decnet setup problem - VMS

This is a discussion on decnet setup problem - VMS ; Hello, Can anybody help me setup decnet node on Alpha server? I try to do that with command: " set network "decnet" / manufacturer="compaq" /node="nodename" ..... etc ". After that on command "show network" everything seems ok, just like I ...

  1. decnet setup problem

    Hello,

    Can anybody help me setup decnet node on Alpha server?

    I try to do that with command: " set network "decnet" /
    manufacturer="compaq" /node="nodename" ..... etc ". After that on
    command "show network" everything seems ok, just like I want.
    Problem is that it last only till next reboot. After reboot all
    decnet values are reset to default (node = class1, address=9.9 )

    I tried also to do that with "@sys$system:net$configure.com" but it
    keeps confusing me with many options that I don't understand (domain,
    mop...). I simply need to set node name and denet address.

    It is Alpha ds-10, open vms V 7.3-1 and network type DNA V.

    Any help or advice is highly appreciated

    Thanks

  2. Re: decnet setup problem

    Kenny wrote:

    > It is Alpha ds-10, open vms V 7.3-1 and network type DNA V.
    >
    > Any help or advice is highly appreciated

    Unless you need DECNET 5 features, you are better off de-installing
    DECNET-5 and installing the real decnet (decnet phase 4). It is far
    simpler, takes up a LOT less disk blocks and system resources and is
    very easy to configure (@NETCONFIG).

  3. Re: decnet setup problem

    In article <7e5bab99-2b1c-4335-b0be-54a96c910e57@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Kenny writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anybody help me setup decnet node on Alpha server?
    >
    > I try to do that with command: " set network "decnet" /
    > manufacturer="compaq" /node="nodename" ..... etc ". After that on
    > command "show network" everything seems ok, just like I want.
    > Problem is that it last only till next reboot. After reboot all
    > decnet values are reset to default (node = class1, address=9.9 )

    That command does not setup DECnet. It sets up only the output
    of the "show network" command.

    If you configure and start DECnet to actually run, then
    sys$startup:sys$net_services_decnet.com will be run for you during
    boot and it will setup the output of the "show network" command.

    I suggest you look at the DECnet installation and configuration
    guides, then ask questions here.

  4. Re: decnet setup problem

    Kenny wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can anybody help me setup decnet node on Alpha server?
    >
    > I try to do that with command: " set network "decnet" /
    > manufacturer="compaq" /node="nodename" ..... etc ". After that on
    > command "show network" everything seems ok, just like I want.
    > Problem is that it last only till next reboot. After reboot all
    > decnet values are reset to default (node = class1, address=9.9 )
    >
    > I tried also to do that with "@sys$system:net$configure.com" but it
    > keeps confusing me with many options that I don't understand (domain,
    > mop...). I simply need to set node name and denet address.
    >
    > It is Alpha ds-10, open vms V 7.3-1 and network type DNA V.
    >
    > Any help or advice is highly appreciated

    As Bob Kohler points out, SET NETWORK does -NOT- configure DECnet! It
    only configures the output from SHOW NETWORK. This info is refereshed
    from the actual DECnet configuration at boot time. (*Sigh*!)

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread