Re: gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS) - VMS ; From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Pi=E9ronne? > To extract tar file (or compressed tar file) I use without any problem > Python which include a tarfile module > ( http://docs.python.org/lib/module-tarfile.html ) > something like > import tarfile > f=tarfile.open('foo.tgz,'r') > f.extractall() > > I ...

  1. Re: gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS)

    From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Pi=E9ronne?

    > To extract tar file (or compressed tar file) I use without any problem
    > Python which include a tarfile module
    > (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-tarfile.html)
    > something like
    > import tarfile
    > f=tarfile.open('foo.tgz,'r')
    > f.extractall()
    >
    > I succesfully extract Python, MySQL (which is fairly large) and many
    > others tools.

    The potential problems involve file names longer than 100 characters,
    files bigger than 2GB, files bigger than 8GB, symbolic links, and other
    such things, where GNU "tar" has been extended to handle cases which
    would defeat old "tar" programs, or where the underlying VMS support is
    new. An archive which is only "fairly large" might not touch any of
    these.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS)

    Steven M. Schweda a écrit :
    > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-Fran=E7ois_Pi=E9ronne?
    >
    >> To extract tar file (or compressed tar file) I use without any problem
    >> Python which include a tarfile module
    >> (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-tarfile.html)
    >> something like
    >> import tarfile
    >> f=tarfile.open('foo.tgz,'r')
    >> f.extractall()
    >>
    >> I succesfully extract Python, MySQL (which is fairly large) and many
    >> others tools.

    > The potential problems involve file names longer than 100 characters,
    > files bigger than 2GB, files bigger than 8GB, symbolic links, and other
    > such things, where GNU "tar" has been extended to handle cases which
    > would defeat old "tar" programs, or where the underlying VMS support is
    > new. An archive which is only "fairly large" might not touch any of
    > these.

    I would probably mentioned fairly complex instead of fairly large...

    I suspect that Python correctly handle these cases, pretty sure about
    long pathname and symbolic links because MySQL use these sort of
    feature. As Python is compile using 64 bits file routines extracting
    large file would probably work, but I have never try but I'm
    definitively sure that Python correctly handle file bigger than 2GB.

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

+ Reply to Thread