On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Tim Travis,City of Lincoln I.S.,402-441-7763 wrote:

> Does someone know what would cause the time difference between the
> "Received:" and "Date:" headers for locally sent email? The "Received:"
> header shows a time of 40 minutes after the "Date:" time.

The Date: header is usually put in by the client and so you need to know
if the client can properly tell time. You also need to know if the
message actually was delivered by the client to the smtp server at the
time the message creation started or did it get delayed for some reason.

The only time that I would find useful here is the time in the first
received header, that is when the smtp server actually got the message.

--
Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS : "Anybody can be a father
Athabasca University : but you have to earn