OT: More daylight savings hassles - VMS

This is a discussion on OT: More daylight savings hassles - VMS ; http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt...34841120071227 BUENOS AIRES, Dec 27 (Reuters) - Argentina's Congress approved a daylight savings measure late on Wednesday, part of a broader government plan to conserve energy as demand for power surges amid brisk economic growth. Under the new law, which ...

  1. OT: More daylight savings hassles

    http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt...34841120071227

    BUENOS AIRES, Dec 27 (Reuters) - Argentina's Congress approved a
    daylight savings measure late on Wednesday, part of a broader government
    plan to conserve energy as demand for power surges amid brisk economic
    growth.

    Under the new law, which both houses of Congress passed the same day,
    the time in Argentina will jump forward an hour starting on Sunday. The
    clocks will turn back on March 16.

    etc

    Talk about quick implementation. Pass a law on wednesday for a time
    change that takes effect 4 days later !

    It appears Microsoft has already issued patches for this. Are updated
    time zone files available for VMS yet ? :-) :-)

  2. Re: OT: More daylight savings hassles

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt...34841120071227
    >
    > BUENOS AIRES, Dec 27 (Reuters) - Argentina's Congress approved a
    > daylight savings measure late on Wednesday, part of a broader government
    > plan to conserve energy as demand for power surges amid brisk economic
    > growth.
    >
    > Under the new law, which both houses of Congress passed the same day,
    > the time in Argentina will jump forward an hour starting on Sunday. The
    > clocks will turn back on March 16.
    >
    > etc
    >
    > Talk about quick implementation. Pass a law on wednesday for a time
    > change that takes effect 4 days later !
    >

    > It appears Microsoft has already issued patches for this. Are updated
    > time zone files available for VMS yet ? :-) :-)

    They must have followed the lead of the US in which they passed these
    similar "energy-saving" measures by extending DST by 3 weeks (2 in
    Spring and 1 in the Fall) to combat the non-existent global warming.
    They used a study on how/when Americans went to work and came home to
    show how much energy could be saved by implementing DST. Problem is -
    the study was 30+ years old and in no way represents current day work
    trends. The only thing they did was, once again, line the pockets of the
    big 5 consulting companies and a bunch of lawyers as well as most of the
    computer industry. In essence, what it caused was having to do another
    Y2K effort in < 1 year - when it took almost 10 years to prepare for
    Y2K. The to top it off, SUN announced a bug in Java (another "bright
    idea") 3 days before DST causing my company to patch 4000+ servers in 2
    days... not to mention the patches required for Oracle because of it...

    GRRRRR Morons, I tell you, they are all Morons!!!

+ Reply to Thread