SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard - VMS

This is a discussion on SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard - VMS ; Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes. I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being ...

  1. SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard. There was a _driver_ on
    a 3.5" floppy that needed to be installed to use the LK250. I no longer
    know where this is.

    I may have need to use this keyboard again. Does anyone here have this
    driver? IIRC, the driver worked on Weendoze 95/98 and 2K.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    > VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    > I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    > delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard. There was a _driver_ on
    > a 3.5" floppy that needed to be installed to use the LK250. I no longer
    > know where this is.

    > I may have need to use this keyboard again. Does anyone here have this
    > driver? IIRC, the driver worked on Weendoze 95/98 and 2K.

    The scan codes for the "delete" keys are the same on both, so I do not
    see why you needed a different driver for them.

    I just plug the same LK keyboards from my Alpha into the PC, and they
    just worked. The extra keys were ignored by PC applications, except by
    Powerterm, which recognized them.

    It appeared that there might have been a driver from Reflection to use
    the extra keys with their emulators. I could not find it for download
    for Windows XP.

    The differences that I can see between the current PC keyboards and the
    VMS LK keyboards is that the VMS LK keyboards have some extra keys which
    are ignored by PCs, and the VMS keyboards are missing the indicator for
    NUM-LOCK.

    I posted an article on Encompasserve about my using an LK keyboard on an
    KVM between a PC and a DS10, and listed how to map the keys.

    None of the other members of my family realized that I had put a non-PC
    keyboard on the device.

    Currently I am using a Logitech G11 keyboard on the PC. It has 18 keys
    that can be programmed on a per application to send any keystroke
    combination. So now I can have all the LK keys with any terminal emulator.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  3. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    On 2008-01-06, John E. Malmberg wrote:
    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    >> VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    >> I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    >> delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard.

    > The scan codes for the "delete" keys are the same on both, so I do not
    > see why you needed a different driver for them.

    He's talking about delete character, which is the extra key in the
    keypad.

    > It appeared that there might have been a driver from Reflection to use
    > the extra keys with their emulators. I could not find it for download
    > for Windows XP.

    http://www.laca.org/Usergroups/Fisca...yboard_XP.html

    Found by googling lk450 xp.
    --
    roger ivie
    rivie@ridgenet.net

  4. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article , "John E. Malmberg" writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    >> VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    >> I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    >> delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard. There was a _driver_ on
    >> a 3.5" floppy that needed to be installed to use the LK250. I no longer
    >> know where this is.

    >> I may have need to use this keyboard again. Does anyone here have this
    >> driver? IIRC, the driver worked on Weendoze 95/98 and 2K.

    >The scan codes for the "delete" keys are the same on both, so I do not
    >see why you needed a different driver for them.
    >
    >I just plug the same LK keyboards from my Alpha into the PC, and they
    >just worked. The extra keys were ignored by PC applications, except by
    >Powerterm, which recognized them.
    >
    >It appeared that there might have been a driver from Reflection to use
    >the extra keys with their emulators. I could not find it for download
    >for Windows XP.
    >
    >The differences that I can see between the current PC keyboards and the
    >VMS LK keyboards is that the VMS LK keyboards have some extra keys which
    >are ignored by PCs, and the VMS keyboards are missing the indicator for
    >NUM-LOCK.
    >
    >I posted an article on Encompasserve about my using an LK keyboard on an
    >KVM between a PC and a DS10, and listed how to map the keys.
    >
    >None of the other members of my family realized that I had put a non-PC
    >keyboard on the device.
    >
    >Currently I am using a Logitech G11 keyboard on the PC. It has 18 keys
    >that can be programmed on a per application to send any keystroke
    >combination. So now I can have all the LK keys with any terminal emulator.

    Well, this particular PeeCee had PowerTerm and Reflection installed. With
    PowerTerm, I would get digits when pressing the arrow keys and the 'gold'
    key always output and escape. The [,] would delete a charater in EDT but
    'gold' [,] would output [Ol. The Ol is correct but not useful
    when the 'gold' [PF1] does not first output [OP.

    I found a CD in my stash of polycarbonate with KEAterm. It has drivers
    for the LK250, LK411, LK461. I can't seem to make the LK250 function;
    however, the LK410 from my VT425 works fine.

    I'd rather the LK250 work -- freeing up my LK411 for use with the VT425.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article , Roger Ivie writes:

    >On 2008-01-06, John E. Malmberg wrote:
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>> Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    >>> VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    >>> I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    >>> delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard.

    >> The scan codes for the "delete" keys are the same on both, so I do not
    >> see why you needed a different driver for them.

    >He's talking about delete character, which is the extra key in the
    >keypad.

    Extra? There's no _extra_ delete key in my keypad. The however, functions. It's the alternate keypad that is problematic.

    >> It appeared that there might have been a driver from Reflection to use
    >> the extra keys with their emulators. I could not find it for download
    >> for Windows XP.

    >http://www.laca.org/Usergroups/Fisca...yboard_XP.html

    I have an LK250. Drivers for the LK450 do not work with it; thought,
    I wish that they would.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  6. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > Extra? There's no _extra_ delete key in my keypad. The > however, functions. It's the alternate keypad that is problematic.

    When I had to buy a Compaq keyboard for the DS10L, I couldn't find a
    french canadian with ALL-IN-1 mnemonics on the keys. So I kept a real
    LK201 with the proper keycaps nearby I could look at when I needed to
    find whcih key did what I needed.

    Now, I am on a mac and it is hopeless to get the keyboard to work
    properly. (So on an ALL-in-1 menu, I've learned to type OP for the
    gold key and then the appropriate key (K to get to previous menu instead
    of PF10).

    I've pondered about this issue and I am starting to come to the
    conclusion that I shouldn't be wasting time to get the mac keyboard to
    emulate an LK201 and I should instead simply learn to live with the mac
    keyboard mentality and get used to it.

    AKA: instead of finding the MAC to be different, I should accept that
    the MAC one is the correct one and the old LK layout is the one that is
    different.

    Even if I still vastly prefer the LK layout (especially the SELECT key),
    in the end, since there is no future for this layout, is there really a
    point in fighting to get other keyboards to emulate it ?

  7. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    > > Extra? There's no _extra_ delete key in my keypad. The > > however, functions. It's the alternate keypad that is problematic.

    > When I had to buy a Compaq keyboard for the DS10L, I couldn't find a
    > french canadian with ALL-IN-1 mnemonics on the keys. So I kept a real
    > LK201 with the proper keycaps nearby I could look at when I needed to
    > find whcih key did what I needed.
    >
    > Now, I am on a mac and it is hopeless to get the keyboard to work
    > properly. (So on an ALL-in-1 menu, I've learned to type OP for the
    > gold key and then the appropriate key (K to get to previous menu instead
    > of PF10).

    Search for a Mac version of Reflection. That might be helpful, I think.

    > I've pondered about this issue and I am starting to come to the
    > conclusion that I shouldn't be wasting time to get the mac keyboard to
    > emulate an LK201 and I should instead simply learn to live with the mac
    > keyboard mentality and get used to it.
    >
    > AKA: instead of finding the MAC to be different, I should accept that
    > the MAC one is the correct one and the old LK layout is the one that is
    > different.

    There never was a "standard" terminal keyboard, and every vendor from
    Hazeltine to Adds had their own special things.

    In PC-land, the 102-key keyboard became the more-or-less "gold" standard
    prior to the rise of W/9x and successors when the additional Windows
    keys appeared. I still use a 102-key DEC PCXAL-AA here on my Thinkpad
    and get spoiled going back to work. I also have a Honeywell 102-key that
    is very much like this one.

    It's taken me a while to get used to PC keyboards with Reflection, but
    once you get it, its not so bad. Like VAXman, I must remember that EDT's
    "DEL CHAR" key is the ALT+KP+ key.

    > Even if I still vastly prefer the LK layout (especially the SELECT key),
    > in the end, since there is no future for this layout, is there really a
    > point in fighting to get other keyboards to emulate it ?

    That depends on your terminal program and its default keyboard mapping.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  8. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    On Jan 7, 1:47 am, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > I'd rather the LK250 work -- freeing up my LK411 for use with the VT425.

    AFAIK, the LK250 predates the "standard" PC keyboard as it came withe
    the IBM AT.

    The LK250 somehow maps to the IBM XT style keyboard, using a VT220
    layout. This may make things interesting!

    Regards,

    Bart Zorn

  9. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article <47817cb8$0$4332$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >
    >> Extra? There's no _extra_ delete key in my keypad. The >> however, functions. It's the alternate keypad that is problematic.

    >When I had to buy a Compaq keyboard for the DS10L, I couldn't find a
    >french canadian with ALL-IN-1 mnemonics on the keys. So I kept a real
    >LK201 with the proper keycaps nearby I could look at when I needed to
    >find whcih key did what I needed.
    >
    >Now, I am on a mac and it is hopeless to get the keyboard to work
    >properly. (So on an ALL-in-1 menu, I've learned to type OP for the
    >gold key and then the appropriate key (K to get to previous menu instead
    >of PF10).
    >
    >I've pondered about this issue and I am starting to come to the
    >conclusion that I shouldn't be wasting time to get the mac keyboard to
    >emulate an LK201 and I should instead simply learn to live with the mac
    >keyboard mentality and get used to it.
    >
    >AKA: instead of finding the MAC to be different, I should accept that
    >the MAC one is the correct one and the old LK layout is the one that is
    >different.
    >
    >Even if I still vastly prefer the LK layout (especially the SELECT key),
    >in the end, since there is no future for this layout, is there really a
    >point in fighting to get other keyboards to emulate it ?

    I have a Powerbook and I purchased an Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard
    to use with it. It has a layout akin to the LK keyboards. I have not
    had a problem with the alternate keypads in EDT. The [PF1] (gold) key
    outputs the proper OP for me. This is one of the major reasons I
    purchased the keyboard. I do not like to use the "embedded" alternate
    keypad in the laptop keyboard. It requires toggling the F6 (num lock)
    on and off to use and, invariably, I'd forget to toggle it off before
    typing some other character. When that would happen, my session seems
    to get horked.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  10. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article <4781892B.F317A192@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:

    >JF Mezei wrote:
    >>
    >> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>
    >> > Extra? There's no _extra_ delete key in my keypad. The >> > however, functions. It's the alternate keypad that is problematic.

    >> When I had to buy a Compaq keyboard for the DS10L, I couldn't find a
    >> french canadian with ALL-IN-1 mnemonics on the keys. So I kept a real
    >> LK201 with the proper keycaps nearby I could look at when I needed to
    >> find whcih key did what I needed.
    >>
    >> Now, I am on a mac and it is hopeless to get the keyboard to work
    >> properly. (So on an ALL-in-1 menu, I've learned to type OP for the
    >> gold key and then the appropriate key (K to get to previous menu instead
    >> of PF10).

    >Search for a Mac version of Reflection. That might be helpful, I think.
    >
    >> I've pondered about this issue and I am starting to come to the
    >> conclusion that I shouldn't be wasting time to get the mac keyboard to
    >> emulate an LK201 and I should instead simply learn to live with the mac
    >> keyboard mentality and get used to it.
    >>
    >> AKA: instead of finding the MAC to be different, I should accept that
    >> the MAC one is the correct one and the old LK layout is the one that is
    >> different.

    >There never was a "standard" terminal keyboard, and every vendor from
    >Hazeltine to Adds had their own special things.
    >
    >In PC-land, the 102-key keyboard became the more-or-less "gold" standard
    >prior to the rise of W/9x and successors when the additional Windows
    >keys appeared. I still use a 102-key DEC PCXAL-AA here on my Thinkpad
    >and get spoiled going back to work. I also have a Honeywell 102-key that
    >is very much like this one.
    >
    >It's taken me a while to get used to PC keyboards with Reflection, but
    >once you get it, its not so bad. Like VAXman, I must remember that EDT's
    >"DEL CHAR" key is the ALT+KP+ key.

    I didn't know that. I don't like the layout nor the feel of the IBM style
    keyboards; thus, I have not used many of them not used them for any length
    of time.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  11. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    > Several years ago, I did a stint on-site for a company that had no real
    > VT terminals. I had to use an emulator on one of those 'Redmond' boxes.
    > I obtained an LK250 keyboard because it couldn't stand not being able to
    > delete character in EDT on the PeeCee keyboard. There was a _driver_ on
    > a 3.5" floppy that needed to be installed to use the LK250. I no longer
    > know where this is.

    I do well by plugging in a Targus PAUK10 USB keypad next to my Wintel
    laptop. It needs no driver, and I use it for EDT, EVE, and DEBUG.
    I got mine at Target, a couple ailes down from the Nintendo games.

    Seems to work well with both PuTTY and VTSTAR.

  12. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article <97ogj.6$7b2.0@newsfe12.lga>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    > I have a Powerbook and I purchased an Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard
    > to use with it. It has a layout akin to the LK keyboards. I have not
    > had a problem with the alternate keypads in EDT. The [PF1] (gold) key
    > outputs the proper OP for me. This is one of the major reasons I
    > purchased the keyboard. I do not like to use the "embedded" alternate
    > keypad in the laptop keyboard. It requires toggling the F6 (num lock)
    > on and off to use and, invariably, I'd forget to toggle it off before
    > typing some other character. When that would happen, my session seems
    > to get horked.

    Exactly why I got the Targus USB keypad. My Dell laptop would do the
    embedded alternate keypad if I held Fn and pressed the key, I lived
    with that. My IBM (Lenevo) requires Fn+NmLk (on the ScrLck, not the
    keypad) to shift into the embedded alternate and Fn+NmLk again to get
    out.

  13. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > I do well by plugging in a Targus PAUK10 USB keypad next to my Wintel
    > laptop. It needs no driver, and I use it for EDT, EVE, and DEBUG.
    > I got mine at Target, a couple ailes down from the Nintendo games.

    > Seems to work well with both PuTTY and VTSTAR.

    I coincidentally bought the same thing yesterday for my laptop.
    So far no real luck with PuTTY, the Num Lock doesn't act as PF1 although
    Num Lock on a standard USB keyboard does act as PF1.

    (it would also be nice if the BS/-/+ keys on the right side acted as the
    PF5/KP-/KP, on a VMS LKxxx keyboard)

    Did you have to tweak anything?

  14. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    wrote:

    > have a Powerbook and I purchased an Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard
    > to use with it. It has a layout akin to the LK keyboards. I have not
    > had a problem with the alternate keypads in EDT. The [PF1] (gold) key
    > outputs the proper OP for me. This is one of the major reasons I
    > purchased the keyboard. I do not like to use the "embedded" alternate
    > keypad in the laptop keyboard. It requires toggling the F6 (num lock)
    > on and off to use and, invariably, I'd forget to toggle it off before
    > typing some other character. When that would happen, my session seems
    > to get horked.

    FWIW I was looking at the new slimline Mac keyboards this weekend and
    they appear to have a few extra function keys - up to F19 IIRC. These
    are nearly twice the price of the older white ones (looking at the USB
    models here), but the white ones are not very tolerant of general dust
    and liquids, so the extra cost could be worth it in the long run.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  15. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article , "P. Sture" writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >FWIW I was looking at the new slimline Mac keyboards this weekend and
    >they appear to have a few extra function keys - up to F19 IIRC. These
    >are nearly twice the price of the older white ones (looking at the USB
    >models here), but the white ones are not very tolerant of general dust
    >and liquids, so the extra cost could be worth it in the long run.

    Mine has F1-F16... F17 through F20 are decrease volume, increase volume,
    mute and eject. I suppose Apple decided the volume controls could go.
    Nope, I just looked at the Apple site for a picture of the new keyboard.
    Several of the function keys are labeled with an icon and F##. It's not
    clear how to get the F## feature over the icon feature. I'd imagine the
    shift and [Option/Alt] key in conjunction with the F## key.

    I like the idea of the new keyboard because it is much lighter than the
    current keyboard. I was dismayed when the wireless version was released
    without the alternate keypads though. I'm looking for ways to NOT have
    to travel with excess cables in the travel case and a wireless keyboard
    is less cable. The USB (Use System Battery) keyboard will also require
    power from the Powerbook meaning less working time on battery. At least
    most of the new jet liners have power in the seats and I have a special
    power adapter for use in the car.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > In article <4781892B.F317A192@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >It's taken me a while to get used to PC keyboards with Reflection, but
    > >once you get it, its not so bad. Like VAXman, I must remember that EDT's
    > >"DEL CHAR" key is the ALT+KP+ key.

    > I didn't know that. I don't like the layout nor the feel of the IBM style
    > keyboards; thus, I have not used many of them not used them for any length
    > of time.

    In most newer Reflection versions, Setup -> Keyboard Map displays
    graphic representations of the PC and LK keyboards. Use your mouse to
    "press" an LK key and see the PC equivalent. Conversely, click ALT on
    the PC keybaord graphic, and notice how the highlights change. Now,
    Click the KP+ key on the PC keyboard graphic and see which LK key it
    corresponds to,

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  17. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    wrote:

    > In article , "P. Sture"
    > writes:
    > >{...snip...}
    > >FWIW I was looking at the new slimline Mac keyboards this weekend and
    > >they appear to have a few extra function keys - up to F19 IIRC. These
    > >are nearly twice the price of the older white ones (looking at the USB
    > >models here), but the white ones are not very tolerant of general dust
    > >and liquids, so the extra cost could be worth it in the long run.

    > Mine has F1-F16... F17 through F20 are decrease volume, increase volume,
    > mute and eject. I suppose Apple decided the volume controls could go.
    > Nope, I just looked at the Apple site for a picture of the new keyboard.
    > Several of the function keys are labeled with an icon and F##. It's not
    > clear how to get the F## feature over the icon feature. I'd imagine the
    > shift and [Option/Alt] key in conjunction with the F## key.

    I had another look today, and see that they've moved the eject ad volume
    keys over to F13 and the left of it. Further Fkeys to the left have what
    look like video forward and reverse symbols. I'd guess that you are
    correct about something akin to [Option/Alt].

    > I like the idea of the new keyboard because it is much lighter than the
    > current keyboard. I was dismayed when the wireless version was released
    > without the alternate keypads though. I'm looking for ways to NOT have
    > to travel with excess cables in the travel case and a wireless keyboard
    > is less cable. The USB (Use System Battery) keyboard will also require
    > power from the Powerbook meaning less working time on battery. At least
    > most of the new jet liners have power in the seats and I have a special
    > power adapter for use in the car.

    I had a look at the wireless version too. Nicely compact, but I too
    would miss the alternate keypad.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  18. Re: SOT: (somewhat off topic) driver for LK250 keyboard

    In article , moroney@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:

    > Did you have to tweak anything?

    I haven't tweaked anything. I was, however, forward looking when I
    defined by TPU keypad. When I started with the first release of TPU,
    it didn't have a prwritten EDT keypad, and I'd seen early PC keyboards
    where NumLock was actually a throwable switch instead of a momentary
    contact switch interpreted by the driver.

    In those first releases TPU's Gold key was known as Shift, and I
    defined Shift to be KP4. This helps a lot. When I had defined
    enough keys I to use up two keypad layouts, I decided Shift-Shift
    would get me to a third keypad layout instead of doing a DEBUG-like
    Blue key.

    But usually when I'm running something that does use PF1 I can get
    a couple strokes on NumLock to mean the same thing.

    Now if I could only get that 000 key to do something.

+ Reply to Thread