How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL - VMS

This is a discussion on How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL - VMS ; I'm running: VMS/Alpha 7.3-2 (within 6 months of latest ECOs) Multinet 4.4 (ditto) Cerner Millennium 2005.02 (primary application) We (well, the analysts) run scheduled jobs that generate various reports and e-mail them to a variety of users. The jobs are ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    I'm running: VMS/Alpha 7.3-2 (within 6 months of latest ECOs)
    Multinet 4.4 (ditto)
    Cerner Millennium 2005.02 (primary application)

    We (well, the analysts) run scheduled jobs that generate
    various reports and e-mail them to a variety of users. The
    jobs are written "CCL", a sort of wrapper around SQL
    (insulates the application from changes in Oracle, etc.),
    which in turn calls a built-in routine to actually send the
    message/report after its been created.

    This built-in clearly (at least to me) is an interface to
    Callable_Mail and allows the caller to specify the sender,
    or "From:" address.

    Due to a variety of issues that were exposed by a recent
    upgrade of our Exchange Server (yes, this is the real world
    and MS dominates), I found I could avoid the call to the
    built-in and use VMS Mail to send the reports in a way that
    didn't corrupt them. However, I have not found a way to
    override/set the From header.

    Off-list, David Dachtera pointed me to the Multinet logical
    names, and I've tried with MULTINET_SMTP_ENVELOPE_FROM_HOST.
    This doesn't quite do the job because (a) it only sets the
    host, not user & host, and (b) it seems to set the Return-Path
    header which doesn't show up in the reader's OutHouse view of
    the message, nor is it used when replying to the message.

    So I'm looking for a no-cost work-around. I can't purchase
    PMDF, for example. I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    doesn't look to be VMS related at all.

    Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  2. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm running: VMS/Alpha 7.3-2 (within 6 months of latest ECOs)
    > Multinet 4.4 (ditto)
    > Cerner Millennium 2005.02 (primary application)
    >
    > We (well, the analysts) run scheduled jobs that generate
    > various reports and e-mail them to a variety of users. The
    > jobs are written "CCL", a sort of wrapper around SQL
    > (insulates the application from changes in Oracle, etc.),
    > which in turn calls a built-in routine to actually send the
    > message/report after its been created.
    >
    > This built-in clearly (at least to me) is an interface to
    > Callable_Mail and allows the caller to specify the sender,
    > or "From:" address.
    >
    > Due to a variety of issues that were exposed by a recent
    > upgrade of our Exchange Server (yes, this is the real world
    > and MS dominates), I found I could avoid the call to the
    > built-in and use VMS Mail to send the reports in a way that
    > didn't corrupt them. However, I have not found a way to
    > override/set the From header.
    >
    > Off-list, David Dachtera pointed me to the Multinet logical
    > names, and I've tried with MULTINET_SMTP_ENVELOPE_FROM_HOST.
    > This doesn't quite do the job because (a) it only sets the
    > host, not user & host, and (b) it seems to set the Return-Path
    > header which doesn't show up in the reader's OutHouse view of
    > the message, nor is it used when replying to the message.
    >

    > So I'm looking for a no-cost work-around. I can't purchase
    > PMDF, for example. I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    > link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    > doesn't look to be VMS related at all.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    > names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?
    >
    > Thanks, Ken
    > --
    > Ken & Ann Fairfield
    > What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    > Where: Gmail dot Com

    Why do you care WHAT the from address is??

    What problem are you really trying to solve?

    If all else fails, you should be able to create a VMS account that would
    be used only to generate and mail the report. The from address will be
    the name of that account.

  3. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:

    > I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    > link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    > doesn't look to be VMS related at all.

    I use NBL a lot to send mails from a VMS system (Alpha 7.3)
    It's a very simple tool that just opens a link to port 25
    on the/any smtp server and "sends" the mail. In my case it
    opens port 25 on localhost, so it's still my own smtp server
    who send the mail in the end.

    All this is to work-around the extra blank line that
    VMS-mail adds after the regular VMS-mail headers, and that
    (the blank line) breaks MIME encodings...

    NBL = No Blank Line, for some reason... :-)

    And since NBL enters any smtp headers you like, I think
    that you can put anything you'd like in the From: line.

    I think that DELIVER also have a priviledged forward
    option, where you can change the from line.

    TCPIP/Services also have a SFF tools that I think does
    the same thing.

    Just a few pointers...

    Regards,
    Jan-Erik.

  4. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    >> link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    >> doesn't look to be VMS related at all.

    > I use NBL a lot to send mails from a VMS system (Alpha 7.3)
    > It's a very simple tool that just opens a link to port 25
    > on the/any smtp server and "sends" the mail. In my case it
    > opens port 25 on localhost, so it's still my own smtp server
    > who send the mail in the end.
    >
    > All this is to work-around the extra blank line that
    > VMS-mail adds after the regular VMS-mail headers, and that
    > (the blank line) breaks MIME encodings...
    >
    > NBL = No Blank Line, for some reason... :-)
    >
    > And since NBL enters any smtp headers you like, I think
    > that you can put anything you'd like in the From: line.
    >
    > I think that DELIVER also have a priviledged forward
    > option, where you can change the from line.
    >
    > TCPIP/Services also have a SFF tools that I think does
    > the same thing.
    >
    > Just a few pointers...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jan-Erik.

    Another free solution ("free" if your programming time is
    free :-) is C-Kermit. Write a Kermit macro that telnets to
    your SMTP server on port 25 (could be localhost), and
    conducts the SMTP dialog to format and send a message.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  5. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    In article
    <5138d915-cc4b-4f19-b10d-d016355c0eeb@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:

    > So I'm looking for a no-cost work-around. I can't purchase
    > PMDF, for example. I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    > link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    > doesn't look to be VMS related at all.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    > names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?

    I use Perl with the MIME::Lite module:

    http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/MIME-Li...b/MIME/Lite.pm

    You can create a complicated multi-part message with the parts in
    various and sundry encodings in about a dozen lines of code. And yes,
    you can say it's from whoever you want it to be from.

  6. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    >> link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    >> doesn't look to be VMS related at all.

    > I use NBL a lot to send mails from a VMS system (Alpha 7.3)
    > It's a very simple tool that just opens a link to port 25
    > on the/any smtp server and "sends" the mail. In my case it
    > opens port 25 on localhost, so it's still my own smtp server
    > who send the mail in the end.

    Ah ha, so this may not work in my case since we don't enable
    the SMTP server in Multinet and I'm not inclined to change
    that.

    > All this is to work-around the extra blank line that
    > VMS-mail adds after the regular VMS-mail headers, and that
    > (the blank line) breaks MIME encodings...
    >
    > NBL = No Blank Line, for some reason... :-)
    >
    > And since NBL enters any smtp headers you like, I think
    > that you can put anything you'd like in the From: line.

    That is what I understood. But to reiterate, I couldn't
    find NBL on the web. The old reference in the cov faq
    no longer works. :-( I'd be interested if its on someone's
    mirror.

    > I think that DELIVER also have a priviledged forward
    > option, where you can change the from line.

    I hadn't thought of Deliver. That's another possible option
    (unless it, too, needs to talk to a local SMTP server).

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  7. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Craig A. Berry wrote:
    > In article
    > <5138d915-cc4b-4f19-b10d-d016355c0eeb@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> So I'm looking for a no-cost work-around. I can't purchase
    >> PMDF, for example. I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    >> link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    >> doesn't look to be VMS related at all.
    >>
    >> Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    >> names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?

    > I use Perl with the MIME::Lite module:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/MIME-Li...b/MIME/Lite.pm
    >
    > You can create a complicated multi-part message with the parts in
    > various and sundry encodings in about a dozen lines of code. And yes,
    > you can say it's from whoever you want it to be from.

    That sounds useful and I'll keep it in mind. At the moment
    we don't have Perl installed and I'd rather not in this
    environment if I don't have to.

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  8. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    [...]
    > Why do you care WHAT the from address is??
    >
    > What problem are you really trying to solve?

    I'm trying to reproduce the functionality of the current, but
    broken, CCL scripts up to and including the (fake) From: address,
    in DCL while correcting the "broken" part (uuencode corruption).

    I'm concerned that our user community, or a subset of it, may
    have created OutHouse filters on the From: address, which is
    currently a nicely formatted, fixed, non-repliable address.

    I don't think there will be a problem with (bogus) replies if
    I can't force the fake From: address (since we've not enabled
    the SMTP server in Multinet to receive email), but I'd like to
    avoid user-visible changes if possible.

    > If all else fails, you should be able to create a VMS account that would
    > be used only to generate and mail the report. The from address will be
    > the name of that account.

    Actually, no, given the architecture of the application (Cerner
    Millennium), it would be very difficult send mail from a specified
    account, at least not without making this a whole lot more
    complicated, e.g., doing a submit/user makes getting proper error
    reporting back to the calling application "challenging" at best.

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  9. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Many moons ago, there was a prodedure lying around DECUS that showed how
    to use DCL to do task to task DECnet mail. This procedure had the
    wonderful ability to spoof the "From" address.

    Can't remember what its name was though.

  10. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Come to think of it, with DECnet, you could set it up.

    Create a "From" account on VMS. Give the accounts that rn the software a
    proxy to the "From" account.

    Then, the software creates a file, sets its protection so that "From"
    can read/delete it. Then open the task to the From account, send in the
    "To" , the "Subject" and the "file name". Then that tasks reads those 3
    items and proceeds to email the file to "TO" and with teh specificed
    subject. When done, the file is deleted.

    This way, that task will be sending proper VMS mail under the "From"
    account.

  11. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Craig A. Berry wrote:
    > In article
    > <5138d915-cc4b-4f19-b10d-d016355c0eeb@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    > Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> So I'm looking for a no-cost work-around. I can't purchase
    >> PMDF, for example. I looked for the "NBL" utility, but the
    >> link in the FAQ gets me to a site that I can't translate, and
    >> doesn't look to be VMS related at all.
    >>
    >> Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    >> names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?

    > I use Perl with the MIME::Lite module:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/MIME-Li...b/MIME/Lite.pm
    >
    > You can create a complicated multi-part message with the parts in
    > various and sundry encodings in about a dozen lines of code. And yes,
    > you can say it's from whoever you want it to be from.

    Python also include an email module to do this sort of things, I use it
    extensively in some of my tools.
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-email.html
    http://docs.python.org/lib/netdata.html

    JFP

  12. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Ken Fairfield wrote:
    > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    >> Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I use NBL a lot to send mails from a VMS system (Alpha 7.3)
    >> It's a very simple tool that just opens a link to port 25
    >> on the/any smtp server and "sends" the mail. In my case it
    >> opens port 25 on localhost, so it's still my own smtp server
    >> who send the mail in the end.

    > Ah ha, so this may not work in my case since we don't enable
    > the SMTP server in Multinet and I'm not inclined to change
    > that.

    Read Jan's paragraph again - you can use any smtp server (surely
    you do have some smtp server somewhere in your net?!). Using
    localhost usally is just the easiest solution.

    cu,
    Martin
    --
    One OS to rule them all | Martin Vorlaender | OpenVMS rules!
    One OS to find them | work: mv@pdv-systeme.de

  13. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    > Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    > names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?

    You can write your own interface to callable mail. The routines are
    still in VMS and documented.. I haven't personally done this for
    at least 20 years, but if your needs are not too much, following the
    examples
    will get you going. As I recall setting the from address requires some
    privilege,
    see mail$_message_from field. Docs at:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83fina...toc_chapter_16

    Good luck, Jim

  14. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Jean-François Piéronne wrote:
    > Craig A. Berry wrote:
    >> I use Perl with the MIME::Lite module:
    >>
    >> http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/MIME-Li...b/MIME/Lite.pm
    >>
    >> You can create a complicated multi-part message with the parts in
    >> various and sundry encodings in about a dozen lines of code. And yes,
    >> you can say it's from whoever you want it to be from.

    > Python also include an email module to do this sort of things, I use it
    > extensively in some of my tools.
    > http://docs.python.org/lib/module-email.html
    > http://docs.python.org/lib/netdata.html

    Java too.

    It is more or less a "must have" today.

