Re: Porting Subversion to VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Porting Subversion to VMS - VMS ; From: "John E. Malmberg" > I am currently working on getting GNU TAR 1.19 to run on VMS as I am > starting to find tarballs that the existing VMSTAR and GNUTAR can not > handle. Unofficial, and not seriously ...

  1. Re: Porting Subversion to VMS

    From: "John E. Malmberg"

    > I am currently working on getting GNU TAR 1.19 to run on VMS as I am
    > starting to find tarballs that the existing VMSTAR and GNUTAR can not
    > handle.

    Unofficial, and not seriously tested, but potentially useful:

    http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre2_src.zip

    I'd build it using something like "MMS LARGE=1". It's intended to deal
    with GNU-style long names, symlinks, and large files. No bets, but feel
    free to wake me when it breaks down. (There's also a "pre1" edition in
    the same place which uses older builders. Not much difference in the
    actual code, though.)

    GNU "tar" 1.19 seems to have build problems on some UNIX systems.
    I'd stick with 1.18 (or wait for 1.20), unless I had a good reason to
    use 1.19.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS)

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: "John E. Malmberg"
    >
    >> I am currently working on getting GNU TAR 1.19 to run on VMS as I am
    >> starting to find tarballs that the existing VMSTAR and GNUTAR can not
    >> handle.

    > Unofficial, and not seriously tested, but potentially useful:
    >
    > http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre2_src.zip
    >
    > I'd build it using something like "MMS LARGE=1". It's intended to deal
    > with GNU-style long names, symlinks, and large files. No bets, but feel
    > free to wake me when it breaks down. (There's also a "pre1" edition in
    > the same place which uses older builders. Not much difference in the
    > actual code, though.)
    >
    > GNU "tar" 1.19 seems to have build problems on some UNIX systems.
    > I'd stick with 1.18 (or wait for 1.20), unless I had a good reason to
    > use 1.19.

    Since I do not have a working gnu tar at the moment, I have nothing to
    fall back to.

    And 1.19 is building for me now on VMS without the VMS specific stuff
    for fork(), pipe(), and lib$initialize special sauce, I have no reason
    to fall back to 1.19. I plan to add the same code that I used in bash.

    Once a current gnutar is fully functional on VMS, I would like to see
    what could be done to put a wrapper around it to produce VMSTAR
    functionality.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  3. Re: gnutar was (Re: Porting Subversion to VMS)

    John E. Malmberg wrote:
    > Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    >> From: "John E. Malmberg"
    >>
    >>> I am currently working on getting GNU TAR 1.19 to run on VMS as I am
    >>> starting to find tarballs that the existing VMSTAR and GNUTAR can not
    >>> handle.

    >> Unofficial, and not seriously tested, but potentially useful:
    >>
    >> http://antinode.org/ftp/vmstar/v3r5_pre2_src.zip
    >>
    >> I'd build it using something like "MMS LARGE=1". It's intended to deal
    >> with GNU-style long names, symlinks, and large files. No bets, but feel
    >> free to wake me when it breaks down. (There's also a "pre1" edition in
    >> the same place which uses older builders. Not much difference in the
    >> actual code, though.)
    >>
    >> GNU "tar" 1.19 seems to have build problems on some UNIX systems.
    >> I'd stick with 1.18 (or wait for 1.20), unless I had a good reason to
    >> use 1.19.

    > Since I do not have a working gnu tar at the moment, I have nothing to
    > fall back to.

    To extract tar file (or compressed tar file) I use without any problem
    Python which include a tarfile module
    (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-tarfile.html)
    something like
    import tarfile
    f=tarfile.open('foo.tgz,'r')
    f.extractall()

    I succesfully extract Python, MySQL (which is fairly large) and many
    others tools.

    > And 1.19 is building for me now on VMS without the VMS specific stuff
    > for fork(), pipe(), and lib$initialize special sauce, I have no reason
    > to fall back to 1.19. I plan to add the same code that I used in bash.
    >
    > Once a current gnutar is fully functional on VMS, I would like to see
    > what could be done to put a wrapper around it to produce VMSTAR
    > functionality.
    >
    > -John
    > wb8tyw@qsl.network
    > Personal Opinion Only