OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007. - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007. - VMS ; This group of scum never ceases to amaze me... http://tmesis.com/r_scum -- VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?" http://tmesis.com/drat.html...

  1. OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...

    http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  2. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    The linked article begs the question: Why was M$ not identified as a
    co-defendant for complicity by enabling (the alleged violations) thru
    it's MediaPlayer product?

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  3. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    Have probably said this before, but that's the sort of culture you get
    when you allow your country to be run by big bisiness and gangsters.

    Don't get me wrong - some of us weep for America at the mo, but there
    sure will be a lot of crap to shovel up in a year or so's time. However,
    the clock is ticking along nicely :-)...

    Chris

  4. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    wrote:

    > This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    Unfortunately, this seems to be sensationalist reporting:

    http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml...C81I5JE&page=1

    Mind you, I am not denying that they are scum...

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  5. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    "P. Sture" wrote in message
    newsaul.sture.nospam-C52B3A.00492302012008@mac.sture.ch...
    > In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    > wrote:
    >
    >> This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...
    >>
    >> http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    > Unfortunately, this seems to be sensationalist reporting:
    >
    > http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml...C81I5JE&page=1
    >
    > Mind you, I am not denying that they are scum...
    >
    > --
    > Paul Sture
    >
    > Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:
    > http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~stu...bookmarks.html

    Take a look at the link in the inquirer's article. It's to an article in
    the Washington Post. Sounds like RIAA has crossed the line (AGAIN). Maybe
    it's time for the recording industry to die.

    Mike Ober.

  6. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    In article <13nlojoh6lpdna6@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael D. Ober" writes:

    >"P. Sture" wrote in message
    >newsaul.sture.nospam-C52B3A.00492302012008@mac.sture.ch...
    >> In article , VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This group of scum never ceases to amaze me...
    >>>
    >>> http://tmesis.com/r_scum

    >> Unfortunately, this seems to be sensationalist reporting:
    >>
    >> http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml...C81I5JE&page=1
    >>
    >> Mind you, I am not denying that they are scum...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul Sture
    >>
    >> Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:
    >> http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~stu...bookmarks.html
    >>

    >Take a look at the link in the inquirer's article. It's to an article in
    >the Washington Post. Sounds like RIAA has crossed the line (AGAIN). Maybe
    >it's time for the recording industry to die.

    Just the RIAA. I know many bands and musicians, and they would not like
    the inductry to die -- just the RIAA.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  7. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    wrote in message
    > In article <13nlojoh6lpdna6@corp.supernews.com>, "Michael D. Ober"
    > writes:
    >>

    >>"P. Sture" wrote in message
    >>newsaul.sture.nospam-C52B3A.00492302012008@mac.sture.ch...

    >>> Unfortunately, this seems to be sensationalist reporting:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml...C81I5JE&page=1
    >>>
    >>> Mind you, I am not denying that they are scum...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Paul Sture
    >>>
    >>> Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:
    >>> http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~stu...bookmarks.html
    >>>

    >>Take a look at the link in the inquirer's article. It's to an article in
    >>the Washington Post. Sounds like RIAA has crossed the line (AGAIN).
    >>Maybe
    >>it's time for the recording industry to die.

    > Just the RIAA. I know many bands and musicians, and they would not like
    > the inductry to die -- just the RIAA.

    Good point.

    Mike.

    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker
    > VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Just the RIAA. I know many bands and musicians, and they would not like
    > the inductry to die -- just the RIAA.

    I think I liked RIAA better when they were helping to create industry
    standards for recording/playback equalization.

    By these new measures, taking a picture of a masterpiece (painting,
    sculpture, etc.) is likewise the grandest of larceny...

    NOT!!!

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  9. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    > contract. My point was that, in contrast to even 10 years ago, anyone
    > who wants to distribute his recordings via the internet can do so,
    > without a record company.

    Not quite. Most well known artists are locked into contracts with the
    major record companies which prevent them from releasing material on
    their own.

    And when you leave a record company, you might be able to distribute low
    quality MP3s on the net, but you'll have a hard time getting your high
    quality CDs into stores and into every radio station in the world.

    What would be needed is some "youtube" style of web site where
    independant artists could publish low quality songs and a pointer to
    their own web site where you can get the high quality version.

  10. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    In article <477d4062$0$4317$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >Not quite. Most well known artists are locked into contracts with the
    >major record companies which prevent them from releasing material on

    ^^^^^
    >their own.

    The big (bad) 4... Sony, EMI, Universal and Warner.

    There are MANY indie labels. A boon to the small artist who will not
    be signed by the big (bad) 4 because they don't fit the current mould
    of the pablum they are feeding this week.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  11. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    writes:

    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    > > contract. My point was that, in contrast to even 10 years ago, anyone
    > > who wants to distribute his recordings via the internet can do so,
    > > without a record company.

    > Not quite. Most well known artists are locked into contracts with the
    > major record companies which prevent them from releasing material on
    > their own.

    Yes, but I was talking primarily about artists without a contract.
    Also, those who have contracts will see them expire some day. And if
    they are established artists, they are probably earning enough (even if
    they might be able to earn more without a record-company contract, but
    even then perhaps mainly on popularity which they obtained through the
    record company).

    > What would be needed is some "youtube" style of web site where
    > independant artists could publish low quality songs and a pointer to
    > their own web site where you can get the high quality version.

    ??? It already exists. It is called, wait for it, YouTube.

  12. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    In article , helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    >In article <477d4062$0$4317$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    > writes:
    >{...snip...}
    >> What would be needed is some "youtube" style of web site where
    >> independant artists could publish low quality songs and a pointer to
    >> their own web site where you can get the high quality version.

    >??? It already exists. It is called, wait for it, YouTube.

    And MyWaste.com (myspace.com) too. There are many musicians that have
    establish themselves using their MyWaste.com pages. The problem with
    that service, and the reason I call it MyWaste, it the number of user
    pages. The page editor enforces a lack of creativity and a surplus of
    cheese on most of the pages. Talk about wasted bacnwidth. The artists
    (musical and others) are lost in a vast sea of superfluous dreck from
    the pubescents and their "friends". It's also nearly IMPOSSIBLE to do
    a search on MyWaste.com for anything unless you've signed up to become
    one of the MyWaste-oids yourself.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  13. Re: OT: The penultimate legal schmuckery of 2007.

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    >> contract. My point was that, in contrast to even 10 years ago,
    >> anyone who wants to distribute his recordings via the internet can
    >> do so, without a record company.

    > Not quite. Most well known artists are locked into contracts with the
    > major record companies which prevent them from releasing material on
    > their own.
    >
    > And when you leave a record company, you might be able to distribute
    > low quality MP3s on the net, but you'll have a hard time getting your
    > high quality CDs into stores and into every radio station in the
    > world.
    >

    > What would be needed is some "youtube" style of web site where
    > independant artists could publish low quality songs and a pointer to
    > their own web site where you can get the high quality version.

    Plenty of attempts - here is one http://mindawn.com the artists page here
    http://mindawn.com/artists.php

    Dweeb

+ Reply to Thread