    Arne

  15. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    Ken.Fairfield@gmail.com wrote in news:5138d915-cc4b-4f19-b10d-
    d016355c0eeb@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    > This built-in clearly (at least to me) is an interface to
    > Callable_Mail and allows the caller to specify the sender,
    > or "From:" address.
    >
    > Due to a variety of issues that were exposed by a recent
    > upgrade of our Exchange Server (yes, this is the real world
    > and MS dominates), I found I could avoid the call to the
    > built-in and use VMS Mail to send the reports in a way that
    > didn't corrupt them. However, I have not found a way to
    > override/set the From header.
    >
    > Off-list, David Dachtera pointed me to the Multinet logical
    > names, and I've tried with MULTINET_SMTP_ENVELOPE_FROM_HOST.
    > This doesn't quite do the job because (a) it only sets the
    > host, not user & host, and (b) it seems to set the Return-Path
    > header which doesn't show up in the reader's OutHouse view of
    > the message, nor is it used when replying to the message.

    There is a logical called MULTINET_SMTP_REPLY_TO which might give you what
    you need. I've used it many times to keep people from sending replies to
    VMS systems which don't have MX records in DNS and aren't referenced by the
    common mail servers.

    > Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    > names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?
    >
    > Thanks, Ken
    > --
    > Ken & Ann Fairfield
    > What: Ken dot And dot Ann
    > Where: Gmail dot Com

    Tad

  16. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    jo jimbo wrote:
    >> Are there any other suggestions? "Hidden" Multinet logical
    >> names. Some other freely available interface to Callable_Mail?
    >>

    > You can write your own interface to callable mail. The routines are
    > still in VMS and documented.. I haven't personally done this for
    > at least 20 years,

    DEC internally ?

    (I belive it was introduced with VMS 5.0 which was released to the
    public in April 1988)

    Arne

  17. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    On Jan 5, 12:36 am, Jean-François Piéronne
    wrote:
    [...]
    > Python also include an email module to do this sort of things, I use it
    > extensively in some of my tools.http://docs.python.org/lib/module-em...b/netdata.html
    >
    > JFP

    Another good suggestion, thanks! -Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  18. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    On Jan 5, 1:16 am, "Martin Vorlaender" wrote:
    > Ken Fairfield wrote:
    > > Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > >> Ken.Fairfi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >> I use NBL a lot to send mails from a VMS system (Alpha 7.3)
    > >> It's a very simple tool that just opens a link to port 25
    > >> on the/any smtp server and "sends" the mail. In my case it
    > >> opens port 25 on localhost, so it's still my own smtp server
    > >> who send the mail in the end.

    > > Ah ha, so this may not work in my case since we don't enable
    > > the SMTP server in Multinet and I'm not inclined to change
    > > that.

    > Read Jan's paragraph again - you can use any smtp server (surely
    > you do have some smtp server somewhere in your net?!). Using
    > localhost usally is just the easiest solution.

    OK, yes, thanks for driving the point home. That thought had
    occurred to me after I post. :-}

    -Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  19. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    On Jan 6, 3:45 pm, Tad Winters
    wrote:
    [...]

    > There is a logical called MULTINET_SMTP_REPLY_TO which might give you what
    > you need. I've used it many times to keep people from sending replies to
    > VMS systems which don't have MX records in DNS and aren't referenced by the
    > common mail servers.

    That logical does, indeed, set the Reply-to: address, but
    OutHouse still
    shows the From: address as sent. This may be sufficient... :-)

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann

  20. Re: How to set "From:" address in VMS MAIL

    On Jan 5, 12:20 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Come to think of it, with DECnet, you could set it up.
    >
    > Create a "From" account on VMS. Give the accounts that rn the software a
    > proxy to the "From" account.
    >
    > Then, the software creates a file, sets its protection so that "From"
    > can read/delete it. Then open the task to the From account, send in the
    > "To" , the "Subject" and the "file name". Then that tasks reads those 3
    > items and proceeds to email the file to "TO" and with teh specificed
    > subject. When done, the file is deleted.
    >
    > This way, that task will be sending proper VMS mail under the "From"
    > account.

    Interesting idea. Unfortunately we're TCP/IP only and I'm not
    going
    to install DECnet, especially for such a superficial requirement (yes,
    I recognize that this whole issue is just superficial :-).

    Thanks, Ken
    --
    Ken & Ann Fairfield
    What: Ken dot And dot Ann