RE: Samba Gains Legal Access to Microsoft Network File Protocols - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Samba Gains Legal Access to Microsoft Network File Protocols - VMS ; > -----Original Message----- > From: Richard Maher [mailto:maher_rj@hotspamnotmail.com] > Sent: January 4, 2008 11:06 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Samba Gains Legal Access to Microsoft Network File > Protocols > > Hi, > > > Key skills VMS ...

  1. RE: Samba Gains Legal Access to Microsoft Network File Protocols

    Hey, different strokes for different folks.

    Cobol was around long before I started in the industry and will certainly
    continue to be a major player long after I have retired.

    Same goes for many of the other 3GL's. Bottom line is that many Cust's
    have way to much invested in business logic written in these traditional
    languages to do any major conversions.

    Reference the following article: (a bit dated, but still applicable today)

    Is COBOL the 18-Wheeler of the Web?

    Extracts:
    "If you're looking for a hot combination of highly employable skills,
    consider writing code to provide Web services--in COBOL."

    "It takes a while to refill the pipeline of critical skills, after we
    notice that it's running dry. If we're going to need people in, say,
    2008 who have current knowledge of the Internet and the Web, practiced
    skills in writing COBOL code that can use those network resources, and
    five to 10 years of experience in leading a development team, now is
    not too soon to start developing those assets."

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  2. Re: Samba Gains Legal Access to Microsoft Network File Protocols

    Hi Kerry,

    > Same goes for many of the other 3GL's. Bottom line is that many Cust's
    > have way to much invested in business logic written in these traditional
    > languages to do any major conversions.

    Ok, so that's at least you and me here that understand that. (And many IT
    depts in the City of London that know that their VMS workhorses are the most
    cost-effective solutions available.) Why they still also use Pascal escapes
    me but anyway :-)

    But I'm interested in what you'd classify as "major conversions";
    specifically I'm looking for testimonials from one of HP's many satisfied
    WSIT customers, or at least a HP Website reference for the PetShop (or
    similar) example with a 3GL +/- ACMS backend.

    Cheers Richard Maher