Request for improvement to MAIL - VMS

This is a discussion on Request for improvement to MAIL - VMS ; The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following: -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages. -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on the ...

  1. Request for improvement to MAIL

    The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:

    -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.

    -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    the character cell terminal as part of the message.

    -upon encountering a audio attachement, MAIL should automatically
    invoque some speech recognition software that will convert the speech
    into ascii text displayed as part of the message. (This is especially
    important for VMS on them IA64 contraptions where a decision was made to
    not support sound on those machines). Such facility would also be very
    good and generating lyrics from music (just send yourself an MP3 and
    when MAIL reads/decodes it, it will print out the lyrics for that song).

    -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    ..EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    implementing automated suppport for them.

    -support for flash files on character cell terminals is more
    problematic. It is quite hard to display a high enough frame rate when
    using SIXEL at 9600 baud to fill a screen. And the window needs to be
    split so that a lower scrolling region will display the ascii text from
    any sound files that are decoded. And support for REGIS may be required
    to allow precise cursor positioning by the user wishing to "click" on a
    button n the flash display. (the return key would obviously be used to
    "click" on buttons after having moved the cursor with the arrow keys
    over a button.

    It is true that it would be far easier to implement the above on the
    X-windows version of mail, but it appears that HP has made a decision
    that no more development must be made on VMS X-windows software since
    VMS is to be relegated to an obscure server-only OS.

  2. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    >
    > -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.
    >
    > -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    > the character cell terminal as part of the message.
    >
    > -upon encountering a audio attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > invoque some speech recognition software that will convert the speech
    > into ascii text displayed as part of the message. (This is especially
    > important for VMS on them IA64 contraptions where a decision was made to
    > not support sound on those machines). Such facility would also be very
    > good and generating lyrics from music (just send yourself an MP3 and
    > when MAIL reads/decodes it, it will print out the lyrics for that song).
    >
    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    > .EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    > in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    > consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    > implementing automated suppport for them.
    >
    > -support for flash files on character cell terminals is more
    > problematic. It is quite hard to display a high enough frame rate when
    > using SIXEL at 9600 baud to fill a screen. And the window needs to be
    > split so that a lower scrolling region will display the ascii text from
    > any sound files that are decoded. And support for REGIS may be required
    > to allow precise cursor positioning by the user wishing to "click" on a
    > button n the flash display. (the return key would obviously be used to
    > "click" on buttons after having moved the cursor with the arrow keys
    > over a button.
    >

    > It is true that it would be far easier to implement the above on the
    > X-windows version of mail, but it appears that HP has made a decision
    > that no more development must be made on VMS X-windows software since
    > VMS is to be relegated to an obscure server-only OS.

    Have you considered using a PC for those things it does best?

    Like mail?

  3. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    >
    > -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.

    That one actually sounded serious.

    But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    email tool.

    (I stopped 1-JAN-1997).

    > -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    > the character cell terminal as part of the message.

    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    > .EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    > in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    > consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    > implementing automated suppport for them.

    But after reading that I conclude that it was not serious.

    I just don't see the real point.

    Arne

  4. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    On Dec 28, 2007 8:23 AM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    > the character cell terminal as part of the message.

    [snip happens]
    > -upon encountering a audio attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > invoque some speech recognition software that will convert the speech

    [just snip it]
    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the

    [snippity doo-dah]

    Isn't this three months and some days early?

  5. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    DeanW wrote:

    > Isn't this three months and some days early?

    Yeah, but I couldn't resist. Amazing how some have taken it seriously !

    What I do miss of MAIL which isn't available on modern platforms is the
    ability to first vew a message "raw" before deciding whether to have it
    interpreted.

    On thunderbird, just clicking a message (so you can delete it) causes it
    to be opened and interpreted. You can disable html junk, but you can't
    have it display the raw message source by default.

  6. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    On Dec 28, 10:23 am, JF Mezei wrote:
    > The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    >
    > -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.
    >
    > -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    > the character cell terminal as part of the message.
    >
    > -upon encountering a audio attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > invoque some speech recognition software that will convert the speech
    > into ascii text displayed as part of the message. (This is especially
    > important for VMS on them IA64 contraptions where a decision was made to
    > not support sound on those machines). Such facility would also be very
    > good and generating lyrics from music (just send yourself an MP3 and
    > when MAIL reads/decodes it, it will print out the lyrics for that song).
    >
    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    > .EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    > in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    > consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    > implementing automated suppport for them.
    >
    > -support for flash files on character cell terminals is more
    > problematic. It is quite hard to display a high enough frame rate when
    > using SIXEL at 9600 baud to fill a screen. And the window needs to be
    > split so that a lower scrolling region will display the ascii text from
    > any sound files that are decoded. And support for REGIS may be required
    > to allow precise cursor positioning by the user wishing to "click" on a
    > button n the flash display. (the return key would obviously be used to
    > "click" on buttons after having moved the cursor with the arrow keys
    > over a button.
    >
    > It is true that it would be far easier to implement the above on the
    > X-windows version of mail, but it appears that HP has made a decision
    > that no more development must be made on VMS X-windows software since
    > VMS is to be relegated to an obscure server-only OS.

    Those sound like really good features. Maybe you could form a
    committee to do a feasibility study and appoint a sub-committee to
    conduct a market study to see if there's sufficient interest. If it
    doesn't look like this would be a profitable venture, then maybe Mr.
    Maher's Team-IMM would jump on it. I'd be willing to help once I
    finish consolidating all of my other Windows app's onto my VMS
    servers.

    ;-))

  7. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    In article <4775237d$0$16173$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei
    writes:

    > The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    >
    > -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.

