looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo - VMS

This is a discussion on looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo - VMS ; I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one, like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg Pointers ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
    address. Thanks.

    BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
    wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
    and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
    is there already one there that I somehow missed?

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  2. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

    >I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    >photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    >like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
    >
    >Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
    >address. Thanks.
    >
    >BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
    >wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
    >and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
    >is there already one there that I somehow missed?

    I have a .PNG that is the maroon red color. With some image software, you
    could easily change the color mask to blue. Will that do?

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  3. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    >In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    >>

    >>I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >>logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    >>photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    >>like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    >I have a .PNG that is the maroon red color. With some image software, you
    >could easily change the color mask to blue. Will that do?

    There is another difference between the maroon and blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.

    (I wonder if anyone ever created a font based on either logo)

  4. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    In article , moroney@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:

    >VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
    >
    >>In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    >>>

    >>>I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >>>logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    >>>photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    >>>like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    >>I have a .PNG that is the maroon red color. With some image software, you
    >>could easily change the color mask to blue. Will that do?

    >There is another difference between the maroon and blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.
    >
    >(I wonder if anyone ever created a font based on either logo)

    Very little work would be needed to make squares out of those round dots.

    I googled and found a black .GIF with square dots. The resolution isn't
    as nice as the .PNG I have but you could change that .GIF to blue easily
    too.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  5. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    On Dec 14, 11:22 am, kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow)
    wrote:
    > I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    > logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    > photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    > like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
    >
    > Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
    > address. Thanks.

    How about a 1962 logo? It's scanned but it's better than nothing.

    http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/logos/

    See also http://vt100.net/dec/logo

    That's enough free research for you on a Friday afternoon :-)

    Cheers,
    .../Ed

  6. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    In article ,
    kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

    > I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older)
    > |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic
    > software rather than photographed or scanned. All I've been able to
    > find is the later red one, like this:
    > http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    I got a monochrome PostScript version from the senior engineer whose
    commute will become shorter with our move to Massachusetts. He also had
    a DECpresent version but perhaps the PostScript one will be more useful.
    Let me know if you want either one.

    Paul

    --
    Paul Anderson
    OpenVMS Engineering

  7. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    On Dec 14, 6:22 pm, kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow)
    wrote:
    > I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    > logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    > photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    > like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
    >
    > Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
    > address. Thanks.

    Digital (bars) - digital_logo_bleu.gif (GIF Image, 106x37 pixels)
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....fb1e812?hl=en&

    Digital (bars) - animated - digital-red-blue-peel-blur.gif (GIF Image,
    124x40 pixels)
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/ima...-peel-blur.gif

    Digital (bars) - purple-dec-logo.gif (GIF Image, 200x100 pixels)
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....fb1e812?hl=en&

    Digital (bars) - digital.gif (GIF Image, 250x78 pixels) - Wayback
    Machine
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....fb1e812?hl=en&

    > BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
    > wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
    > and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
    > is there already one there that I somehow missed?

    Digital Alumni Website
    http://www.decalumni.com/

    Digital Semiconductor Alumni home page
    http://www.bershad.com/ds/

    DIGITAL Workstations Engineering Alumni & Alumnae Page
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1than/dwsalum.htm

    Illinois & Wisconsin Former Digital Equipment Corporation Employees
    http://www.exdec.org/

    oud digital; digital; reunie - Digital Netherlands Reunion
    http://www.ouddigital.nl/

    Southern California Digital Equipment Corporation Alumni web site
    http://www.socaldec.org/

    Welkom bij DECnet - Nederland Ex-employé Trefpunt
    http://www.decnet.nl/

    DECwest Alumni
    http://www.decwestalumni.org/

    DECwest Storage Group Alumni - Wayback Machine
    http://web.archive.org/web/200608211...s.com/storage/

    DEC Notes Conference for DEC_ALUMNI
    http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?s.../11/29/6804517

    Neil Rieck's *DEC Memorial Site* - Wayback Machine
    http://web.archive.org/web/200412080...rial_site.html

    *DECadence - using Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine*
    http://web.archive.org/web/200306021...e/e_index.html

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  8. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    Oops! Soory, I had a little mistake with Cut&Paste - thrice!

    Digital (bars) - digital_logo_bleu.gif (GIF Image, 106x37
    http://oase.uci.ru.nl/~polf/digital/..._logo_bleu.gif

    http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/compute...e-dec-logo.gif

    Digital (bars) - digital.gif (GIF Image, 250x78 pixels) - Wayback
    Machine
    http://web.archive.org/web/200401171...im/digital.gif

    Cheers!

    Keith

  9. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    In article , moroney@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:
    > There is another difference between the maroon and blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    > logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.

    Sharp eye! I never caught the change, but even my pdp-8 front panel has
    square dots over the eyes.

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  10. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    Paul Anderson wrote:
    > I got a monochrome PostScript version from the senior engineer whose
    > commute will become shorter with our move to Massachusetts.

    Would be interested in it. Is is the pre-Palmer logo, or the post Palmer
    era logo ? (ega: suare dots on I or round ones ) ?

  11. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    >> logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.

    > Sharp eye! I never caught the change, but even my pdp-8 front panel has
    > square dots over the eyes.

    You don't remember when Palmer took office ? One of the first things he
    decided to do was to give Digital a new image by changing its logo. The
    type of red/maroon was slightly changed, the dots on i's were changed,
    and as I have now learned on the vt100.net site, the shape of the "a"
    was ever so slightly altered.

    Lots of people joked about how much this change would cost Digital just
    to change the colour a little bit and put rounded dots. The rounded
    dots, according to an obviously highl;y paid PR firm, was to send a
    message that Digital would now be friendlier and more flexible than a
    "rigid" Digital with square dots.

    If there is interest, and Mr anderson gives me the .ps file, I could
    generate .PDFs and other artwork format as well as properly scaled
    images of the Dec logo.

  12. RE: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    [snip ...]

    Speaking of Palmer days .. One of the things I remember was him sending an
    email to the entire Manufacturing Org + lots of other parts of the company
    congratulating a group on getting one of the Alpha products to market in
    a very tight timeframe ( I forget which one it was).

    Oh yeah, the interesting part was that it was a VMSmail - not All-In-1
    as the entire Manufacturing org was one of the last hold-outs. Being the
    pack rat I am, I could likely did that memo out - ah well ..

    :-)

    Regards

    Kerry Main
    Senior Consultant
    HP Services Canada
    Voice: 613-592-4660
    Fax: 613-591-4477
    kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
    (remove the DOT's and AT)

  13. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

    >I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    >photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    >like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    Anyone running an old (pre-1993, maybe later) version of VMS w/DECwindows
    has the blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo on their system. The one that displays
    on the screen before you login. I don't remember the file name other than
    it doesn't have a normal (.gif/jpg/whatever) extension.

  14. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

    Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the mother
    lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
    ultimate logo reference:

    http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html

    > BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
    > wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
    > and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
    > is there already one there that I somehow missed?

    And I've discovered that there isn't one but at least TWO DEC alumni groups
    on LinkdIn already. But they don't show up on the rather small group index
    pages. At least one of the creators wants to merge the two into one if
    possible. Those ex-DECcies on LinkedIn can go to

    https://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/31829/5C2521314E46/

    and/or

    http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/28209/0A356A3C554C

    Alas, one uses the Palmer era red logo (a remnant of all the red ink from
    his era), and the other a logo that doesn't incorporate the 7 lower case
    block letters we all know and love. That will have to change!

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
    you wouldn't be able to find it.

  15. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    On 2007-12-17 17:36, "Bob Kaplow" wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the mother
    > lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
    > ultimate logo reference:
    >
    > http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Alas, one uses the Palmer era red logo (a remnant of all the red ink from
    > his era), [...]

    Does anyone happen to know the colours (CMYK values preferred very much)
    of the "blue" and/or "red" variants?

