US Army buying Macs - VMS

This is a discussion on US Army buying Macs - VMS ; Another opportunity for VMS. HP, ARE YOU LISTENING?? ------- Forwarded message follows ------- RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Sunday 30 December 2007 Volume 24 : Issue 93 Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:21:05 +0100 From: Peter Houppermans Subject: Army to use Macs ...

  1. US Army buying Macs

    Another opportunity for VMS. HP, ARE YOU LISTENING??

    RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest Sunday 30 December 2007 Volume 24 : Issue 93

    Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:21:05 +0100
    From: Peter Houppermans
    Subject: Army to use Macs to prevent hacking

    "[..] the military is quietly working to integrate Macintosh computers into
    its systems to make them harder to hack. That's because fewer attacks have
    been designed to infiltrate Mac computers, and adding more Macs to the
    military's computer mix makes it tougher to destabilize a group of military
    computers with a single attack [..]"
    http://www.forbes.com/home/technolog...tech-security-
    cx_ag_1221army.html
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/29xelf

    ------- End of forwarded message ---------Stan Quayle
    Quayle Consulting Inc.

    ----------
    Stanley F. Quayle, P.E. N8SQ Toll free: 1-888-I-LUV-VAX
    8572 North Spring Ct., Pickerington, OH 43147 USA
    stan-at-stanq-dot-com http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html
    "OpenVMS, when downtime is not an option"

  2. Re: US Army buying Macs

    Stanley F. Quayle wrote:
    > Another opportunity for VMS. HP, ARE YOU LISTENING??

    Why would HP see this as an opportunity for VMS ?

    For HP, new opportunies are routed to the HP-UX , Linux or Wintel
    departments.

    Besides, when even the VMS group has convinced itself that VMS shouldn't
    be used for small and desktop systems and that it is only good for large
    back-room servers, why would HP even consider VMS for opportunities that
    need "desktop to data centre" ?????

    Just accept it. It is pointless to try to battle HP and change the mids
    of the people such as Stallards and Livermore who undoubtedly have large
    influence on Hurd.

  3. Re: US Army buying Macs

    Stanley F. Quayle wrote:

    > Another opportunity for VMS. HP, ARE YOU LISTENING??

    The question shouldn't be "are you listening?" but rather "why AREN'T you
    listening".

    I've never gotten an answer to that; I no longer expect one.

    I used to use VMS. Many years ago. MANY years ago. I have many fond
    memories of using VMS and still think it was one of the best, most capable
    & reliable OS's out there. But Digital (it was still DEC back then) had no
    interest in selling VMS, HP shows even less interest in selling VMS, which
    means that my VMS knowledge & skills have a much smaller market, which
    means that I've gone elsewhere. Yes, it's kind of a chicken-and-egg
    problem, but DEC/HP is the one who sold the eggs and killed the chicken.

    HP: By dropping VMS you didn't 'win' my business to another platform - you
    lost my business to another provider.

    Sigh....

    --
    Al Dunstan, Software Engineer