Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54 - VMS ; From: "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" > I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/ > DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never > used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, ...

  1. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    From: "tomarsin2015@comcast.net"

    > I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/
    > DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never
    > used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a guide
    > on how to use VMStailor? I dont really know what is safe to remove or
    > keep.

    How'd you get so much free space? Mine has two RD54 disks with VMS
    V5.5-2, and I'm pretty sure that it has less free space. (Must be the
    compilers and the big page file(s)?) I never tailored off anything, but
    then I hate throwing anything away. Maybe you need to install Motif.

    > Also if anybody wants to take this bad boy off my hands, make me a
    > offer.

    A working RD54 should be good for a few hundred dollars on eBay. I'm
    always looking for a (free/cheap) 12MB memory board for mine. With only
    6MB, it's hard to avoid over-using the slow disks.

    From: "Richard B. Gilbert"

    > [...] It was, if not the slowest
    > VAX ever made, quite close to it! [...]

    I'd expect it to beat any 7XX, where XX < 80, unless you make it use
    the disk for much. "http://antinode.org/dec/vs2000_spec.html":

    MICROVAX 2000 SPECIFICATIONS

    PARAMETER VALUE rev date:7/6/89
    Relative CPU performance (VAX780 = 1.0) > .9
    [...]

    The thing's not even twenty years old yet. How slow can it be?

    > Unless you have the expansion box you can't connect a tape drive to it
    > so it's a little difficult to back it up.

    Make a cable? The disk cabling is a bit complicated
    ("http://antinode.org/dec/disk_cable.html"), but, as I recall, the
    (near-SCSI) tape cable is simple enough. (How many 1.2MB floppies would
    it take to do a 159MB disk? Some people are so quick to find problems.)

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    Steven M. Schweda wrote:
    > From: "tomarsin2015@comcast.net"
    >
    >>I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/
    >>DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never
    >>used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a guide
    >>on how to use VMStailor? I dont really know what is safe to remove or
    >>keep.

    > How'd you get so much free space? Mine has two RD54 disks with VMS
    > V5.5-2, and I'm pretty sure that it has less free space. (Must be the
    > compilers and the big page file(s)?) I never tailored off anything, but
    > then I hate throwing anything away. Maybe you need to install Motif.
    >

    >>Also if anybody wants to take this bad boy off my hands, make me a
    >>offer.

    > A working RD54 should be good for a few hundred dollars on eBay. I'm
    > always looking for a (free/cheap) 12MB memory board for mine. With only
    > 6MB, it's hard to avoid over-using the slow disks.
    >
    > From: "Richard B. Gilbert"
    >
    >>[...] It was, if not the slowest
    >>VAX ever made, quite close to it! [...]

    > I'd expect it to beat any 7XX, where XX < 80, unless you make it use
    > the disk for much. "http://antinode.org/dec/vs2000_spec.html":
    >
    > MICROVAX 2000 SPECIFICATIONS
    >
    > PARAMETER VALUE rev date:7/6/89
    > ================================================== ============================
    > Relative CPU performance (VAX780 = 1.0) > .9
    > [...]
    >

    > The thing's not even twenty years old yet. How slow can it be?
    >

    >>Unless you have the expansion box you can't connect a tape drive to it
    >>so it's a little difficult to back it up.

    > Make a cable? The disk cabling is a bit complicated
    > ("http://antinode.org/dec/disk_cable.html"), but, as I recall, the
    > (near-SCSI) tape cable is simple enough. (How many 1.2MB floppies would
    > it take to do a 159MB disk? Some people are so quick to find problems.)

    > Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    > 382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    > Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

    All right! Only the VAX 11/750, 11/730, 11/725 and, perhaps, the
    MicroVAX I were slower. It's pretty sorry company to be in! I had a
    number of VAXen at Princeton including: two VAXstation 2000, VAX 11/750,
    MicroVAX II, VAX 8200, VAXSstation 3100, VAXStation II, etc. I can't
    really say I miss them. They were great in their day but their day is
    long gone! The intervening twenty-three years have spoiled me rotten;
    I've grown used to getting my prompt back before I can go to the
    refrigirator for a fresh Coke!

  3. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    A working antique is worth a lot more than just an antique used as a
    door stop.

    In terms of the original question:

    -compress libraries first.
    -remove programming support (I think this is now the "optional" stuff.

    To deal with decwindows, it is DECW$TAILOR you need to use.

  4. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    In article <47804118.3050705@comcast.net>, "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >{...snip..}
    >
    >All right! Only the VAX 11/750, 11/730, 11/725 and, perhaps, the
    >MicroVAX I were slower. It's pretty sorry company to be in! I had a
    >number of VAXen at Princeton including: two VAXstation 2000, VAX 11/750,
    >MicroVAX II, VAX 8200, VAXSstation 3100, VAXStation II, etc. I can't
    >really say I miss them. They were great in their day but their day is
    >long gone! The intervening twenty-three years have spoiled me rotten;
    >I've grown used to getting my prompt back before I can go to the
    >refrigirator for a fresh Coke!

    Lay off that Coke stuff. It's bad!

    Just how much *are* RD54s going for on ebay?

    As for response, while computers in the past 20 years were speeding up
    according to Moore's Law, the software they run was bloating at a rate
    proportional to 1/(Moore's Law). In the case of Micro$oft, that would
    be more like 1/[(Moore's Law)**n]

    There are certain tasks that I can perform _much_ faster on an old VAX
    than I can on the newest GUI slicked out apps on the latest processors.
    If the apps are on a Micro$oft box, don't forget to factor in mandatory
    reboots when configuring and supplying input to said apps. {1}

    {1} No less than 9 reboots over NYD to change some TCP/IP and security
    settings on a Weendoze box. I don't see why Weendoze forces a reboot
    for a TCP/IP setting but at least let me batch all of the changes and
    reboot only once.

    Greetings Professor Faulken...
    Weendoze! The only winning move is not to plug-and-pray.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

+ Reply to Thread