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  16. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    > Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the
    > mother
    > lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
    > ultimate logo reference:
    >
    > http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html

    Here is a copy of a note I just sent Ned that some here may find
    interesting;

    Hi Ned,

    I was just catching up on my comp.os.vms reading and saw the thread about
    the DEC Logo. A few years ago I was looking for information about the DEC
    Logo because I wanted to build logo like buttons on my website (a quick look
    at www.weaverconsulting.ca would show you what I mean). I found two versions
    of the DEC Logo in .PS files, one was the one you put on your blog and the
    other was in a document named "Before You Install DEC InstantSQL for Rdb/VMS
    Version 1.1" (AV-PM4KB-TE). The second version had your history of the logo
    and complete comments on the characters as you drew them so it was easier to
    understand than the first one. Here is a copy of the details if you want to
    add it to your blog.

    %> Postamble of file USER1:[AXTELL.FETCH]000_INSTANTSQL_BYI.DVI_PS.
    % DefineFont:F206 Category:15 Pointsize:14
    % DownloadPSFont
    %!PS-Adobe-2.0
    %%Title: PostScript Digital Logo Font, v1.1
    %%Creator: Ned Batchelder
    %%CreationDate: 9-Nov-87
    %%DocumentFonts: Symbol
    %%DocumentSuppliedFonts: DigitalLogo
    %%EndComments
    %
    % DIGITAL INTERNAL USE ONLY
    %
    % INTRODUCTION:
    % This rendition of the Digital logo was prepared by Ned Batchelder using
    % Adobe Illustrator and hand manipulation of the resulting PostScript code.
    % Photographic masters of the logo were obtained from David Comberg in the
    % Graphic Design Group. Additional consultation was provided by Elliot
    % Hendrickson, one of the original designers of the logo.
    %
    % USE:
    % This file defines a new PostScript font, called /DigitalLogo. It consists
    % of three characters. (d) is the entire Digital logo, (t) is a small
    % trademark symbol, and (T) is a large trademark symbol. The font is
    designed
    % so that the argument to scalefont is the height of the logo. There is no
    % extra white space around the logo at all. The trademarks are designed to
    be
    % shown right after the logo, and they align themselves. The only correct
    % strings to show with this font are (d), (dt), and (dT). There is an entry
    % (named GapWidth) in the font dictionary which gives the unscaled width of
    % the gap between the blocks. This distance is given because it is used as a
    % unit to determine how much space to leave around the logo.
    %
    % HISTORY:
    % The logo was designed in 1957 by Elliot Hendrickson, who was then working
    % as an independent designer. He was contracted by DEC to do a brochure, and
    % DEC wanted a logo to accompany it. The logo up to then had been the
    letters
    % DEC in blocks the shape of the plug-in cards that DEC had been producing.
    % Elliot re-worked the logo, incorporating letters which were hand-drawn for
    % the purpose by Arthur Hover(?). The logo has been maintained since then in
    % conventional technology, ie, film masters. There was at least one
    reworking
    % of the logo at some point.
    %
    % The masters I received had a number of interesting features. The boxes
    were
    % not all the same width, and there seemed to be no logic to which boxes
    were
    % wider. The 'g' was the narrowest, and the 'i' and 'l' were second widest.
    % Also, the two 'i's were not exactly the same shape. On ten-inch masters,
    % (one box to an 8½x11 sheet), the boxes were not rectangles, but were very
    % slightly tapered in wierd ways. I assume that the tapering is the result
    of
    % too many reproductions, but the difference in widths may have been
    % deliberate at some time. Elliot reports that when he drew it, all boxes
    % were the same width. I have retained the different widths in my version,
    % since the experts I had at hand did not seem to think I should make them
    % uniform.
    %
    % Please feel free to use this logo, but keep in mind the following:
    %
    % 1. This code is for INTERNAL USE ONLY.
    % 2. I am not entirely happy with the final shapes of the letters, and am
    % hoping to improve them. Please allow for future updates to this code.
    % 3. Only use this logo within the guidelines of the Corporate Identity
    % program. If you use this font precisely as is, you can't get in much
    % trouble. Don't take the shapes and do strange things with them.
    % In particular, the Identity states that the logo is a one-color logo: The
    % letters are actually holes in the blocks, through which the background can
    % be seen. Do not modify this code so that the letters are always white.
    %
    % Edit history:
    %
    % 21-Sep-87 nmb Created as a standalone file with demo.
    % 6-Nov-87 nmb Converted to font form.
    % 9-Nov-87 nmb Removed // uses for compatibility with LW Classics
    %

    %%BeginFont: DigitalLogo
    10 dict begin

    /FontInfo 3 dict def
    FontInfo begin
    /Notice
    (The Digital logo is a registered trademark of Digital Equipment
    Corporation.)
    def
    /FullName (Digital logo) def
    /version (1.1) def
    end

    /FontType 3 def % This is a user-defined font
    /FontMatrix matrix def % Use an identity transform
    /FontBBox [ 0 0 3.383 1 ] def % Logo itself is biggest
    /GapWidth .070 def % The width of the gap between boxes

    /Encoding 256 array def
    0 1 255 { Encoding exch /.notdef put } bind for

    Encoding
    dup (d) 0 get /DEC-logo put % (d) gives logo
    dup (t) 0 get /smalltrademark put % (t) gives small trademark
    (T) 0 get /largetrademark put % (T) gives large trademark

    /Work 15 dict def % for doing work in font.

    /BuildChar {
    exch begin % Use the font dictionary
    Work begin
    Encoding exch get % Look up the character name
    load % Pull out the procedure
    exec % Run it.
    end % Work
    end % fontdict
    } bind def

    Work begin

    /.notdef {} def

    %
    % - `DEC-logo' -
    %
    % Images a DEC logo with the lower left corner at the current origin, with a
    % height of one unit, in the current color.
    %

    /m /moveto load def
    /l /lineto load def
    /c /curveto load def

    /DEC-logo {
    3.383 0 0 0 3.383 1 setcachedevice
    { % D
    % d counter
    .2930 .3513 m
    .2932 .3217 .2587 .2758 .2167 .2757 c
    .1719 .2759 .1280 .3165 .1280 .3977 c
    .1280 .4801 .1718 .5225 .2153 .5227 c
    .2587 .5225 .2932 .4760 .2930 .4407 c
    closepath
    % d outside
    .2953 .5787 m
    .2953 .7600 l
    .3843 .7600 l
    .3843 .1960 l
    .2923 .1960 l
    .2923 .2220 l
    .2848 .2144 .2531 .1813 .1990 .1813 c
    .1426 .1812 .0417 .2282 .0417 .3977 c
    .0417 .5414 .1171 .6157 .2067 .6157 c
    .2399 .6157 .2725 .6039 .2953 .5787 c
    closepath
    % d box
    .432 0.0 m
    .432 1.0 l
    .000 1.0 l
    .000 0.0 l
    closepath
    } exec
    { % I
    % i box
    .927 0.0 m
    .927 1.0 l
    .502 1.0 l
    .502 0.0 l
    closepath
    % i body
    .6695 .196 m
    .6695 .600 l
    .7595 .600 l
    .7595 .196 l
    closepath
    % i dot
    .6695 .655 m
    .6695 .755 l
    .7595 .755 l
    .7595 .655 l
    closepath
    } exec
    { % G
    % g counter
    1.2813 .4478 m
    1.2813 .4837 1.2409 .5208 1.2035 .5208 c
    1.1713 .5208 1.1215 .5003 1.1215 .4084 c
    1.1215 .3105 1.1827 .2962 1.2030 .2962 c
    1.2433 .2962 1.2813 .3239 1.2813 .3667 c
    closepath
    % g box
    0.997 1.0 m
    1.415 1.0 l
    1.415 0.0 l
    0.997 0.0 l
    closepath
    % g outside
    1.2822 .5609 m
    1.2729 .5742 1.2424 .6044 1.1988 .6044 c
    1.1311 .6043 1.0367 .5652 1.0367 .3955 c
    1.0368 .2617 1.1437 .2168 1.1876 .2168 c
    1.2350 .2167 1.2702 .2443 1.2798 .2547 c
    1.2798 .2126 l
    1.2798 .1815 1.2479 .1511 1.1945 .1511 c
    1.1485 .1512 1.1437 .1807 1.1437 .1953 c
    1.0497 .1953 l
    1.0497 .1486 1.0798 .0804 1.1888 .0803 c
    1.2864 .0803 1.3186 .1176 1.3325 .1316 c
    1.3442 .1434 1.3617 .1758 1.3617 .2017 c
    1.3617 .6 l
    1.2823 .6 l
    closepath
    } exec
    { % I
    % i box
    1.910 0.0 m
    1.910 1.0 l
    1.485 1.0 l
    1.485 0.0 l
    closepath
    % i body
    1.6525 .196 m
    1.6525 .6 l
    1.7425 .6 l
    1.7425 .196 l
    closepath
    % i dot
    1.6525 .655 m
    1.6525 .755 l
    1.7425 .755 l
    1.7425 .655 l
    closepath
    } exec
    { % T
    % t
    2.2128 .7525 m
    2.1305 .7525 l
    2.1305 .6071 l
    2.0874 .6071 l
    2.0874 .5396 l
    2.1305 .5396 l
    2.1305 .2852 l
    2.1305 .2367 2.1554 .1986 2.2248 .1987 c
    2.2573 .1987 2.2560 .1985 2.2842 .2034 c
    2.2842 .2874 l
    2.2658 .2842 2.2601 .2829 2.2511 .2832 c
    2.2338 .2837 2.2128 .2898 2.2128 .3206 c
    2.2128 .5395 l
    2.2780 .5395 l
    2.2780 .6071 l
    2.2128 .6071 l
    closepath
    % t box
    2.404 0.0 m
    1.980 0.0 l
    1.980 1.0 l
    2.404 1.0 l
    closepath
    } exec
    { % A
    % a box
    2.474 0.0 m
    2.474 1.0 l
    2.888 1.0 l
    2.888 0.0 l
    closepath
    % a outside
    2.5439 .4728 m
    2.6210 .4728 l
    2.6210 .5138 2.6422 .5353 2.6826 .5353 c
    2.7470 .5354 2.7449 .5067 2.7448 .4708 c
    2.7050 .4553 2.7087 .4557 2.6480 .4419 c
    2.5709 .4241 2.5237 .3911 2.5236 .3112 c
    2.5237 .2331 2.5793 .1914 2.6420 .1915 c
    2.7048 .1914 2.7178 .2117 2.7438 .2290 c
    2.7438 .1978 l
    2.8422 .1978 l
    2.8190 .2352 2.8251 .2425 2.8249 .2706 c
    2.8250 .2926 2.8249 .5080 2.8249 .5080 c
    2.8250 .5507 2.8028 .5768 2.7883 .5855 c
    2.7521 .6071 2.7074 .6097 2.6826 .6098 c
    2.5945 .6096 2.5438 .5653 2.5439 .4728 c
    closepath
    % a counter
    2.7448 .3946 m
    2.7448 .3401 l
    2.7448 .3152 2.7145 .2670 2.6550 .2669 c
    2.6260 .2668 2.6098 .2883 2.6097 .3162 c
    2.6098 .3442 2.6335 .3657 2.6536 .3697 c
    2.6745 .3739 2.7226 .3862 2.7448 .3946 c
    closepath
    } exec
    { % L
    % l box
    3.383 0.0 m
    3.383 1.0 l
    2.958 1.0 l
    2.958 0.0 l
    closepath
    % l
    3.1255 .196 m
    3.1255 .765 l
    3.2155 .765 l
    3.2155 .196 l
    closepath
    } exec
    fill
    } bind def

    %
    % % pct `trademark' --
    %
    % Borrow the sans-serif trademark symbol from /Symbol. AFM file says:
    % C 228 ; WX 786 ; N trademarksans ; B 5 293 725 673 ;
    % We scale it down to pct percent of the height of the logo and superscript
    % it some, and voila!
    %

    /trademark {
    /s exch .380 div def
    /w s .725 mul .070 add def
    /u 1 .673 s mul sub def
    w 0 0 u w 1 setcachedevice
    /Symbol findfont s scalefont setfont
    .070 u m % Superscript it
    (\344) show
    } bind def

    %
    % These are two different trademarks (just different sizes).
    %

    /smalltrademark { .15 trademark } def
    /largetrademark { .25 trademark } def

    end % Work dictionary

    currentdict % Get the font dict
    end % Close it up
    /DigitalLogo exch definefont pop % Define the font.

    %%EndFont
    % EndDownloadPSFont

    Peter Weaver
    www.weaverconsulting.ca
    CHARON-VAX CHARON-AXP DataStream Reflection PreciseMail HP Commercial
    Hardware

  17. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    On 16 Dec 2007, 03:10, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael
    Moroney) wrote:
    > kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    > >I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    > >logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    > >photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    > >like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    > Anyone running an old (pre-1993, maybe later) version of VMS w/DECwindows
    > has the blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo on their system. *The one that displays
    > on the screen before you login. *I don't remember the file name other than
    > it doesn't have a normal (.gif/jpg/whatever) extension.

    Does anyone remember the name of the logo file for the VAX and Alpha
    versions of DW-Motif?

    I know it's been posted here before as I used that posting to be able
    to change the logo on my v7.3 login screen. Now that I'm looking an
    8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)
    I'd like to put the digital logo back in place.

    Ta muchly!
    Steve

  18. Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > On 16 Dec 2007, 03:10, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael
    > Moroney) wrote:
    >> kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    >> >I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
    >> >logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
    >> >photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
    >> >like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

    >> Anyone running an old (pre-1993, maybe later) version of VMS w/DECwindows
    >> has the blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo on their system. The one that displays
    >> on the screen before you login. I don't remember the file name other than
    >> it doesn't have a normal (.gif/jpg/whatever) extension.

    > Does anyone remember the name of the logo file for the VAX and Alpha
    > versions of DW-Motif?
    >
    > I know it's been posted here before as I used that posting to be able
    > to change the logo on my v7.3 login screen. Now that I'm looking an
    > 8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)
    > I'd like to put the digital logo back in place.
    >
    > Ta muchly!
    > Steve

    http://www.hp.com/go/vms and then choose the FAQ or:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/faq/vmsfaq.txt

    On page 11-9 there is a description of how to customize the login logo.

    for Alpha:
    ##
    The login logo is stored as an XPM bitmap image in the
    text file
    SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSCOMMON.CDE$DEFAULTS.SYSTEM.APPCONFIG.ICONS.C]DECDTLOGO.PM,
    and it can be changed. Copy the file to
    SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSCOMMON.CDE$DEFAULTS.USER.APPCONFIG.ICONS.C]DECDTLOGO.PM,
    as DECwindows upgrades can replace the system version
    of this file.

    For VAX, you need to write a command procedure to get it done (it is
    discussed briefly in that section of the FAQ)

  19. Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    In article
    ,
    etmsreec@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > I'm looking an
    > 8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)

    What sort of Perl issues are you having?

  20. Re: Perl issues? (was Re: looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo)

    On 5 Jan, 04:09, "Craig A. Berry"
    wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > *etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    > > I'm looking an
    > > 8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)

    > What sort of Perl issues are you having?
    >
    > --

    I need to use the VMS::Mail module in order to retrive email from my
    ISP (they only provide POP3 mailboxes for ADSL customers). The kit
    was having problems building and installing with VMS V8.3 and the
    version of Perl shipping from HP.

    As of this morning, I have a horrible feeling that my system disk has
    died anyway as it was going into mount verification, coming out, then
    going in the out etc (you get the idea). (

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast