Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ? - VMS

This is a discussion on Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ? - VMS ; Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X to read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ? I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format. I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much ...

  1. Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X to
    read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ?

    I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format.

    I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much with those files, bu
    it could serve then via NFS or FTP to those who still need access to them.

  2. Re: Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X to
    > read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ?
    >
    > I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format.
    >
    > I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much with those files, bu
    > it could serve then via NFS or FTP to those who still need access to them.

    The ODS-2 specification is available. You could write your own if noone
    else has.

  3. Re: Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    In article <478140DE.1010501@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X to
    >> read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ?
    >>
    >> I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format.
    >>
    >> I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much with those files, bu
    >> it could serve then via NFS or FTP to those who still need access to them.

    >The ODS-2 specification is available. You could write your own if noone
    >else has.

    The online documentation CDs have been available in bookreader format on
    Windows readable CDs for years - together with a Microsoft Windows version of
    the bookreader program.

    Later releases came on ISO 9660 level 2 (ODL-ISO) compliant CD-ROM that could
    be read from both Microsoft Windows and HP OpenVMS platforms and contained
    newer material in HTML and PDF format as well as archived material in
    bookreader format.

    I have one such CD sitting in front of me here :-

    HP OpenVMS layered Products Online Documentation Library for HP OpenVMS Alpha
    Servers and Microsoft Windows Platforms
    September 2006

    If you are stuck with ODS-2 format CDs then you would be better off serving
    them from a VMS system but if you must do it from the Mac then you could see
    whether you could port any of the ODS2 tools from

    http://www.vms2linux.de/ods2.html to OS-X

    unfortunately according to http://www.vms2linux.de/ods2fs.html only the
    binaries are currently available for download for linux version of the ods2
    filesystem so you will probably need to mail the address at the bottom of that
    page and see whether you could get the sources from the author.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

  4. Re: Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X
    > to read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ?
    >
    > I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format.
    >
    > I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much with those files,
    > bu it could serve then via NFS or FTP to those who still need access
    > to them.

    JF
    The ODS2 reader from Hunter's website includes sources. It's set up
    primarily for Dos/Windows and requires ASPI support from the OS (IIRC).
    How easy it would be to port to Mac, I've no idea but it could provide
    another starting point/point of view to the Linux one you've been
    referred to.

    Cheers - Dave

    --

  5. Re: Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    In article <47813bd0$0$28239$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > Does anyone know if there are plug-ins/whatever that would allow OS-X to
    > read the VMS documentation and layered products CDs ?
    >
    > I assume those CDs are in ODS-2 format.
    >
    > I realise that the MAC wouldn't be able to do much with those files, bu
    > it could serve then via NFS or FTP to those who still need access to them.

    The ODS-2 reader that lurks on the internet has been used under
    OS X. I've seen this recently, but I don't recall where.

    Some of the documentation was available on CDs that Windows can read,
    with a Windows application to read it. OS X won't be able to run
    that application, but it should be able to read the CDs and the
    documents tend to be in common formats now. Tracking the document
    name to file name you'll probably have to do by inspecting the
    library (.odl) files.

  6. Re: Support for ODS-2 disks on OS-X ?

    In article <9eo6VZ2ERak9@eisner.encompasserve.org>, koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > Some of the documentation was available on CDs that Windows can read,
    > with a Windows application to read it. OS X won't be able to run
    > that application, but it should be able to read the CDs and the
    > documents tend to be in common formats now.

    MacOS 9.1 cannot.

+ Reply to Thread