dial up modem - VMS

This is a discussion on dial up modem - VMS ; I need help ! I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3 ...

  1. dial up modem

    I need help !
    I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software
    to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my
    alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3
    and use as a vt teminal

    Thank you for any help
    Neil

  2. Re: dial up modem

    rexdale1050@yahoo.ca wrote:
    > I need help !
    > I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software
    > to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my
    > alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3
    > and use as a vt teminal
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    > Neil

    You need some sort of software on your PC to do that. I think Windows
    has some sort of a dumb terminal built in but I can't recall what it's
    called.

    For a VT100, or better, terminal emulation, you'll need something like
    Reflection 2 or Reflection 4 (graphics terminal). Even terminal
    emulation software is not totally satisfactory since the standard PC
    KeyPad is one key short of a VT100 keypad. Once upon a time you could
    get the LK250 or LK450 keyboard but those were never plentiful and are
    now quire rare! You could try e-Bay but don't get your hopes up. . . .

  3. Re: dial up modem

    > > I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software
    > > to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my
    > > alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3
    > > and use as a vt teminal

    > You need some sort of software on your PC to do that. I think Windows
    > has some sort of a dumb terminal built in but I can't recall what it's
    > called.

    Hyperterminal. It's a really lousy implementation, though.

    I'd recommend you Google "PUTTY download". The first link gets you to a page from which
    you can download a pretty good (and free!) terminal emulation program. The latest
    version includes serial lines, which you'll need to control your modem.
    --Stan Quayle
    Quayle Consulting Inc.

    ----------
    Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX
    8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH 43147 USA
    stan-at-stanq-dot-com http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
    "OpenVMS, when downtime is not an option"

  4. Re: dial up modem

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in

    > rexdale1050@yahoo.ca wrote:
    >> I need help !
    >> I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software
    >> to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my
    >> alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3
    >> and use as a vt teminal
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help
    >> Neil

    > You need some sort of software on your PC to do that. I think Windows
    > has some sort of a dumb terminal built in but I can't recall what it's
    > called.
    >
    > For a VT100, or better, terminal emulation, you'll need something like
    > Reflection 2 or Reflection 4 (graphics terminal). Even terminal
    > emulation software is not totally satisfactory since the standard PC
    > KeyPad is one key short of a VT100 keypad. Once upon a time you could
    > get the LK250 or LK450 keyboard but those were never plentiful and are
    > now quire rare! You could try e-Bay but don't get your hopes up. . . .

    I use an LK46W-A2 for my keyboard. It works well.
    I think it's Hoff who mentions Multia VT320e as being on one of the
    freeware distributions, right? I don't know how it does on the torture
    test, but it does have features that I'm conditioned to having, which are
    lacking in the VT100. I do miss some minor things, like having the cursor
    be an underscore, rather than a block.

    Tad

  5. Re: dial up modem

    In article <4780C0D5.4609.E452051@infovax.stanq.com>,
    "Stanley F. Quayle" wrote:

    > Hyperterminal. It's a really lousy implementation, though.

    Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    superior to the version which comes with Windows.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  6. Re: dial up modem

    On Jan 8, 4:02 am, "P. Sture" wrote:
    > In article <4780C0D5.4609.E452...@infovax.stanq.com>,
    > "Stanley F. Quayle" wrote:
    >
    > > Hyperterminal. It's a really lousy implementation, though.

    > Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    > superior to the version which comes with Windows.

    And wasn't that free at one time? I remember upgrading the one that
    came with Windows.
    After reloading Windows recently, and realizing how crappy the default
    Hyperterm is, I went to their website. They want $$$ now...

    I found my version of Reflections. One thing I like about that
    software (at least the version I have) is that it can reinstall itself
    from a copy of the original folder.

    Doesn't do me much good though, as I don't have access to Alpha/Vax
    here, only AS/400...

    (talk about crap, that "Personal Communications" that IBM supplies is
    crap - craps out with memory violations ALL the time on XP...)

  7. Re: dial up modem

    In article
    <4ef6029b-f799-4a05-a7ac-f5cc88098557@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
    "winston19842005@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > On Jan 8, 4:02 am, "P. Sture" wrote:
    > > In article <4780C0D5.4609.E452...@infovax.stanq.com>,
    > > "Stanley F. Quayle" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hyperterminal. It's a really lousy implementation, though.

    > > Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    > > superior to the version which comes with Windows.
    > >

    > And wasn't that free at one time? I remember upgrading the one that
    > came with Windows.
    >
    > After reloading Windows recently, and realizing how crappy the default
    > Hyperterm is, I went to their website. They want $$$ now...

    Ah, I see they now do. Pity.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  8. Re: dial up modem

    P. Sture wrote:
    > "winston19842005@yahoo.com" wrote:
    >> P. Sture wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    >>> superior to the version which comes with Windows.

    >> And wasn't that free at one time? I remember upgrading the one that
    >> came with Windows.
    >>
    >> After reloading Windows recently, and realizing how crappy the default
    >> Hyperterm is, I went to their website. They want $$$ now...

    > Ah, I see they now do. Pity.

    Googling for "Hyperterm Personal Edition", I get a link to a download
    page at PC Welt (a german computer magazine):
    http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/serve...ion/dfue/6555/

    There you can download version 6.3 (build date 13-Jun-2001) which may
    not be the latest and greatest, but is free for personal use and seems
    to work under WinXP.

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  9. Re: dial up modem

    In article ,
    "Martin Vorlaender" wrote:

    > Googling for "Hyperterm Personal Edition", I get a link to a download
    > page at PC Welt (a german computer magazine):
    > http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/serve...ion/dfue/6555/
    >
    > There you can download version 6.3 (build date 13-Jun-2001) which may
    > not be the latest and greatest, but is free for personal use and seems
    > to work under WinXP.

    Which link in fact offers an alternate download page at Hilgraeve, which
    still works :-)

    http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  10. Re: dial up modem

    In article <4ef6029b-f799-4a05-a7ac-f5cc88098557@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, "winston19842005@yahoo.com" writes:
    > On Jan 8, 4:02 am, "P. Sture" wrote:
    >> In article <4780C0D5.4609.E452...@infovax.stanq.com>,
    >> "Stanley F. Quayle" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hyperterminal. It's a really lousy implementation, though.

    >> Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    >> superior to the version which comes with Windows.
    >>

    > And wasn't that free at one time? I remember upgrading the one that
    > came with Windows.

    It was free for personal use. Lots of folks thought that included
    thier job.

  11. Re: dial up modem

    In article ,
    koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote:

    > In article
    > <4ef6029b-f799-4a05-a7ac-f5cc88098557@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
    > "winston19842005@yahoo.com" writes:
    > > On Jan 8, 4:02 am, "P. Sture" wrote:

    > >> Last time I looked, Hilgraeve do a Personal Edition which is far
    > >> superior to the version which comes with Windows.
    > >>

    > > And wasn't that free at one time? I remember upgrading the one that
    > > came with Windows.

    > It was free for personal use. Lots of folks thought that included
    > thier job.

    I only used it for home/hobbyist use myself, but I take your point.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  12. Re: dial up modem

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    > rexdale1050@yahoo.ca wrote:
    >> I need help !
    >> I would like like to use command prompt on windows xp software
    >> to dial up using atdt modem commands to connect with my modem on my
    >> alpha server ds - 10 running vms 7 . 3
    >> and use as a vt teminal
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help
    >> Neil

    > You need some sort of software on your PC to do that. I think Windows has
    > some sort of a dumb terminal built in but I can't recall what it's called.
    >
    > For a VT100, or better, terminal emulation, you'll need something like
    > Reflection 2 or Reflection 4 (graphics terminal). Even terminal emulation
    > software is not totally satisfactory since the standard PC KeyPad is one
    > key short of a VT100 keypad. Once upon a time you could get the LK250 or
    > LK450 keyboard but those were never plentiful and are now quire rare! You
    > could try e-Bay but don't get your hopes up. . . .

    Or TN2000 by Ipswitch.....

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread