Looking for older Fortran manuals - VMS

This is a discussion on Looking for older Fortran manuals - VMS ; Hello everyone, I'm looking for older Fortran manuals, something like VAX Fortran released when VMS 7.x or 6.x was new. I've made lengthy searches on HP website, but wasn't able to find anything older than the latest HP Fortran for ...

  1. Looking for older Fortran manuals

    Hello everyone,

    I'm looking for older Fortran manuals, something like VAX Fortran released
    when VMS 7.x or 6.x was new. I've made lengthy searches on HP website, but
    wasn't able to find anything older than the latest HP Fortran for Itanium and
    Alpha processors, neither on "official" pages nor fiddling with URLs :-)

    Any pointer to such manuals in PDF would be much appreciated. I do know that
    almost everything can be found on newer manuals, but I do want the older ones.
    I'm specifically looking for VAX related manuals, not Itanium or Alpha, for
    hobbyist training purposes on older systems (even VAX/VMS 5.x if possible).

    Thank you,
    G.

  2. Re: Looking for older Fortran manuals

    gerry77@no.spam.mail.com wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm looking for older Fortran manuals, something like VAX Fortran released
    > when VMS 7.x or 6.x was new. I've made lengthy searches on HP website, but
    > wasn't able to find anything older than the latest HP Fortran for Itanium and
    > Alpha processors, neither on "official" pages nor fiddling with URLs :-)
    >
    > Any pointer to such manuals in PDF would be much appreciated. I do know that
    > almost everything can be found on newer manuals, but I do want the older ones.
    > I'm specifically looking for VAX related manuals, not Itanium or Alpha, for
    > hobbyist training purposes on older systems (even VAX/VMS 5.x if possible).
    >
    > Thank you,
    > G.

    Was there something specific you wanted to know? I have copies of both
    "DEC Fortran User Manual for OpenVMS VAX Systems" AA-PUYPA-TE (1993) and
    "DEC Fortran Language Reference Manual" AA-PU45B-TK (1995). I will not
    part with them but I could look something up for you. . . .

    You might try Googling for those order numbers. . . . They might be
    online somewhere where HP's pitifully lame search engine can't find them.

  3. Re: Looking for older Fortran manuals

    G.,

    you can find old documentation at:

    http://www.sysworks.com.au/odl.html

    Happy New Year and happy reading...

    Volker.

  4. Re: Looking for older Fortran manuals

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:00:06 -0500, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:

    > Was there something specific you wanted to know? I have copies of both

    No, thanks, nothing specific. I was just looking for the right manual, with
    all those little details about the VAX Fortran implementation that in current
    manuals are either hidden among paragraphs which outline differences between
    Itanium and Alpha, or sometimes maybe completely removed.

    Moreover I was looking for something published when Fortran 77 was current (or
    at least more usual than now) :-)

    G.

  5. Re: Looking for older Fortran manuals

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:10:15 -0800 (PST), Volker Halle
    wrote:

    > you can find old documentation at:
    >
    > http://www.sysworks.com.au/odl.html

    I knew them because they appear quite often searching with Google, but I
    didn't think to look at their site for specific information because I was
    looking for PDF manuals, anyway they have something very useful about Fortran
    so I'll stick with them until I'll find something in PDF.

    Thank you for this suggestion,
    G.

  6. RE: Looking for older Fortran manuals

    Not specific to Fortran, but archived OpenVMS doc's that include VAX to
    Alpha type doc's are at:
    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/archived.html

    Btw, the concepts and strategies in "Building Dependable Systems - The
    OpenVMS Approach" is still as valid today as it was many years ago.

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada