OpenVMS Alpha CDs - VMS

This is a discussion on OpenVMS Alpha CDs - VMS ; I just picked up an AlphaStation 250 and would now like to install VMS, but unfortunately I don't have the Alpha install CDs. The hobbyist web site makes it sound like they won't have Alpha kits until May, so even ...

  1. OpenVMS Alpha CDs

    I just picked up an AlphaStation 250 and would now like to install
    VMS, but unfortunately I don't have the Alpha install CDs. The
    hobbyist web site makes it sound like they won't have Alpha kits until
    May, so even if I was to order one of those I'd be stuck sitting on
    this box for months.
    Does someone mind letting me download an install image for OpenVMS
    Alpha? I guess any version would be fine, but the more recent the
    better.

    John

  2. Re: OpenVMS Alpha CDs

    John wrote:

    > Does someone mind letting me download an install image for OpenVMS
    > Alpha? I guess any version would be fine, but the more recent the
    > better.

    I mind ! I Mind !

    Contact me via email (remove the spamnot) for details on how this can be
    done.

  3. Re: OpenVMS Alpha CDs

    On Jan 6, 1:41*am, John wrote:
    > I just picked up an AlphaStation 250 and would now like to install
    > VMS, but unfortunately I don't have the Alpha install CDs. The
    > hobbyist web site makes it sound like they won't have Alpha kits until
    > May, so even if I was to order one of those I'd be stuck sitting on
    > this box for months.
    > Does someone mind letting me download an install image for OpenVMS
    > Alpha? I guess any version would be fine, but the more recent the
    > better.
    >
    > John

    Well, I found VMS 8.3 for Alpha, but now it seems I must update my
    firmware, but I don't have any floppies and the machine is not yet on
    the network (I lack the cables). Can someone point me to the Firmware
    CD version 6.8? I can't seem to find it on the HP sites.
    Thanks

    John

  4. Re: OpenVMS Alpha CDs

    John wrote:
    > On Jan 6, 1:41 am, John wrote:
    >> I just picked up an AlphaStation 250 and would now like to install
    >> VMS, but unfortunately I don't have the Alpha install CDs. The
    >> hobbyist web site makes it sound like they won't have Alpha kits until
    >> May, so even if I was to order one of those I'd be stuck sitting on
    >> this box for months.
    >> Does someone mind letting me download an install image for OpenVMS
    >> Alpha? I guess any version would be fine, but the more recent the
    >> better.
    >>
    >> John

    > Well, I found VMS 8.3 for Alpha, but now it seems I must update my
    > firmware, but I don't have any floppies and the machine is not yet on
    > the network (I lack the cables). Can someone point me to the Firmware
    > CD version 6.8? I can't seem to find it on the HP sites.
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Have a look at:

    HTH,

    Jeff

  5. Re: OpenVMS Alpha CDs

    On Jan 6, 4:59 pm, Jeff Campbell wrote:
    > John wrote:
    > > On Jan 6, 1:41 am, John wrote:
    > >> I just picked up an AlphaStation 250 and would now like to install
    > >> VMS, but unfortunately I don't have the Alpha install CDs. The
    > >> hobbyist web site makes it sound like they won't have Alpha kits until
    > >> May, so even if I was to order one of those I'd be stuck sitting on
    > >> this box for months.
    > >> Does someone mind letting me download an install image for OpenVMS
    > >> Alpha? I guess any version would be fine, but the more recent the
    > >> better.

    > >> John

    > > Well, I found VMS 8.3 for Alpha, but now it seems I must update my
    > > firmware, but I don't have any floppies and the machine is not yet on
    > > the network (I lack the cables). Can someone point me to the Firmware
    > > CD version 6.8? I can't seem to find it on the HP sites.
    > > Thanks

    > > John

    > Have a look at:
    >

    > HTH,
    >
    > Jeff

    Well, like I said, I don't have any floppies and the machine is not on
    a network, so none of the methods on that page would work. However, I
    found an old firmware CD that had the correct version, so now I'm
    booting VMS!

    John

+ Reply to Thread