    There is the standalone MIME utility. I wouldn't mind having it
    integrated into the normal MAIL interface, but it has to be done
    correctly. Remember when they rewrote MAIL in C and broke stuff?

    > -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    > decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    > the character cell terminal as part of the message.

    I would like to be prompted for this. Also, what if your terminal
    doesn't support sixel graphics? On the other hand, if I am reading MAIL
    in a terminal emulator on a graphics monitor, I would probably want
    something better than sixel graphics.

    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS.

    OK, I get it now, it's a joke.

    > It is true that it would be far easier to implement the above on the
    > X-windows version of mail, but it appears that HP has made a decision
    > that no more development must be made on VMS X-windows software since
    > VMS is to be relegated to an obscure server-only OS.

    Do you have evidence that MAIL is still being developed?

  8. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    In article <47754b79$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= writes:

    > JF Mezei wrote:
    > > The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    > >
    > > -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.

    > That one actually sounded serious.
    >
    > But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    > email tool.

    I still do. When I run into attachments I need, I write them to a file,
    decode them and then display them or whatever.

  9. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    >> But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    >> email tool.

    > I still do. When I run into attachments I need, I write them to a file,
    > decode them and then display them or whatever.

    My guess is that no one *professional* does that.
    And since it's the *professional* users that pays for
    VMS, well...

    Jan-Erik.

  10. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    > I still do. When I run into attachments I need, I write them to a file,
    > decode them and then display them or whatever.

    I used to do that. And it is the "correct" way to do it. I miss this
    capability in thunderbird.

    Ideally, one would be presented with the source of the message first,
    and only if you approce it, would thunderbird render that message with
    images, html and what not.

  11. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    In article <47755b54$0$25317$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    JF Mezei wrote:

    > DeanW wrote:
    >
    > > Isn't this three months and some days early?

    > Yeah, but I couldn't resist. Amazing how some have taken it seriously !
    >
    > What I do miss of MAIL which isn't available on modern platforms is the
    > ability to first vew a message "raw" before deciding whether to have it
    > interpreted.
    >
    > On thunderbird, just clicking a message (so you can delete it) causes it
    > to be opened and interpreted. You can disable html junk, but you can't
    > have it display the raw message source by default.

    I see from your headers that you are using Thunderbird on a Macintosh.
    Is that under OS X or a previous OS?

    Under OS X I use MT-NewsWatcher for newsgroups and it does allow you to
    delete messages without opening them. You can also display message
    headers (CMD-H). I actually use it in conjunction with leafnode as a
    server, and you can apply filtering in that too.

    On the mail side, I use Mail.app. Here you can not only switch off HTML
    display, but see the messages with long headers or raw source.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Sue's OpenVMS bookmarks:

  12. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > [snip]

    Well, the callable MAIL interface IS fully documented. SOmeone with a
    lot of free time and no financial responsibilities could probably hack
    up what you want in a couple of weeks or so, assuming "immersion".

    That said, ...

    > [snip]
    > -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    > a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    > SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    > .EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    > in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    > consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    > implementing automated suppport for them.

    This is by far the greatest vulnerability in WhineBloze. Why would you
    want VMS machines to make the same mistakes?

    David J Dcahtera
    DJE Systems

  13. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    In article ,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan-Erik_S=F6derholm?=
    writes:

    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    > >> But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    > >> email tool.

    > > I still do. When I run into attachments I need, I write them to a file,
    > > decode them and then display them or whatever.
    > >

    > My guess is that no one *professional* does that.
    > And since it's the *professional* users that pays for
    > VMS, well...

    Actually, I use VMS MAIL at work as well. Of course, not every wish of
    all paying customers is implemented.

  14. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    Jan-Erik Söderholm wrote:
    > Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    >>> But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    >>> email tool.

    >> I still do. When I run into attachments I need, I write them to a file,
    >> decode them and then display them or whatever.
    >>

    > My guess is that no one *professional* does that.
    > And since it's the *professional* users that pays for
    > VMS, well...
    >
    > Jan-Erik.

    wrong guess!!! I receive all my mail, using a VMS machine.

    Jouk

  15. Re: Request for improvement to MAIL

    In article <47754b79$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?= writes:
    >JF Mezei wrote:
    >> The character cell MAIL utility should be improved to support the following:
    >>
    >> -support for multipart (mime encoded) messages.

    >That one actually sounded serious.
    >
    >But not very relevant since very few uses VMS MAIL as their primary
    >email tool.
    >
    >(I stopped 1-JAN-1997).

    I still use PMDF MAIL on VMS which is PMDF's equivalent to VMS MAIL with
    support for MIME etc. The user interface to PMDF MAIL is pretty much identical
    to VMS MAIL apart from additional command qualifiers and features.

    David Webb
    Security team leader
    CCSS
    Middlesex University

    >> -upon encountering an image/xxxx attachement, MAIL should automatically
    >> decode it, and convert the image into SIXEL format to be displayed on
    >> the character cell terminal as part of the message.

    >> -upon encountering any .EXE attachement, VMS should automatically invoke
    >> a translator such as FX32! to automatically execute that file under the
    >> SYSTEM account on VMS. The SYSTEM account is necesary to ensure that the
    >> .EXE succeeds in doing what it is supposed to do (such as deposit files
    >> in system directories, modifying system files etc etc). When you
    >> consider the volume of mails containing such files, VMS is quite late in
    >> implementing automated suppport for them.

    >But after reading that I conclude that it was not serious.
    >
    >I just don't see the real point.
    >
    >Arne

+ Reply to Thread