Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS - VMS ; VAXman- wrote: > In article , Thomas Dickey writes: >>xterm can be told to pretend that it's a vt420, etc. >>(That's the way to enable the rectangle feature). >>But I'll agree that it's not a complete VT400 or VT500. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

  1. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    VAXman- wrote:
    > In article <13na7047i814d44@corp.supernews.com>, Thomas Dickey writes:
    >>xterm can be told to pretend that it's a vt420, etc.
    >>(That's the way to enable the rectangle feature).
    >>But I'll agree that it's not a complete VT400 or VT500.

    > The rectangle features are where I have encountered some of the problems
    > with the emulators.

    > DECBI, DECFI, DECSLRM, DECSACE, DECDC, DECIC, DECCRA, DECCARA, DECRARA,
    > DECERA, DECFRA, DECSERA have all been problematic with the terminal em-
    > ulators. These do not typically fail to perform by themselves in simple
    > tests of these functions but combine them with other fucntions in a more
    > complex screen painting and things fall to pieces quickly. I've created
    > a number of tests and I've run them against real VT400 and VT500 series
    > (a VT420 and VT525) terminals for comparison. I would expect the output
    > of the emulators to result with the exact same display as seen on these
    > VTs; they do not.

    I'm interested in issues with xterm (of course). I did notice recently
    that xterm's not maintaining the invisible-attribute as a rectangle
    attribute (not simple to fix...).

    Someone had asked to have it maintain colors during rectangle ops
    ("like" Reflection, which does not appear to document it), so that's in
    my current development stuff. That's why I added the color feature to
    the corresponding vttest screen recently - to make it possible to
    compare results.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  2. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 10:16 am, AEF wrote:
    > On Dec 27, 8:17 pm, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    >
    > > VAXman-, @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > > > [snip]
    > > > I maintain a product that writes VT escape sequences. I have been plagued
    > > > in recent years by the terminal emulators claiming to be VT200/300/400 com-
    > > > patible when they are not. I have been urged to just modify the product to
    > > > work with Reflections as I was told *everybody* uses Reflections today.

    > > In my experience, Reflection (singular) remains THE most complete VT
    > > emulation available, and even includes something none of the others do,
    > > AFAIK: smooth scroll.

    > Quick question (QQ): Can you select an entire line by triple-clicking?
    > I have SmarTerm at work and this is one of my few gripes about it. You
    > cannot select an entire line without carefully dragging the mouse
    > pointer. I have trouble using the mouse that finely and have to
    > struggle to select ONLY ONE LINE.
    >
    > (Interestingly, our London office uses Reflection. I'll have to ask if
    > they can send me a copy.)

    With Refelection: If you move the cursor to the left of the line it
    changes from an "I" to a backwards-arrow, and if you left-click it
    will select the entire line. If you hold the click and drag the cursor
    down (or up) in the left margin it will select multiple lines (or
    release the click, move to another line and shift-click.)

    Don't know about SmarTerm; I thought I had it someplace on one of my
    PC's, but maybe it's at some other site, darned if I can find it now.
    I did find TeraTerm and PowerTerm and they don't have that "feature."

    I've have found that for me (with other Windows app's, too) clicking
    on the right side of text and dragging the highlight to the left is
    easier to control than going left-to-right.

  3. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 2:02 pm, Doug Phillips wrote:
    > On Dec 28, 10:16 am, AEF wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 27, 8:17 pm, David J Dachtera
    > > wrote:

    > > > In my experience, Reflection (singular) remains THE most complete VT
    > > > emulation available, and even includes something none of the others do,
    > > > AFAIK: smooth scroll.

    > > Quick question (QQ): Can you select an entire line by triple-clicking?
    > > I have SmarTerm at work and this is one of my few gripes about it. You
    > > cannot select an entire line without carefully dragging the mouse
    > > pointer. I have trouble using the mouse that finely and have to
    > > struggle to select ONLY ONE LINE.

    > > (Interestingly, our London office uses Reflection. I'll have to ask if
    > > they can send me a copy.)

    > With Refelection: If you move the cursor to the left of the line it
    > changes from an "I" to a backwards-arrow, and if you left-click it
    > will select the entire line. If you hold the click and drag the cursor
    > down (or up) in the left margin it will select multiple lines (or
    > release the click, move to another line and shift-click.)

    Interesting. So this way you can select a contiguous set of whole
    lines without having to precisely drag the mouse pointer just so.
    Cool.

    > Don't know about SmarTerm; I thought I had it someplace on one of my
    > PC's, but maybe it's at some other site, darned if I can find it now.
    > I did find TeraTerm and PowerTerm and they don't have that "feature."

    In SmarTerm if you double click it selects a word (with a few non-
    space characters [such as the period and colon, e.g.] also counting as
    word delimiters)
    but triple-clicking just results in nothing being selected.

    Thanks for checking!

    > I've have found that for me (with other Windows app's, too) clicking
    > on the right side of text and dragging the highlight to the left is
    > easier to control than going left-to-right.

    AEF

  4. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    I just heard back from one customer.

    He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    current version?

    He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    the VAXcave.

    To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    to miss this.

    Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:

    http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I just heard back from one customer.
    >
    > He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    > current version?

    http://www.attachmate.com/Products/H...on/ruo/ruo.htm

    has a link to "New Features in Reflection 14.0", so I would
    guess at 14.0 !

    > To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    > be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    > to miss this.

    > Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    It indeed looks rather straightforward.

    Any chance that they are running the screen with a non standard
    number of lines ?

    Arne

  6. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 2:00 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I just heard back from one customer.
    >
    > He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    > current version?

    Version 14 looks like the latest. V11 is the latest I have, too,
    though.

    > He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    > As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    > even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    > board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    > and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    > and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    > the VAXcave.
    >
    > To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    > be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    > to miss this.
    >
    > Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    Yep, that's pretty ugly;-)

    So, in that screen, it looks like the DISK2:[.FILECOPY] line is
    currently selected? Does the display "corruption" always follow below
    the selected line? It looks like the corrupted lines are displayed
    (attribute "reverse") in the correct positions, and then redisplayed
    at the left (col.1) of the Reflection window rather than the SMG
    window. A raw might do that. I certainly don't know for sure
    what's wrong, but it would be interesting to see the raw data that's
    being sent to the screen. I have had problems with SMG if I display
    control characters (not using an SMG command) within the SMG window.
    We stopped using SMG long ago when we built our own screen routines to
    do the things we wanted (for portability to other lesser OS's.)

  7. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article <3aaacc41-26c8-4548-aa23-8017fc4a8413@s27g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:

    >On Dec 28, 2:00 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> I just heard back from one customer.
    >>
    >> He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    >> current version?
    >>

    >Version 14 looks like the latest. V11 is the latest I have, too,
    >though.
    >
    >> He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    >> As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    >> even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    >> board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    >> and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    >> and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    >> the VAXcave.
    >>
    >> To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    >> be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    >> to miss this.
    >>
    >> Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:
    >>
    >> http://tmesis.com/temulator/
    >>

    >Yep, that's pretty ugly;-)
    >
    >So, in that screen, it looks like the DISK2:[.FILECOPY] line is
    >currently selected? Does the display "corruption" always follow below
    >the selected line? It looks like the corrupted lines are displayed
    >(attribute "reverse") in the correct positions, and then redisplayed
    >at the left (col.1) of the Reflection window rather than the SMG
    >window. A raw might do that. I certainly don't know for sure
    >what's wrong, but it would be interesting to see the raw data that's
    >being sent to the screen. I have had problems with SMG if I display
    >control characters (not using an SMG command) within the SMG window.
    >We stopped using SMG long ago when we built our own screen routines to
    >do the things we wanted (for portability to other lesser OS's.)

    Well, this works and works well on a VT220. I would/should expect that it
    display the same on a so-called VT220 emulator.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  8. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 4:32 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <3aaacc41-26c8-4548-aa23-8017fc4a8...@s27g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:
    >

    > >On Dec 28, 2:00 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > >> I just heard back from one customer.

    > >> He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    > >> current version?

    > >Version 14 looks like the latest. V11 is the latest I have, too,
    > >though.

    > >> He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    > >> As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    > >> even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    > >> board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    > >> and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    > >> and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    > >> the VAXcave.

    > >> To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    > >> be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    > >> to miss this.

    > >> Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:

    > >> http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    > >Yep, that's pretty ugly;-)

    > >So, in that screen, it looks like the DISK2:[.FILECOPY] line is
    > >currently selected? Does the display "corruption" always follow below
    > >the selected line? It looks like the corrupted lines are displayed
    > >(attribute "reverse") in the correct positions, and then redisplayed
    > >at the left (col.1) of the Reflection window rather than the SMG
    > >window. A raw might do that. I certainly don't know for sure
    > >what's wrong, but it would be interesting to see the raw data that's
    > >being sent to the screen. I have had problems with SMG if I display
    > >control characters (not using an SMG command) within the SMG window.
    > >We stopped using SMG long ago when we built our own screen routines to
    > >do the things we wanted (for portability to other lesser OS's.)

    > Well, this works and works well on a VT220. I would/should expect that it
    > display the same on a so-called VT220 emulator.
    >
    > --
    > VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM
    >
    > "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/drat.html

    We used to have problems with SMG only when the emulator (or sometimes
    a real terminal, for that matter) got set to different tab stops than
    the default one every 8 starting at 9. I'm too rusty in SMG to
    remember if that was easily worked around using SMG. We had the
    application save, force 8 character tabs, then restore on exit to
    eliminate the problem (which often looked like Brian's picture)

  9. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 2:00 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I just heard back from one customer.
    >
    > He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    > current version?
    >
    > He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    > As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    > even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    > board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    > and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    > and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    > the VAXcave.
    >
    > To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    > be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    > to miss this.
    >
    > Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:
    >
    > http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    Another thought. In Reflection's "Setup->Terminal" option box (tabbed)
    make sure the "Terminal Type" and "Emulation->Terminal ID" agree. If
    you tell VMS you have a VT400-7 (from Terminal Type) but Reflection is
    told to emulate something older, like a VT220, then SMG might be
    sending DEC_CRT4 commands that the emulation won't recognize. If
    they're set VT400-7 and VT420, then you _shouldn't_ have this problem
    unless there are some raw controls being sent (as I mentioned
    before.) Sorry I don't have an SMG built program here to test with.

  10. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Dec 28, 4:32 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article <3aaacc41-26c8-4548-aa23-8017fc4a8...@s27g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:
    >

    > >On Dec 28, 2:00 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > >> I just heard back from one customer.

    > >> He is using 'Reflection for UNIX and Digital' version 11.0. What is their
    > >> current version?

    > >Version 14 looks like the latest. V11 is the latest I have, too,
    > >though.

    > >> He is running a simple app I wrote which calls up SMG to do a menu function.
    > >> As he scrolls over items in the menu, they appear at the far left of window
    > >> even though the menu was in a virtual display pasted on the virtual paste-
    > >> board 6 characters to the right! This works just fine with a *real* VT220
    > >> and its younger bretheren. I could hook up the VT100 (yes, a *real* VT100)
    > >> and test it here too but there aren't too many of those in use outside of
    > >> the VAXcave.

    > >> To me, this is a pretty simple series of escape sequences. There shouldn't
    > >> be any reason for a piece of software calling itself a VT terminal emulation
    > >> to miss this.

    > >> Here's the image he sent me running the application that I wrote:

    > >> http://tmesis.com/temulator/

    > >Yep, that's pretty ugly;-)

    > >So, in that screen, it looks like the DISK2:[.FILECOPY] line is
    > >currently selected? Does the display "corruption" always follow below
    > >the selected line? It looks like the corrupted lines are displayed
    > >(attribute "reverse") in the correct positions, and then redisplayed
    > >at the left (col.1) of the Reflection window rather than the SMG
    > >window. A raw might do that. I certainly don't know for sure
    > >what's wrong, but it would be interesting to see the raw data that's
    > >being sent to the screen. I have had problems with SMG if I display
    > >control characters (not using an SMG command) within the SMG window.
    > >We stopped using SMG long ago when we built our own screen routines to
    > >do the things we wanted (for portability to other lesser OS's.)

    > Well, this works and works well on a VT220. I would/should expect that it
    > display the same on a so-called VT220 emulator.

    What happens if you log in on a real VT220 and SET TERM/
    DEVICE_TYPE=VT400 ? (I don't have a *real* VT220 anymore so I can't
    test that either.)

  11. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    >> >I am trying to find a way that I can set the titles of my R2 terminal
    >> >emulation session from VMS.

    >> >I am running Reflection R2 version 5.20

    We use this all the time to set the title bar. It works with Reflection 9
    thru 12 that I know of.

    Shael

    $!

    $! Initialization - Set up some useful symbols

    $!

    $ set noon

    $ ESC[0,8]=%X1B

    $ POSITION=ESC+"[22;1H"

    $!

    $! Define the WRQ command escape sequences.

    $!

    $ WRQ0=ESC+"P1234;0{"

    $ ST = ESC + "\"

    $ CMD=POSITION+WRQ0

    $!

    $ node = f$getsyi("NODENAME")

    $ process_name = f$getjpi("","PRCNAM")

    $ title = "PPR Node: ''node' -- Process: ''process_name' (''pc_username')"

    $!

    $! Set the Reflection window title.

    $!

    $ set terminal/nowrap

    $ wait 00:00:00.5

    $ write sys$output CMD+"set window-title ""''title'""" + ST

    $ write sys$output ""

    $ set terminal/wrap

    $!

  12. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article , Doug Phillips writes:

    >On Dec 28, 4:32 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    >> >Version 14 looks like the latest. V11 is the latest I have, too,
    >> >though.

    >> >Yep, that's pretty ugly;-)

    >> >So, in that screen, it looks like the DISK2:[.FILECOPY] line is
    >> >currently selected? Does the display "corruption" always follow below
    >> >the selected line? It looks like the corrupted lines are displayed
    >> >(attribute "reverse") in the correct positions, and then redisplayed
    >> >at the left (col.1) of the Reflection window rather than the SMG
    >> >window. A raw might do that. I certainly don't know for sure
    >> >what's wrong, but it would be interesting to see the raw data that's
    >> >being sent to the screen. I have had problems with SMG if I display
    >> >control characters (not using an SMG command) within the SMG window.
    >> >We stopped using SMG long ago when we built our own screen routines to
    >> >do the things we wanted (for portability to other lesser OS's.)

    >> Well, this works and works well on a VT220. I would/should expect that it
    >> display the same on a so-called VT220 emulator.
    >>

    >What happens if you log in on a real VT220 and SET TERM/
    >DEVICE_TYPE=VT400 ? (I don't have a *real* VT220 anymore so I can't
    >test that either.)

    'Tis late here. I'll check that tomorrow.

    As for TABs, I'd doubt it. The menu items are 6 characters from the left.
    I don't believe SMG would set tabs at such an odd spacing and hope to rely
    on it.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  13. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > As for TABs, I'd doubt it. The menu items are 6 characters from the left.
    > I don't believe SMG would set tabs at such an odd spacing and hope to rely
    > on it.

    I would not count that out, SMG by default does not change the TAB
    setting, but some applications do. I know that one of the text editors
    did if you changed the tab stops, and then a number of SMG applications
    run after that point would not display correctly.

    If someone does a "save" on the emulator, it can be saved with many
    non-standard settings, including some that can not be changed from the
    setup menus.

    I had an issue where somehow some of my pre-set emulator settings were
    saved in insert mode.

    Interestingly set term/inquire would fix it, but the only fix I found
    was to save the emulator with the correct settings.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  14. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    ksrich@bellsouth.net wrote:

    > We use this all the time to set the title bar. It works with Reflection 9
    > thru 12 that I know of.

    It also works with Reflections 5.20. The online documentation showed it as:

    WRQCMD = Dcs1234;Ps{St, but does not document the value for Ps,
    which is the ASCII 0.

    I can now set the title bar on WRQ R2, Putty, IVT, and DECTerms from
    running a single command file.

    http://encompasserve.org/~malmberg/dcl/set_window.txt

    More work is obviously needed on properly detecting which emulator is
    running.

    Thanks,
    -John

  15. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article , "John E. Malmberg" writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>
    >> As for TABs, I'd doubt it. The menu items are 6 characters from the left.
    >> I don't believe SMG would set tabs at such an odd spacing and hope to rely
    >> on it.

    >I would not count that out, SMG by default does not change the TAB
    >setting, but some applications do. I know that one of the text editors
    >did if you changed the tab stops, and then a number of SMG applications
    >run after that point would not display correctly.
    >
    >If someone does a "save" on the emulator, it can be saved with many
    >non-standard settings, including some that can not be changed from the
    >setup menus.
    >
    >I had an issue where somehow some of my pre-set emulator settings were
    >saved in insert mode.
    >
    >Interestingly set term/inquire would fix it, but the only fix I found
    >was to save the emulator with the correct settings.

    OK. Let's put the tabs to rest. I captured the output from this app
    while running and NO TABS are in any of the captured data. I ran and
    captured the data on a VT220, VT420 and a VT525. Nearly *all* of the
    drawing is by direct cursor addressing: CUP (esc [ {line{ ; {col} H),
    and ED and EL (esc [ {param} J|K). The only other cursor movement se-
    quences were CUU and CUD (esc [ A|B) when I depressed the keyboard's
    arrow keys to move the highlighted SGR (esc [ {params} m :: where in
    this case, params were 7 and 0) item in the menu.

    In addition, I setup different tab stops in each of the three profile
    sessions on my VT525. Normal tabs, no tabs and tabs set at the values
    of the fibonacci series (1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55). The result in each of
    the sessions was identical.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    John E. Malmberg wrote:

    > http://encompasserve.org/~malmberg/dcl/set_window.txt

    xterm's DA response depends on how it is started

    -ti term_id
    Specify the name used by xterm to select the correct
    response to terminal ID queries. It also specifies
    the emulation level, used to determine the type of
    response to a DA control sequence. Valid values
    include vt52, vt100, vt101, vt102, and vt220 (the
    "vt" is optional). The default is vt100. The
    term_id argument specifies the terminal ID to use.
    (This is the same as the decTerminalID resource).

    Here are a few possibilities (cut/paste from vttest):

    <27> [ ? 1 ; 2 c
    <27> [ ? 6 2 ; 1 ; 2 ; 6 ; 8 ; 9 ; 1 5 ; 2 2 ; 2 9 c
    <27> [ ? 6 3 ; 1 ; 2 ; 6 ; 8 ; 9 ; 1 5 ; 2 2 ; 2 9 c
    <27> [ ? 6 4 ; 1 ; 2 ; 6 ; 8 ; 9 ; 1 5 ; 2 2 ; 2 9 c

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  17. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article , "John E. Malmberg" writes:
    > I am trying to find a way that I can set the titles of my R2 terminal
    > emulation session from VMS.
    >
    > I am running Reflection R2 version 5.20
    >
    > This is so that after the frequent reboots of the PC, I can reconnect to
    > the existing sessions on VMS and then just run a script or program to
    > fix the titles.
    >
    > Ideally I would want to identify the terminal emulator in use so that I
    > can have one script work for what ever is in use.

    Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly to
    set terminal/inquire, which should fix the real problem you seem to
    be up against.

  18. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , "John E. Malmberg" writes:
    >> I am trying to find a way that I can set the titles of my R2 terminal
    >> emulation session from VMS.
    >>
    >> I am running Reflection R2 version 5.20
    >>
    >> This is so that after the frequent reboots of the PC, I can reconnect to
    >> the existing sessions on VMS and then just run a script or program to
    >> fix the titles.
    >>
    >> Ideally I would want to identify the terminal emulator in use so that I
    >> can have one script work for what ever is in use.
    >>

    > Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly to
    > set terminal/inquire, which should fix the real problem you seem to
    > be up against.

    Set Term/Inquire does not know about many of the terminal emulators out
    there, and does not probe for the many of the capabilities.

    Many of the terminal emulators are configured by default or by their
    users to lie about what they really are.

    -John
    wb8tyw@qsl.network
    Personal Opinion Only

  19. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    On Jan 2, 8:02 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    Koehler) wrote:
    > In article , "John E. Malmberg" writes:
    >
    > > I am trying to find a way that I can set the titles of my R2 terminal
    > > emulation session from VMS.

    > > I am running Reflection R2 version 5.20

    > > This is so that after the frequent reboots of the PC, I can reconnect to
    > > the existing sessions on VMS and then just run a script or program to
    > > fix the titles.

    > > Ideally I would want to identify the terminal emulator in use so that I
    > > can have one script work for what ever is in use.

    > Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly to
    > set terminal/inquire, which should fix the real problem you seem to
    > be up against.

    How so? Which term/device value recognizable by VMS should the
    emulator use to identify itself?

  20. Re: Setting Reflection 2 window titles from VMS

    In article <0388776f-1cca-4daa-b688-da6908006cc5@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, Doug Phillips writes:
    > On Jan 2, 8:02 am, koeh...@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob
    > Koehler) wrote:
    >>
    >> Properly written terminal emulators will respond correctly to
    >> set terminal/inquire, which should fix the real problem you seem to
    >> be up against.

    > How so? Which term/device value recognizable by VMS should the
    > emulator use to identify itself?

    set terminal/inquire sends out a well documented sequence, and the
    response is also well documented.

    The problem is that a lot of poor terminal emulators will lie.