then FTP'g to our corporate TSM host for eventual off-site storage.
    >>
    >> We want to use the TSM on VMS to sent the savesets off-site from the
    >> ALPHA and to elimiate the FTP process. *The FTP process currently take
    >> an additional 5-6 hours beyond the creating the saveset. *Yes, these
    >> savesets are quite large.
    >>
    >> Thanks ! *Ann

    > One of our clients in my day-to-day work uses TSM for everything and
    > they're happy with it. At the moment, everything else that we're
    > interested in on our client's behalf emails out its log files but the
    > VMS system backup doesn't which doesn't fill me with confidence.
    >
    > As ever with a situation like this, you need to be sure that you can
    > get the system back and that may mean from raw iron - no O/S, no
    > catalogue of what you've backed up or when. VMS Backup is safe
    > because you can restore it from a booted VMS CD/DVD. Nothing else
    > gives you that flexibility, whether it be disk to disk or disk to
    > tape.
    >
    > Let the buyer beware.

    Isolated systems might indeed be a problem in that case, but if you
    happen to have more than one system and/or a SAN, then it is easy to
    have a spare system disk with the ABS client already installed, and
    boot that one in case your main system disk has been zapped; or just
    reconnect your system disk LUN to another machine and do the restore
    from there.

    Until now, we have stuck to the SLS/DCSC/ACSLS/Powderhorn combination
    to do or backups, because of this advantage of using the native VMS
    backup format. But this was an old habit, the flexibility offered by
    SANs makes that requirement obsolete now. So, with SLS not getting
    ported to IA64, I think our best bet will be to use the Symantec
    Netbackup client and send the backups to the Unix media servers...

    --
    Marc Van Dyck

+ Reply to Thread