Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS - VMS ; On Jan 7, 12:13 pm, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) wrote: > In article , Doug Phillips writes: > > > On Jan 2, 8:02 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob > > Koehler) wrote: > > >> Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article <0388776f-1cca-4daa-b688-da6908006...@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:
    >
    > > On Jan 2, 8:02 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > > Koehler) wrote:

    > >> Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly to
    > >> set terminal/inquire, which should fix the real problem you seem to
    > >> be up against.

    > > How so? Which term/device value recognizable by VMS should the
    > > emulator use to identify itself?

    > set terminal/inquire sends out a well documented sequence, and the
    > response is also well documented.
    >
    > The problem is that a lot of poor terminal emulators will lie.

    Hmm. A "properly written" terminal emulator should send out the same
    sequence as the actual terminal it's emulating, so there would be no
    way to distinguish it from the real thing. A "poor terminal emulator"
    could be identified if it "lied" in a consistent and unique way.

  2. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28 2007, 9:22 pm, "John E. Malmberg"
    wrote:

    > > We use this all the time to set the title bar. It works with Reflection 9
    > > thru 12 that I know of.

    > It also works with Reflections 5.20. The online documentation showed it as:
    >
    > WRQCMD = Dcs1234;Ps{St, but does not document the value for Ps,
    > which is the ASCII 0.
    >
    > I can now set the title bar on WRQ R2, Putty, IVT, and DECTerms from
    > running a single command file.
    >
    > http://encompasserve.org/~malmberg/dcl/set_window.txt
    >
    > More work is obviously needed on properly detecting which emulator is
    > running.

    A quick hack that detects Reflection and PowerTerm (using some logic
    stolen from here and elsewhere

    +++
    $! See if we're using Reflection or PowerTerm
    $!
    $ set noon
    $ esc[0,8]=%X1B
    $ Emulator = "Unknown"
    $ had_echo = ""
    $ if .not. f$getdvi(f$logical("TT"), "TT_NOECHO") then -
    had_echo := /ECHO
    $ had_esc = ""
    $ if .not. f$getdvi(f$logical("TT"), "TT_ESCAPE") then -
    had_escape := /NOESCAPE
    $ set term/noecho/escape
    $ wait 00:00:00.5
    $!
    $! Check for the most commonly used emulator first
    $! because each failed test takes 2 seconds.
    $!
    $! see if it's Reflection
    $!
    $ read/prompt="''esc'[2h''esc'[0;1234c"-
    /error=Not_Ref/timeout=2 sys$command CHECK1
    $ if f$length(CHECK1) .eqs. 0 then goto Not_Ref
    $ Emulator = "Reflection"
    $ goto unlock
    $Not_Ref:
    $!
    $! see if it's PowerTerm
    $!
    $ read/prompt="''esc'P$tsend ""YES^M""''esc'\" -
    /error=Not_PT/timeout=2 sys$command CHECK1
    $ if CHECK1 .nes. "YES" then goto Not_PT
    $ Emulator = "PowerTerm"
    $ goto unlock
    $Not_PT:
    $!
    $! (other tests go when needed and found)
    $!
    $unlock:
    $ set term'had_echo''had_escape'
    $ write sys$output "''esc'[2lEmulator is ''Emulator'"
    $ define/nolog VT_EMULATOR 'Emulator'
    $!
    +++

    I someone figures out other emulators detection methods maybe they can
    fill in the blanks.

  3. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article <58a1267a-21c6-48b6-9afc-45c2d14a5d97@j78g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:

    > Hmm. A "properly written" terminal emulator should send out the same
    > sequence as the actual terminal it's emulating, so there would be no
    > way to distinguish it from the real thing. A "poor terminal emulator"
    > could be identified if it "lied" in a consistent and unique way.

    And a properly written emulator should accurately behave like the
    terminal its emulating. Many don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3