VMS 7.3 and a RD54 - VMS

This is a discussion on VMS 7.3 and a RD54 - VMS ; Hello I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/ DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a ...

  1. VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    Hello
    I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/
    DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never
    used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a guide
    on how to use VMStailor? I dont really know what is safe to remove or
    keep.
    Also if anybody wants to take this bad boy off my hands, make me a
    offer.
    tks
    phillip

  2. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    tomarsin2015@comcast.net wrote:
    > Hello
    > I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/
    > DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never
    > used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a guide
    > on how to use VMStailor? I dont really know what is safe to remove or
    > keep.
    > Also if anybody wants to take this bad boy off my hands, make me a
    > offer.
    > tks
    > phillip

    At this point the VAXStation 2000 is more valuable as an antique
    doorstop or paperweight than as a computer! It was, if not the slowest
    VAX ever made, quite close to it! It had "almost SCSI" for I/O. It
    worked but that was about all that could be said for it. I had one of
    these beasts for a while while I was working at Princeton University.

    Unless you have the expansion box you can't connect a tape drive to it
    so it's a little difficult to back it up.

  3. Re: VMS 7.3 and a RD54

    In article
    ,
    "tomarsin2015@comcast.net" wrote:

    > Hello
    > I picked up a VAXstation/server 2000 with a RD54. After loading 7.3/
    > DECwindows/UCX 4.2 I am down to less then 80000 blocks free. I never
    > used VMStailor to free up space on a system disk, so is there a guide
    > on how to use VMStailor? I dont really know what is safe to remove or
    > keep.
    > Also if anybody wants to take this bad boy off my hands, make me a
    > offer.
    > tks
    > phillip

    When I had one I took DECwindows off it to free up space. I did this
    manually as doing so freed up an appreciable amount more space than
    VMStailor did. WIth the amount of RAM my beasty had, there was not much
    left to run apps once DECwindows was loaded.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks: