How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot? - VMS

This is a discussion on How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot? - VMS ; Hi Folks, I have two rx1600s that have been recently upgraded to V8.3-1H1 and had the latest patches (as of 25-Dec) installed. I remember being able to have these automatically reboot -- but that was a long time ago. I ...

  1. How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    Hi Folks,

    I have two rx1600s that have been recently upgraded
    to V8.3-1H1 and had the latest patches (as of 25-Dec)
    installed.

    I remember being able to have these automatically
    reboot -- but that was a long time ago. I only have
    a VT520 connected to the serial port. There is no
    management console.

    On a power-up or shutdown with restart, it gets as far
    as the boot manager menu and waits, and waits, and
    waits despite the automatic reboot timer being set to 10
    seconds. I cannot notice any errors or "odd" messages
    during the boot and POST phases.

    Does anyone have a definitive guide to getting these
    beasts to reboot as requested. If they can't do it then
    they are of no use whatsoever in a production
    environment.

    Dave

  2. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    And some more info that I should have probably
    included in the last message...

    It is OpenVMS...
    on an rx1600, system firmware 2.11 [4445]
    BMC version 3.48
    EFI boot manager 1.10 [14.62]

    Dave

  3. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    If it used to auto reboot something changed to cause the
    system disk or it's signature to change, or for the boot otions
    list to change. There are many ways for this to happen.

    If you upgraded from V8.3 to V8.3-1h1 you should have been
    given the option to add or change a boot option. You could have fixed
    this then. At this point you can change it at the EFI shell using
    vms_bcfg, or on the running system using @sys$manager:boot_options.com.

    Forrest Kenney

    David B Sneddon wrote:

    > And some more info that I should have probably
    > included in the last message...
    >
    > It is OpenVMS...
    > on an rx1600, system firmware 2.11 [4445]
    > BMC version 3.48
    > EFI boot manager 1.10 [14.62]
    >
    > Dave

  4. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    On Dec 29, 7:55 am, Forrest Kenney wrote:
    > If it used to auto reboot something changed to cause the
    > system disk or it's signature to change, or for the boot otions
    > list to change. There are many ways for this to happen.
    >
    > If you upgraded from V8.3 to V8.3-1h1 you should have been
    > given the option to add or change a boot option. You could have fixed
    > this then. At this point you can change it at the EFI shell using
    > vms_bcfg, or on the running system using @sys$manager:boot_options.com.
    >
    > Forrest Kenney

    I have used boot_option.com and have removed and recreated
    the boot option... no change.

    Dave

  5. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    In article
    <143e0d4a-cf13-4193-a56f-1abdd0d90a81@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    David B Sneddon wrote:

    > On Dec 29, 7:55 am, Forrest Kenney wrote:
    > > If it used to auto reboot something changed to cause the
    > > system disk or it's signature to change, or for the boot otions
    > > list to change. There are many ways for this to happen.
    > >
    > > If you upgraded from V8.3 to V8.3-1h1 you should have been
    > > given the option to add or change a boot option. You could have fixed
    > > this then. At this point you can change it at the EFI shell using
    > > vms_bcfg, or on the running system using @sys$manager:boot_options.com.
    > >
    > > Forrest Kenney

    > I have used boot_option.com and have removed and recreated
    > the boot option... no change.
    >
    > Dave

    Auto-boot may be blocked by a "stop boot" condition detected by the
    firmware. You should see a message about this, before the Boot Manager
    menu is displayed. You can also go to the EFI shell and use the "info
    warning" command to see if there is a stop boot.

    Does the first boot option listed in the menu boot the system when you
    select it manually?

    -- Robert

  6. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    On Dec 28, 2007 8:19 PM, David B Sneddon wrote:
    > On Dec 29, 7:55 am, Forrest Kenney wrote:
    > > If it used to auto reboot something changed to cause the
    > > system disk or it's signature to change, or for the boot otions
    > > list to change. There are many ways for this to happen.
    > >
    > > If you upgraded from V8.3 to V8.3-1h1 you should have been
    > > given the option to add or change a boot option. You could have fixed
    > > this then. At this point you can change it at the EFI shell using
    > > vms_bcfg, or on the running system using @sys$manager:boot_options.com.
    > >
    > > Forrest Kenney

    > I have used boot_option.com and have removed and recreated
    > the boot option... no change.
    >
    > Dave

    I've glanced at the 8.3 patches and there are some that mess around
    with the EFI.

    Are you patched up?

    WWWebb

  7. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    On Jan 2, 2:09 pm, Robert Deininger
    wrote:

    > Auto-boot may be blocked by a "stop boot" condition detected by the
    > firmware. You should see a message about this, before the Boot Manager
    > menu is displayed. You can also go to the EFI shell and use the "info
    > warning" command to see if there is a stop boot.
    >
    > Does the first boot option listed in the menu boot the system when you
    > select it manually?
    >
    > -- Robert

    There is no message before the boot manager menu (except
    that it will autoboot in 10 seconds... this flashes up
    for a brief moment and is replaced by other text).
    The "info warning" command reveals that there are no
    "stop boot" conditions.
    "info boot" indicates that autoboot is ON with a 10 second
    timeout.
    When selecting the first menu option, yes the system boots.

    Dave

  8. Re: How to get an Integrity to auto-reboot?

    On Jan 3, 12:17 am, "William Webb" wrote:
    > I've glanced at the 8.3 patches and there are some that mess around
    > with the EFI.
    >
    > Are you patched up?
    >
    > WWWebb

    Fully patched i.e. the three patches (current as of today) have
    been installed.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread