Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts - VMS

This is a discussion on Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts - VMS ; Any suggestions on the best way to do the equivalent of: SET DISPLAY/NODE=xxx/transport=TCPIP CREATE/TERMINAL/DETACHED/NOLOGGED Automatically whenever a workstation becomes available ? I am thinking along the lines of a detached process that attempts to ping the workstation at regular intervals ...

  1. Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstation starts

    Any suggestions on the best way to do the equivalent of:

    SET DISPLAY/NODE=xxx/transport=TCPIP
    CREATE/TERMINAL/DETACHED/NOLOGGED

    Automatically whenever a workstation becomes available ?

    I am thinking along the lines of a detached process that attempts to
    ping the workstation at regular intervals and when the workstation
    appears, it does the CREATE/TERM command (is there a callable interface
    for this ? or the only way to create a DCL process to execute the command ?)

    The question becomes: how do you detect if that decterm has been
    terminated (at which point, you start to poll the workstation again
    until it becomes responsive).

    Or should I focus on doing this from the MAC's side, adding whatever
    command are needed in its boot scripts to "tell" the VMS box to create
    the detached process ? (RSH or whatever).

    What I like about the "ping until there is a response" is that the mac
    would not have to authenticate itself against the VMS machine to cause
    the create/term/nologger command to execute and I would then login
    normally to any account I would want. If I use the RSH mechanisms, it
    means that the mac needs to authenticate itself to the VMS box and I
    suspect this would be a security issue of keeping VMS passwords on a
    MAC, right ?

  2. Re: Automatically starting a decterm window when remote workstationstarts

    On Jan 3, 1:49 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Any suggestions on the best way to do the equivalent of:
    >
    > SET DISPLAY/NODE=xxx/transport=TCPIP
    > CREATE/TERMINAL/DETACHED/NOLOGGED
    >
    > Automatically whenever a workstation becomes available ?
    >
    > I am thinking along the lines of a detached process that attempts to
    > ping the workstation at regular intervals and when the workstation
    > appears, it does the CREATE/TERM command (is there a callable interface
    > for this ? or the only way to create a DCL process to execute the command ?)
    >
    > The question becomes: how do you detect if that decterm has been
    > terminated (at which point, you start to poll the workstation again
    > until it becomes responsive).
    >
    > Or should I focus on doing this from the MAC's side, adding whatever
    > command are needed in its boot scripts to "tell" the VMS box to create
    > the detached process ? (RSH or whatever).
    >
    > What I like about the "ping until there is a response" is that the mac
    > would not have to authenticate itself against the VMS machine to cause
    > the create/term/nologger command to execute and I would then login
    > normally to any account I would want. If I use the RSH mechanisms, it
    > means that the mac needs to authenticate itself to the VMS box and I
    > suspect this would be a security issue of keeping VMS passwords on a
    > MAC, right ?

    JF,

    Use XDMCP to initiate a X-Windows session from the MAC side. You can
    use the "throw the session to the workstation" solution, but on recent
    versions of OpenVMS TCP/IP, there is support for the XDMCP protocol.

    What version of TCP/IP is running?

    - Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

+ Reply to Thread