Re: Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts - VMS ; From: JF Mezei > Or should I focus on doing this from the MAC's side, adding whatever > command are needed in its boot scripts to "tell" the VMS box to create > the detached process ? (RSH or whatever). ...

  1. Re: Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts

    From: JF Mezei

    > Or should I focus on doing this from the MAC's side, adding whatever
    > command are needed in its boot scripts to "tell" the VMS box to create
    > the detached process ? (RSH or whatever).

    As usual, I'll assume that by "MAC", you mean "Mac", as in
    "Macintosh", not "Media Access Control".

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Access_Control

    (Are you impervious to this datum?)

    > What I like about the "ping until there is a response" is that the mac

    Not a major improvement.

    > would not have to authenticate itself against the VMS machine to cause
    > the create/term/nologger command to execute and I would then login
    > normally to any account I would want. If I use the RSH mechanisms, it
    > means that the mac needs to authenticate itself to the VMS box and I
    > suspect this would be a security issue of keeping VMS passwords on a
    > MAC, right ?

    tcpip help add proxy

    [...]
    o Communication proxy

    - Provides an identity for users of RSH, RLOGIN,
    REXEC, RMT/RCD, LPR/LPD, and customer-written
    services, if these services are marked with
    SET SERVICE /FLAGS=APPLICATION_PROXY.
    [...]

    Think "~/.rhosts", but the system manager needs to do the work.

    With SSH, you'd need to keep a (no-passphrase) private key file
    there, but not a plain-text password.

    Ping is a possibly necessary but definitely not sufficient condition
    for RSH or SSH success. During system start-up, for example, ping will
    begin working before an RSH or SSH connection becomes possible (if it
    ever does).

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstationstarts

    On 3 Jan, 11:54, s...@antinode.org (Steven M. Schweda) wrote:
    > From: JF Mezei
    >
    > > Or should I focus on doing this from the MAC's side, adding whatever
    > > command are needed in its boot scripts to "tell" the VMS box to create
    > > the detached process ? (RSH or whatever).

    > * *As usual, I'll assume that by "MAC", you mean "Mac", as in
    > "Macintosh", not "Media Access Control".
    >
    > * * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh
    > * * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Access_Control
    >
    > (Are you impervious to this datum?)

    He was to 8086 =/= IA32 and 8086 =/= EM64T so why should it be any
    different this time around?

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread