Volume label. - VMS

This is a discussion on Volume label. - VMS ; On Dec 25, 8:05 am, FrankS wrote: > On Dec 24, 3:12 pm, JF Mezei wrote: > > > consider the following: > > > $DEFINE/qualifiers SYSUAF $11$DQA0:[shared]sysuaf.dat > > > without a trans=terminal, someone could define a logical name ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 42 of 42

  1. Re: Volume label.

    On Dec 25, 8:05 am, FrankS wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 3:12 pm, JF Mezei wrote:
    >
    > > consider the following:

    > > $DEFINE/qualifiers SYSUAF $11$DQA0:[shared]sysuaf.dat

    > > without a trans=terminal, someone could define a logical name $11$dqa0
    > > to point to another drive (or one they created with the LDdriver).

    > In addition to the other comments about how a malicious user would
    > need SYSNAM to really have an impact, and how /TRANS=TERMINAL doesn't
    > necessarily stop iterative translation,

    Who said that? Perhaps you meant something else. The only exmaple I
    can think of is stuff like this:

    $ DEFINE BLAH DKA0:[HELLO]/TRAN=TERM
    $ SET DEFAULT BLAH
    $ DEFINE DKA0 DKA100:

    Or if you capture the result of F$TRNLNM("") and use that.

    Perhaps you meant defining it in another table or access mode that
    occurs earlier in the search algorithm? If so, that's not what you
    said.

    this definition would be a
    > sign of a bad systems manager. Using a physical device name like this
    > is just bad style and can make transitioning to other disk interfaces
    > a nightmare. Given the $MOUNT syntax of
    >
    > $ MOUNT /SYSTEM _$11$DQA0: volume_label logical_name
    >
    > then the worst-case reference to this drive should be either through
    > the "logical_name" on the $MOUNT command line or the DISK$volume_label
    > logical that gets created by OpenVMS. I'll give you the benefit of
    > the doubt, though, that this was just an example from you and not
    > something you really do on a production system.

    Well, what about these:

    "SYS$COMMON" [exec] = "DSA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.]" [concealed,terminal]
    "SYS$SPECIFIC" [exec] = "DSA0:[SYS0.]" [concealed,terminal]
    "SYS$SYSDEVICE" [exec] = "DSA0:" [concealed,terminal]
    "SYS$SYSROOT" [exec] = "DSA0:[SYS0.]" [concealed,terminal]

    OK, you're not likely to change the system disk on a running system!
    So you're still right.

    > If a physical device name is really what one wants (despite all the
    > valid reasons to avoid doing that), then the more appropriate syntax
    > would be:
    >
    > $ DEFINE /qualifiers SYSUAF _$11$DQA0:[SHARED]SYSUAF.DAT
    >
    > That would preclude a redefinition from interfering with the system
    > managers intention. I'll leave the "/qualifiers" open since that's
    > how you show it.

    You want /TRANSLATION_ATTRIBUTES=TERMINAL:

    $ DEFINE BLAH DSA0:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP
    $ DIRECTORY/NOHEAD/NOTRAI BLAH
    DSA1:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP;1

    $ DEFINE DSA0 DSA1:
    %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of DSA0 has been superseded
    $ DIRECTORY/NOHEAD/NOTRAI BLAH
    DSA1:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP;1

    $ DEFINE BLAH _DSA0:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP
    %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of BLAH has been superseded
    $ DIRECTORY/NOHEAD/NOTRAI BLAH
    DSA1:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP;1

    $ DEFINE _DSA0 DSA1:
    %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of _DSA0 has been superseded
    $ DIRECTORY/NOHEAD/NOTRAI BLAH
    DSA1:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP;1

    $ DEFINE BLAH _DSA0:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP /TRANS=TERMINAL
    %DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of BLAH has been superseded
    $ DIRECTORY/NOHEAD/NOTRAI BLAH
    _DSA0:[FELDMAN]BLAH.TMP;10

    $ SH SYS/NOPROCESS
    OpenVMS V6.2 on node NODEX 25-DEC-2007 15:29:57.84 Uptime 34
    05:30:29

    You still need /TRAN=TERM. And to avoid mischievous redirection
    involving important system components, you need to use executive and
    kernel mode logical names.

    AEF

  2. Re: Volume label.

    In article <476bf54e$0$25334$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, JF Mezei writes:
    > AEF wrote:
    >
    >> The second case won't work because you forgot to include the trailing
    >> colon and because you didn't omit "term" in the command that defines
    >> $MYROOT.

    > Which is my point. If you want to define a logical that behaves exactly
    > like that of the logical created when you mount a drive, you need to
    > have it translate directly because that logical might be used in
    > situations where it is translated to form a new "translation=terminal"
    > logical.

    The logical that is created by MOUNT is the only one which you will
    get with F$GETDVI(,"LOGVOLNAM"), or the $GETDVI equivalent.
    DEFINE and ASSIGN will not set the flag (link?) that makes this so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3